Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT2? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:29 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

So if your not rich enough to pay for a balled up GT2 -which would take a considerable amount of talent at WillowSprings given the lack of walls and the generous amount of room of runoff- why in the world would you complain for 200 posts about the sunroof in a GT3? Seems as though you would never be in the position to care. You would never be in the position to even notice the poorly designed incredible amount of poorly placed paperweight.
I am not fond of cabs, so I never cared for the CGT.
And I appreciate your educating me to the fact the CGT is a cabriolet- I didnt know that either but thats the fun of having the ever humble 996 GT2 drivers around.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 AM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
So if your not rich enough to pay for a balled up GT2 -which would take a considerable amount of talent at WillowSprings given the lack of walls and the generous amount of room of runoff- why in the world would you complain for 200 posts about the sunroof in a GT3? Seems as though you would never be in the position to care. You would never be in the position to even notice the poorly designed incredible amount of poorly placed paperweight.

And I appreciate your educating me to the fact the CGT is a cabriolet- I didnt know that either but thats the fun of having the ever humble 996 GT2 drivers around.
Seriously, why are you taking everything so personally? We are simply talking about cars, are we not?

Why does it bother you so much that not everyone is in love with the idea of having a GT car with a sunroof?

And lastly, the balled up GT2 comment is in reference to the fact that no normal insurance covers timed events, thought you knew that already. Not everyone drives at Willow. Some like it better at Sears and THill.

You love your sunroof, you love a targa, open top, whatever you want to call it, CGT, I don't. What's the problem?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuka
Seriously, why are you taking everything so personally? We are simply talking about cars, are we not?

Why does it bother you so much that not everyone is in love with the idea of having a GT car with a sunroof?

And lastly, the balled up GT2 comment is in reference to the fact that no normal insurance covers timed events, thought you knew that already. Not everyone drives at Willow. Some like it better at Sears and THill.

You love your sunroof, you love a targa, open top, whatever you want to call it, CGT, I don't. What's the problem?
Dude,

Step up or step out with your nonsense. You talk about ***** with your "drifting", lol, you must have very poor skills/confidence that the first word out of your mouth was that you don't want to ball up your pride and joy at W Springs or are you just afraid I expose your BS when I need a tele zoom in my mirrors to know where you are ? ? So hot laps means crashing ? You are so beyond green, you could not even get a bus back to just green. Scared of putting the GT2 to a high speed track? lol, THAT IS THE PLACE where that car shines , period, but you will never experience how it behaves at the limit because you ain't going there in your life time.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts
Default you're not supposed to track leased cars anyway, right?

weird I thought the cgt was a supercar too...haha. top or no top the cgt is the best looking car porsche has made in decades.

I could go out and buy a 997 gt2, but I'd rather have my daily driver audi,
a 997gt3 and stupid fast andial 993 turbo- that way if I ball one up on turn X at Xtrack at least i've got two more cars to fart around town in. Of course I only leased my RS4 so maybe I should just track the porsches...

I've tracked my turbo, and after cornering at 110 with around 600hp on race gas, ****e bridgestone s-02's, and no traction nannies- maybe that means I'll be able to drive a gt2 one day without crashing it... lol
Old 08-27-2007, 09:27 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 997TTS
Sunroof not available on GT2.

2-stage PSM

1. Stability control
2. Traction control

1st stage disables Stability control and leaves traction control active.
2nd stage disables both systems and will NOT activate itself even if ABS locks up, you are on your own...like some of you want.
Always better to have a choice isn't it.

