Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

F430 or GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naparsei
CS is amazing. However, there were considerably more than 378 made...

I thought that was the published number. What is the number?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outliers like Mooty aside, it seems the more a Porsche costs, the less it's driven. Fear of mileage is not unique to Ferrari.

btw, there are outliers in the Ferrari camp too...

Originally Posted by allegretto
4) People actually drive a Porsche
Old 09-17-2007, 05:57 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know anyone in the GT3 camp that is an outlier in SoCal anyway and on the flipside I know
one or 2 F cars guys that dont suffer the Fcar disease. Look at dupont and see the pages and pages of 03,04,05 Fcars with less than 3000 miles-You will be hard pressed to find GT3s like that.
Like Allgretto said most Porsche owners DRIVE their cars.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I am with Allegretto on this one. I had a 2005 F 430 bought new. Sold it this spring with 5000 miles on it. Car was nice but useless on track (did not have carbon brakes). No mechanical issues but the F1 tranny got old pretty fast. I sold it because I almost never drove it. I do love the fact that low miles 430s do not depreciate - I got my money back. That in itself makes buying a mid engine Ferrari (except at the end of a model run) a smart thing to do. On the other hand if I had pit 30,000 miles on it ... the story would be different. One thing I wish Porsche would do is make the interior of a 911 smell like the Ferrari. The aroma of leather is intoxicating.

Best,

Best,
Old 09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
I'll probably be dead before I get through all that. Good thing there are plenty of Porsches available.
Exactly!! I love the F-Cars and modern ones are far more usable and reliable than what they used to be. But it appears that either you have to be stupid-rich to dont care how much above real-cost MSRP you are paying or be a close friend and long standing customer of the F-dealer to get a new one, like you would any other car; like a Porsche.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:27 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I am with Allegretto on this one. I had a 2005 F 430 bought new. Sold it this spring with 5000 miles on it. Car was nice but useless on track (did not have carbon brakes). No mechanical issues but the F1 tranny got old pretty fast. I sold it because I almost never drove it. I do love the fact that low miles 430s do not depreciate - I got my money back. That in itself makes buying a mid engine Ferrari (except at the end of a model run) a smart thing to do. On the other hand if I had pit 30,000 miles on it ... the story would be different. One thing I wish Porsche would do is make the interior of a 911 smell like the Ferrari. The aroma of leather is intoxicating.

Best,
Best,
I would love to do the same (have the F-car to drive it on ocassion on road and track), and keep the Porsceh and Lotus for the heavy track duty but cant seem to find a way to get a new one at MSRP within the next decade!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

You'll also be hard pressed to find 996 GT3s with "normal" Porsche miles on them -- 10-12K miles per year. For another data point along the price vs. mileage curve, we could then take a look at CGTs to see if those Porsche owners DRIVE their cars!

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Look at dupont and see the pages and pages of 03,04,05 Fcars with less than 3000 miles-You will be hard pressed to find GT3s like that. Like Allgretto said most Porsche owners DRIVE their cars.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought that was the published number. What is the number?
You guess is as a good as anyones:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...light=registry

The consensus seems to be around 1200. Your number may be close to accurate for the US though.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies guys. That's a lot of insight that I'm sure everyone appreciated. When I first posted the thread, I was 90% sure I was going for the trade. This has dropped to 40%. The main thing is I love to drive the 7 GT3 even if it's 2X a week. And it seems, to get a decent resale value for the 430, I would be only able to drive it 2X to 3X a month. I just don't think it adds up to a wise choice. The only motivating factor is the fact that the seller is offering US$216K for a Nov. build. Crazy? Not really. He's just so fed up with the 430 after losing one to a fire (purely mechanical) two months ago. The unit is a replacement one from the agent.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by naparsei
You guess is as a good as anyones:

The consensus seems to be around 1200. Your number may be close to accurate for the US though.
Yes, I believe you are correct and my number was for the US. It was a number that stuck with me.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 AM
tdf360
Pro

At our track, when someone shows up with an F of any flavor it's a giggle. We take a pool on how long he'll stay out there. Usually 4-7 laps and the brakes are fried. It's easy to pass someone cutting grass. So if you really want a 430 on the track, go with the $24K CCB's or have very short expectations.
I run full 30 min sessions with stock steel brakes, changing only the pads to Ferodo DS 2500s. Stock fluid. Brakes are magnificent. Most stock pads, Porsche included, (non-PCCB) are not really suitable for the track.

Gary
Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 AM
tdf360
Pro

I am with Allegretto on this one. I had a 2005 F 430 bought new. Sold it this spring with 5000 miles on it. Car was nice but useless on track (did not have carbon brakes).
Bob, Bob, Bob. With no mods except brake pads to my steel-brake 430 I can lap with CS at Sears Point. Useless? Good grief.

Gary
Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdf360
Bob, Bob, Bob. With no mods except brake pads to my steel-brake 430 I can lap with CS at Sears Point. Useless? Good grief.

Gary
Gary,

Just imagine what you could accomplish in a Porsche with your skill set.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:15 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tdf360
I run full 30 min sessions with stock steel brakes, changing only the pads to Ferodo DS 2500s. Stock fluid. Brakes are magnificent. Most stock pads, Porsche included, (non-PCCB) are not really suitable for the track.

Gary
All I can comment at that is to say that your experience and mine are very different. I might add though that my home track has a great many turns and requires hauling down quite a bit. Even when I changed to Pagid Orange and Motul 600 it was not enough for full out racing. Just no way.

OTOH, I've had a 997 C4S, a TT (CCB's), an RS (CCB's) and a 3 (CCB's) to the track and no problems at all right off the showroom floor.

I guess YMMV...
Old 09-18-2007, 11:17 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Best,

Best,
I agree, the F1 almost takes the fun out of it all. Why is that? Do we just miss using the co-ordination? Or is it "too easy",or what?

Quick Reply: F430 or GT3?