Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT2? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007 | 01:54 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frayed
The most vocal tend to be non-owners. That's where I get frustrated and have learned to ignore the jackassery.
Funny, it's like that on many Forums.

"jackassery"

Texas term?

Old 08-27-2007 | 02:14 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Pcar I was only calling out stuka period-he comes here in this forum and never has a positive word to say about anything-if you want to go to the 996 GT2 board and rag on our cars fine- in fact thats a better place to do it. But to come into the 997 forum and rag on the sunroof ad naseum on and on is going too far.Especially when he doesnt even use his car to the point where he would even notice.
To come into the 997 forum and rag on the 997 GT2 ad-naseum on and on is going too far. I was not calling out GT2 drivers just this one whom has nothing good to say about our cars. He has continued to say how new GT2 drivers are hamfisted blah blah blah- I was using his own over inflated ego against him. Continued comments about how no one can handle a GT2 but 996 guys was getting old. I have nothing against 996 guys who come in here and take part in the debate but this continued nagging gets old.
I will listen the first time and the second but the 6th 7th and 8th times I get tired of the negativeness
Since you dont hang out here all the time I doubt you are familiar with the history. So you have no clue of what I meant with the ALMS comment-He is claiming only He is man enough to handle a 996 GT2 - You should really do your homework before jumping in this thread or on me. I have no ego what so ever. I just get tired of all the ragging.
So are you trying to get in good with him and on his christmas list? because you make no sense.
Didn't intend to get in the middle of an ongoing argument - I guess I didn't get the whole picture before I jumped in.

Stuka, if your Christmas list is still in play, I'll take a 997GT2, in white, special-ordered with no PSM. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:16 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The truth is these driver aides are federal mandates anyway so no matter what you buy in the future its going to have stability management. No use whining.
Well, actually... whining and complaining to our representatives is exactly how we can get such stupid federal mandates reversed!
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:45 PM
stuka
Pro

Pcar I was only calling out stuka period-he comes here in this forum and never has a positive word to say about anything-if you want to go to the 996 GT2 board and rag on our cars fine- in fact thats a better place to do it. But to come into the 997 forum and rag on the sunroof ad naseum on and on is going too far.Especially when he doesnt even use his car to the point where he would even notice.
You have a few BMW's, so I will remind you why "whining" works. Do you remember when the 2000 E46 had the overboosted steering? And people complained and complained, and complained. And what happened? Right, a retrofit kit was made available to unscrew the messed up steering.

I have told a few dealers who approached me about the 997 that I will only be interested if I can get it without sunroof. Perhaps it doesn't work in the P car workd, I don't know, only time will tell.

As far as this whole "don't use the car to the point where he will even notice." I had a sunroofed P car, and I noticed the damn creaking every time I drove over a berm on the track, and every time my helmet bumped against the headliner.

To come into the 997 forum and rag on the 997 GT2 ad-naseum on and on is going too far. I was not calling out GT2 drivers just this one whom has nothing good to say about our cars. He has continued to say how new GT2 drivers are hamfisted blah blah blah- I was using his own over inflated ego against him. Continued comments about how no one can handle a GT2 but 996 guys was getting old. I have nothing against 996 guys who come in here and take part in the debate but this continued nagging gets old.
I will listen the first time and the second but the 6th 7th and 8th times I get tired of the negativeness
Don't you think a current GT2 owner might just be interested in how the new one is going to be? So, you want it one way, and I want it another way. And as far as non owners go, no one has a 997 GT2 yet.

And you know and I know the hamfisted comment is totally spot on. There were plenty in the 996 GT2 world. Search the interweb for crashed pictures ON THE PUBLIC ROAD, let along the track. So, why is PSM there? To "help" one at 150 at Willow? Or to help one at "look at me and my 0 to 60 in 3 second car!"

Since you dont hang out here all the time I doubt you are familiar with the history. So you have no clue of what I meant with the ALMS comment-He is claiming only He is man enough to handle a 996 GT2 - You should really do your homework before jumping in this thread or on me. I have no ego what so ever. I just get tired of all the ragging.
So are you trying to get in good with him and on his christmas list? because you make no sense.
No, I said that, like Pole said, it is child's play to "drfit." And I also said that autox classes are way more effective at keeping your GT2 in one piece than any electronics.

