Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3RS vs GT2 Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 GT3RS vs GT2 Comparisons

I have minimal time ina GT2. owned one years ago,bot for the collection and ended up selling it, taking a small hit, but thankfully well well above where they are now.

I have someone who wants to trade a 997 GT2 that he says he will be getting on an allocation (reputable collector though noone i've ever done anything previous with). He could not get a GT3RS and has been just watching the market, the cars and now has this interest in the GT3RS. You never know but I think he likes the curvy, driving characteristics of the GT3 though i gotta imagine the Gt2 is wild also.

So he proposes his GT2, once he takes it, for either my black, orange or green GT3RS, MSRP for MSRP. hence, i'd have to pony up the difference between, as i think his Gt2 costs more than the highest GT3RS i have, though not by that much. So i'd be effectively shifting the 'above msrp' premium i paid over to him, and he'd be getting a car he'd had to layout that 'above msrp" to ge t a'new gt3rs" if there , when he get his, any "new" ones still kicking.

that gt2 seems real exclusive and part of me, as a collector thinks its a wise move since i'd still have more than 1 RS to collect and 1 to drive.

i just have such a bad taste in my mouth from my last foray into the Gt2 market, and sheer raw "boulevard" speed doesnt necessarily do it for me. i dont drive that harshly or fastly anyway. i like curvy cars that rail thru turns.

What do you guys think so far of the GT2? gonna be a winner? are there options or spec's that will be "must haves" (kind of like pccbs on the RS's) for collectibility? what kind of markup over MSRP do you think they will sell for? what are the ranges of MSRPs on those things and whats the intended market.

OldGuy gave me some great advice (fyi, that guy knows a TON about just about every generation of pcar). He sort of referenced the GT2 as the turbo/tuxedo crowd, while the GT3/RS is the recaro seat, track rippin' crowd.

worth trading? whats your take?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:48 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were in your position I will consider the trade, since you will have 2 Gt3 RS left anyways, but market value to market value. Given the price of the GT2, I don't think it will command the same premium that the RS has right now.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:06 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

DO IT!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:09 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

what do you like about the GT2, what do you not like about it? what makes this different than the 996 GT2 which unless my math is off, took a far greater hit proportionately than the 996 GT3s.

right now, the 996 GT2 is a good value i think. at 200k where it was 3 years ago<?> it is not.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
DO IT!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:37 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

GT2's will be hard to get. With limited RS and even GT3 production (2008), people are starting to believe Porsche will limit production. Allocations are still very hard to come buy. This will be a 30 over sticker car for at least months, maybe more. You could make the swap, drive the GT2 for 6 months, and flip the car out, essentially breaking even. Not bad.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you mainly seem to buy cars as collectables, it doesn’t make much since to me unless you enjoy watching the value go down every day. 200k+ markup on a supped up Turbo doesn’t make good fiscal since to me. Don’t get me wrong, the 7-GT2 looks better and also looks to be a real performer. They only brought ~300 996 GT2’s from 02-05 to the US last time and look what happened. I just saw a GT2 with 8k miles for 89k which was originally 200k. That has gotta hurt. Stick with the RS’s if you want to keep your money.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Perhaps minority opinion here;

The RS is very good an it is clear that 400 or so will get to NA. The GT-2 is scheduled for half as many.

I have a Z 06 and a GT-3 now. I'd really like the Z's power on the 3's chassis. I'll bet I'm not alone.

I have one on reserve. Better hurry up and get on a list Steve. This one's for you!

Last edited by allegretto; 09-07-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

I snowboard. one of the reasons i like it so much is that while i do like speed, i dont crave speed. what i like so much more when snowboarding is making smooth luscious carving turns, edge to edge, no braking..just cruising.
my turbo is notably 'quicker' off the block that the gt3, but where the turbo is far more plush and softer, the gt3rs is a carving machine.

it did cause me to wonder why something like a gt3rs doesnt have a turbo engine in it...to expensive? i dont know the technology that well, and some might argue that the gt2 is exactly that...but based on what i've seen, and basd on the 996 gt2, gt3, i tink the differences are far more.

basd on the numbers i saw, the gt3 looks to be like 3/4 of a second slower zero to 60. i would imagine for guys racing, coming out of some swooping s-curves, you'd want to be back to max speed asap.
who knows.

its amazing the quality of cars that porsche puts together for the marketplace. we're a pretty lucky group.
Originally Posted by allegretto
Perhaps minority opinion here;

The RS is very good an it is clear that 400 or so will get to NA. The GT-2 is scheduled for half as many.

I have a Z 06 and a GT-3 now. I'd really like the Z's power on the 3's chassis. I'll bet I'm not alone.

