Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT2? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:08 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
My brother and I are recieivng the only two allocations which my dealer will get....
which dealer is that and when can i come check them out?

and will the GT2 have a PSM OFF switch? that way you can be a purist of you would like, or save your ***.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer is Ray Catena in Edison.

Not sure about any switches yet but then again I never had a "*** save switch" in any race cars either.

Last edited by Polar Peter; 08-26-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The real question is can we get it without a sunroof the way we want it, or is it mandatory the way the dealers want it
Old 08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
997TTS
Intermediate

Sunroof not available on GT2.

2-stage PSM

1. Stability control
2. Traction control

1st stage disables Stability control and leaves traction control active.
2nd stage disables both systems and will NOT activate itself even if ABS locks up, you are on your own...like some of you want.
Always better to have a choice isn't it.

Front:

- 1.30' camber
+ 6' toe-in

Rear:

- 1.30' camber
+ 13' toe-in
Old 08-26-2007, 10:24 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by 997TTS
Sunroof not available on GT2.

2-stage PSM

1. Stability control
2. Traction control

1st stage disables Stability control and leaves traction control active.
2nd stage disables both systems and will NOT activate itself even if ABS locks up, you are on your own...like some of you want.
Always better to have a choice isn't it.
The beauty of the 996 GT2 is that it takes more than just $$ to be able to drive the car.

That is not so with 997 GT2. Any hamfisted driver can now drive it without it pimp slapping the driver and sending that said driver to the ditch via FedEx. Oh well, progress I guess.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:29 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the beauty of the 996 GT2 is we have their owners who are so great in their skills they can come here and educate us on how wrong Porsche is on the design of their cars. I keep looking for all the great GT2 drivers who we all know are on a level of their own, at the track, but they are probably at the ALMS races driving their RSRs. Surely thats the only other car worthy of a 996 GT2 owner.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:45 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I think the beauty of the 996 GT2 is we have their owners who are so great in their skills they can come here and educate us on how wrong Porsche is on the design of their cars. I keep looking for all the great GT2 drivers who we all know are on a level of their own, at the track, but they are probably at the ALMS races driving their RSRs. Surely thats the only other car worthy of a 996 GT2 owner.
They put in PSM to try to tame the car so people who otherwise have no business driving a 500HP non linear power car can drive the car without killing themselves. Just like they put AWD in the Turbos to save the rich poseurs from killing themselves like they did in droves in 930 and the 964 Turbos.

It is quite alarming that you equate having basic RWD skills with being at ALMS, sarcasm or not.

And having seen way too many "PSM is teh awesome" clueless drivers kiss the armoco and sometimes came close to taking out others at the track, I trust guys in the 996 GT cars more, for the simple fact that they KNOW that the cars will not hesitate to take them to the armoco, unlike the people who wear out their rear brakes pads faster than the front ones in their 911's.

The fact remains that with the 996, if you drive the car without respect, you will soon end up with a balled up GT car, that is what many are not crazy about with the direction of the 997.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:47 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by dark knight
The real question is can we get it without a sunroof the way we want it, or is it mandatory the way the dealers want it
There was a spy pic of a GT2 with sunroof, so, I am not getting my hopes up.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:51 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by pcar964
I don't want to start a flame war here, but come on you must be kidding - you guys who laud the benefits of traction control really need to look up the definition of "sports car." Street or track, a car that saves you from your lack of skill does not fit the definition. Go play a video game if you want to go fast without consequences. And leave the GT2 for real drivers.
According to some people here, unless you are driving at ALMS, you NEED PSM in order to just survive the drive, since it is apparently super dangerous and impossible to drive for anyone who isn't a professional.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I am just thankful for all the positive thoughtful input
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuka
I drove my GT2 sideways I think 6 times today, nothing uncontrollable about it unless you have zero RWD skills.

A 964 Turbo is way way more "dangerous."
Stop.

You talk the talk but you ain't walking the walk.

"Drifting" in first or second gear , because that is what you do, in front of a club is complete childs play even with 800 RWD hp. You have never ever contolled oversteer at 130-150 mph. If you think I am full of hot air, I will be more than happy to meet you in the next six months ,schedule permitting ,at Willow Springs to find out if you can hang at full bore hot laps.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:57 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by pole position
Stop.