I don't understand why some of you are getting completely emo. It's a car. Every car has it's problems. I don't get out of shape when someone tells me that PCCB is a waste of $$$, that the GT2 is overpriced, that it rides like ****, etc, and etc. After all, no car is perfect, and I don't associate who I am with what I drive.
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:54 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by pole position
Dude,

Step up or step out with your nonsense. You talk about ***** with your "drifting", lol, you must have very poor skills/confidence that the first word out of your mouth was that you don't want to ball up your pride and joy at W Springs or are you just afraid I expose your BS when I need a tele zoom in my mirrors to know where you are ? ? So hot laps means crashing ? You are so beyond green, you could not even get a bus back to just green. Scared of putting the GT2 to a high speed track? lol, THAT IS THE PLACE where that car shines , period, but you will never experience how it behaves at the limit because you ain't going there in your life time.
Pole, seriously, perhaps it's getting lost between you and old guy. I do not go to timed events, because I am not rich enough to write a check for a balled up GT2 should anything happens. Is that clear enough? No timed events is ever ever covered by insurance. And all I was talking about was the fact that the only thing PSM does is give you false sense of confidence and get you in bigger trouble, I have seen it on the track in fast group, and I am sure you have too.

And as far as Willow goes, it just does not interest me. However, I have been to Button Willow, Sears, Vegas bullring, and THill quite a few times, and I much prefer them over Willow, for the simple fact that blind turns, elevation changes, and off camber blind turns are just more interesting to me.

Some people just don't like sunroof and electronics, those same people don't need to be in ALMS to appreciate them.
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:55 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by pcar964
Well, actually... whining and complaining to our representatives is exactly how we can get such stupid federal mandates reversed!
"Whining" works extremely well in the BMW world. We whined about overboosted steering, ****ty brakes, grenading engines, and mandatory sunroof.

You know what happened?

BMW relented every single time.

Maybe it doesn't work in the P car world?
Old 08-27-2007 | 02:58 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by allegretto
Funny, it's like that on many Forums.

"jackassery"

Texas term?

I don't understand why some on this forum just cannot help themselves getting completely emo and personal.

No one here owns a 997 GT2. So what makes your opinion of the car right, and mine wrong?
Old 08-27-2007 | 03:04 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stuka your PM is full
Old 08-27-2007 | 03:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

DE's ain't covered by most insurance companies either, not just timed events. Track experience or not, that fact alone might make one think twice about pounding a 130k car at the track anything more than a couple of times a yr.
jmo, back to your corners.
Old 08-27-2007 | 03:37 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
DE's ain't covered by most insurance companies either, not just timed events. Track experience or not, that fact alone might make one think twice about pounding a 130k car at the track anything more than a couple of times a yr.
jmo, back to your corners.
You are of course, correct.

There are still some who cover DE, but you will need to have your policy reviewed by a competent attorney.

However, if you live in MA, the state insurance commission has decided that no policy is to cover DE.
Old 08-27-2007 | 03:39 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Even if you are covered the policy may get dropped when time for renewal.
Old 08-27-2007 | 03:45 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Even if you are covered the policy may get dropped when time for renewal.
Yes, they will usually drop you, speaking as someone who used to work in the insurance/bodyshop industry.

But, it sure beats writing a 130K or whatever 6 figure check for a car that's not even driveable any more, eh?
Old 08-27-2007 | 05:12 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stuka
I don't understand why some on this forum just cannot help themselves getting completely emo and personal.

No one here owns a 997 GT2. So what makes your opinion of the car right, and mine wrong?
Pardon me, but it is you with the personal references and emotion;

You have droned on, boringly, nauseatingly about electronic stability systems in these cars and made certain that we all understood that you are posessed of driving skills the average Porsche owner lacks. You have referred numerous times to these other beknighted souls in neagtive terms. Your ardor and persistance leaves one no other conclusion then that you must be emotionally invested in these points of view.

You have gone on, tooth and nail to answer and indeed avenge posts that you disagree with. You have authored posts that are so heavily laden with Testosterone that it is near embarassing. In one thread about Tip, you actually started to hold forth on how one should drive stick shift in traffic for the unknowledgable (you seem to want so hard to be an expert). What other conclusion are sensible folks to draw except that you have some personal stake in us KNOWING how great you are? And by overwhelming implication and innuendo that us non- 996 GT-2 owners would have a hard time emulating your feats of derring-do.

My opinion is neither right or wrong, not sure where you get that. But unlike you, I've reserved one. You, OTOH are content to go on and on about vehicles when you have presented no evidence that you have ever driven them at any speed, much less the harrowing speed you must be piloting your "speed racer" at.

Please, don't call on me again. I had one reply ready to send, but I dumped it since I didn't want any other non-997 user coming to the rescue of their Knight in Distress. I'm really just a nice warm-fuzzy type at heart and don't want anyone getting the wrong impression.

Old 08-27-2007 | 05:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well written Allegretto!! Nicely put too.
Old 08-27-2007 | 05:47 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

How will I KNOW when I am qualified to own/drive a GT2? Will I get a tingle somewhere, or an obvious inflated sense of self-worth, or an urge to turn in a lesser car laden with electronic driving aids and a sunroof? How will I know?

Quick Reply: New GT2? Why?