I have one on reserve. Better hurry up and get on a list Steve. This one's for you!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

So let me get this straight...you're considering selling a car you just paid (I'm guessing $20k) over MSRP for and haven't driven...for MSRP? Then buying a GT2? And you're even remotely concerned about depreciation?
Old 09-08-2007, 03:44 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

a few responses below seemed to hit the nail on the head: that the RS may probably keeps it value better; i dont think its concern on a per se level about depreciation. if i were, i wouldnt have bot the RS righ tnow but would have waited. but ultimately, if you're going to spend up, pay premiums, pay big money for car, you'd like to be with the horse that wins the race.

think about how silly it might be for anyone to pay so much above msrp....manufacturer builds the thing...their costs is X. they then mark it up and make Y profit (probably a reasonable profit)...they sell to a dealer who then marks it up and they make a nice profit...(somewhere i had read these 911s maybe profit the dealers about 20k car, no idea if thats right or not)...so then beyond what the manufacturer feels its worth, what they tell the dealer its worth, beyond those two parties making money and publicly advertised price for these metal boxes...we foolish consumers then bid the darn thing up another, using your figure, 20k over....

i mean, what is the value of these cars? melted down, its just a heap of metal. it has some value as a piece of transportation. atleast with , for eaxample a publicly traded company, you have assets, book value, income , PE rations... there is something of substance and established multiples for determining valuations. if noone wants a company at 2x cash or 3x earnings, tehn maybe you buy the thing and when people better better value it, you do well.

using your premium, if i paid MSRP+20 for the Gt3rs, and the GT2 wold be MSRP+20 as well (rough idea wha i've heard them going for), then yeah as noted, its an MSRP for MSRP transaction. i'm just moving that premium and the increased MSRP from the 3 to the 2. and thats all 'm trying to figure out.

which horse do you bet on? thats what any of us are trying to decide. but most of this sound slike its about economics. sure, thats a part of the decision-making, but all of that is based on demand, and of course supply. supply i cant control, but demand if what we're trying to figure out. is the car going to be a winner? thats the puzzle.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So let me get this straight...you're considering selling a car you just paid (I'm guessing $20k) over MSRP for and haven't driven...for MSRP? Then buying a GT2? And you're even remotely concerned about depreciation?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:03 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by spg993tt
a few responses below seemed to hit the nail on the head: that the RS may probably keeps it value better; i dont think its concern on a per se level about depreciation. if i were, i wouldnt have bot the RS righ tnow but would have waited. but ultimately, if you're going to spend up, pay premiums, pay big money for car, you'd like to be with the horse that wins the race.

think about how silly it might be for anyone to pay so much above msrp....manufacturer builds the thing...their costs is X. they then mark it up and make Y profit (probably a reasonable profit)...they sell to a dealer who then marks it up and they make a nice profit...(somewhere i had read these 911s maybe profit the dealers about 20k car, no idea if thats right or not)...so then beyond what the manufacturer feels its worth, what they tell the dealer its worth, beyond those two parties making money and publicly advertised price for these metal boxes...we foolish consumers then bid the darn thing up another, using your figure, 20k over....

i mean, what is the value of these cars? melted down, its just a heap of metal. it has some value as a piece of transportation. atleast with , for eaxample a publicly traded company, you have assets, book value, income , PE rations... there is something of substance and established multiples for determining valuations. if noone wants a company at 2x cash or 3x earnings, tehn maybe you buy the thing and when people better better value it, you do well.

using your premium, if i paid MSRP+20 for the Gt3rs, and the GT2 wold be MSRP+20 as well (rough idea wha i've heard them going for), then yeah as noted, its an MSRP for MSRP transaction. i'm just moving that premium and the increased MSRP from the 3 to the 2. and thats all 'm trying to figure out.

which horse do you bet on? thats what any of us are trying to decide. but most of this sound slike its about economics. sure, thats a part of the decision-making, but all of that is based on demand, and of course supply. supply i cant control, but demand if what we're trying to figure out. is the car going to be a winner? thats the puzzle.
As you point out above, you don't care about speed so an RS is all you care to eat. I feel the GT-2 has the potential to carve as a 3 but kick your backside like a rented mule. I think there will be a healthy demand for that kind of performance.

But, I can't control supply or demand, heck I can't even control myself sometimes!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it, Gt2 is the real thing..
Old 09-08-2007, 03:41 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default 996 gt2

so why do you think the gt2 996 , price-wise has suffered so much? from what i hear, the 996 gt2 is another crazy animal, just all performance, power and elegance. rips.

not questioning its performance on the road, just on the wallet.
why do you think those cars fell from 200k to 120k in 3 years?
to me seems like noone really loved the narrower body of the 996 and once guys dont want that, and then they advise they are coming with a 997 nice fat tush, wide ****, well then that just about puts a wrap on the 996.

u think there was more to it, or just that?

dotn get me wrong, we dont have to really engage in this kind of analysis. i just find it interesting in trying to figure out the markets, if for no other reason than it makes me feel like i'm learning something. after all thats half the fun, learning something new.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The GT2 is the biggest marketing ploy Porsche has. They take a TT- take stuff AWAY and charge MORE.
pretty good gig if you can get it. The add more HP than the TT by what 30? is that worth 70K? I dont think so. its a bastard child anyway you wont see it in any meaningful races. the power delivery is not linear like a GT3 and its just not as fun. So is that worth 70K more than a tt or 97K more than a Base GT3 or 67K more than an RS? it will be just an asterisk in Porsche annals. If you have the space and bankroll for the extra car then maybe-but I just dont see the reason for this car.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:16 PM
gete3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Europeans, the 200-300 km/h accelleration (and the 7.32 Ring time claimed by WR) combined with GT3 dynamics are compelling raisons d'etere for the GT2.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3RS vs GT2 Comparisons