You talk the talk but you ain't walking the walk.

"Drifting" in first or second gear , because that is what you do, in front of a club is complete childs play even with 800 RWD hp. You have never ever contolled oversteer at 130-150 mph. If you think I am full of hot air, I will be more than happy to meet you in the next six months ,schedule permitting ,at Willow Springs to find out if you can hang at full bore hot laps.
You just made my point for me, it's child's play at 1st and 2nd. This is when most guys get in trouble doging around on the streets. So, if you need electronics to save you just for that, what does that say about you (not you specifically)?

And I remain unconvinced that the PSM, TC, whatever, will save you at 130-150 with it fully engaged, read on.

When I still had my Turbo, I did the PSM test a few times at between 90 and 110 out in the middle of nowhere (quick and hard left right transition like autox), and in no time was I looking out front through the side window. Given that, I failed to see how PSM will do anything for you other than creating a false sense of confidence, which as I am sure you have seen, has caused a few track stoppage with guys and their cars on the armoco.

That's all I am trying to say, basic RWD. As far as lap time goes, I think I already posted that I am too poor to write a check for a balled up GT2, so I go to non timed event.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:59 AM
DMin
Instructor

Originally Posted by stuka
You just made my point for me, it's child's play at 1st and 2nd. This is when most guys get in trouble doging around on the streets. So, if you need electronics to save you just for that, what does that say about you (not you specifically)?

And I remain unconvinced that the PSM, TC, whatever, will save you at 130-150 with it fully engaged, read on.

When I still had my Turbo, I did the PSM test a few times at between 90 and 110 out in the middle of nowhere (quick and hard left right transition like autox), and in no time was I looking out front through the side window. Given that, I failed to see how PSM will do anything for you other than creating a false sense of confidence, which as I am sure you have seen, has caused a few track stoppage with guys and their cars on the armoco.

That's all I am trying to say, basic RWD. As far as lap time goes, I think I already posted that I am too poor to write a check for a balled up GT2, so I go to non timed event.
stuka

Your machismo about electronic nannies is difficult to bear. I would guess you would level that same criticism on the Carrera GT since it, too, has TC?

The thing that I find curious about the GT2 is that one might argue that the nannies are there to "broaden appeal" and yet they are supposedly going to limit production to 218 units. A stronger argument may be that the nannies are there for those who want to use the GT2 as a daily driver with the ability to turn off the nannies for "spirited driving".

Is that such a bad thing?

DMin
Old 08-27-2007, 03:11 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by DMin
stuka

Your machismo about electronic nannies is difficult to bear. I would guess you would level that same criticism on the Carrera GT since it, too, has TC?

The thing that I find curious about the GT2 is that one might argue that the nannies are there to "broaden appeal" and yet they are supposedly going to limit production to 218 units. A stronger argument may be that the nannies are there for those who want to use the GT2 as a daily driver with the ability to turn off the nannies for "spirited driving".

Is that such a bad thing?

DMin
Since when is not wanting PSM = ALMS driver = machismo???

Are all 996 GT2/3 owners with their cars in tact ALMS machismo drivers? Last I checked, there was no PSM/TC/AWD/PTM. etc on these cars.

And FYI, plenty of people I know do daily drive their GT2/3's, myself included. Makes you wonder how anyone could have lived to move on from 930 and 964 Turbo's, which were (are) way more difficult to control than their modern day equivalent, the GT2.

Like Pole Position said, 1st and 2nd gear drifting or correcting should be child's play, and if not, autox classes are a lot cheaper than a balled up GT2 during "spirited driving," which I suspect is what the PSM is there for.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by DMin
stuka

Your machismo about electronic nannies is difficult to bear. I would guess you would level that same criticism on the Carrera GT since it, too, has TC
I am not fond of cabs, so I never cared for the CGT.

And in case you missed the memo, tons of CGT's were crashed with TC. TC only gives you false sense of confidence and control. When it comes time to really save your bacon, it will not. Search the interwebs for crashed CGT pictures, there are tons.

And yes, since it doesn't defy the law of physics, and only makes hamfisted drivers get in bigger trouble than they otherwise would have, I don't think the CGT should have come with it either.

Some Autox classes is not going to kill anyone, just do that, and you won't need TC/PSM for "spirited daily drives."

Quick Reply: New GT2? Why?