Front:

- 1.30' camber
+ 6' toe-in

Rear:

- 1.30' camber
+ 13' toe-in
That's good news then.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I've tracked my turbo, and after cornering at 110 with around 600hp on race gas, ****e bridgestone s-02's, and no traction nannies- maybe that means I'll be able to drive a gt2 one day without crashing it... lol
Wow, tell us more about that Andial tt! I have been eyeing 993tt's lately and the power ceiling seemed lower than the watercooled cars. Must be a wicked ride.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think the beauty of the 996 GT2 is we have their owners who are so great in their skills they can come here and educate us on how wrong Porsche is on the design of their cars. I keep looking for all the great GT2 drivers who we all know are on a level of their own, at the track, but they are probably at the ALMS races driving their RSRs. Surely thats the only other car worthy of a 996 GT2 owner.
OldGuy, while I understand where you're coming from, you go too far... some members on this board are so self-conscious of their own lack of driving skill, that they think to themselves "nobody else can handle these cars either, especially not some anonymous guy on a chat forum." Well I have news for you - there are plenty of good drivers out there who can handle a GT2 and put it through its paces. The driving talent pool is not limited to the few rich guys who can afford to race RSRs.

Just because you can't drive a GT2 at the limit, don't fool yourself into believing that it's the sole province of "racecar drivers" - there are anonymous average Joe's out there who CAN drive a GT2. The fact that you deride them on chat forums only highlights your own lack of confidence behind the wheel.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:37 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow. No love here this morning
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by eclou
Wow. No love here this morning
This is getting ridiculous, and someone has to call a spade a spade - everybody seems to be piling on Stuka, and I have to call them out... they all claim he's the one trying to display "machismo," but I see it the other way around -- people who make fun of Stuka as if "he couldn't possibly be able to control a GT2, because I can't" are the ones displaying machismo... You have to have a pretty fragile ego if the only people with more skill than you "must be" ALMS drivers.

Last edited by pcar964; 08-27-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess you are angling for his x-mas list
Old 08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Pcar I was only calling out stuka period-he comes here in this forum and never has a positive word to say about anything-if you want to go to the 996 GT2 board and rag on our cars fine- in fact thats a better place to do it. But to come into the 997 forum and rag on the sunroof ad naseum on and on is going too far.Especially when he doesnt even use his car to the point where he would even notice.
To come into the 997 forum and rag on the 997 GT2 ad-naseum on and on is going too far. I was not calling out GT2 drivers just this one whom has nothing good to say about our cars. He has continued to say how new GT2 drivers are hamfisted blah blah blah- I was using his own over inflated ego against him. Continued comments about how no one can handle a GT2 but 996 guys was getting old. I have nothing against 996 guys who come in here and take part in the debate but this continued nagging gets old.
I will listen the first time and the second but the 6th 7th and 8th times I get tired of the negativeness
Since you dont hang out here all the time I doubt you are familiar with the history. So you have no clue of what I meant with the ALMS comment-He is claiming only He is man enough to handle a 996 GT2 - You should really do your homework before jumping in this thread or on me. I have no ego what so ever. I just get tired of all the ragging.
So are you trying to get in good with him and on his christmas list? because you make no sense.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

OldGuy, you may just want to put Stuka on your 'ignore' list. Endless ragging on everything 997 have indeed gotten old.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks man
I dont do that much I had forgotten about that. Then I can go to the threads and get some educated input! I am not into negativity thats whats great about our cars is the passion and positiveness. Maybe if Pcar had been hammered by all this he would have known what I was talking about.
thanks again.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 PM
frayed
Race Car

Some folks medicate themselves by putting others down. Same thing goes with cars. It's unfortunate b/c we all come here to converse about our ownership experiences with these cars. While some people have negative experiences (e.g., rear pad wear), most of the time those experiences are tempered by all the other attributes of the car b/c they have actually driven the car.

The most vocal tend to be non-owners. That's where I get frustrated and have learned to ignore the jackassery.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I appreciate you snapping me back to reality. Reality is the 997 GT3 is the best car I have ever owned as much as I have a historical perspective it still just wows me(in fact I am now trying to buy a base car for a 73 RSR clone or 914 GTR) I have tracked all three of the 911s and this one is just so competent its unreal. The GT2 looks to be a fantastic too. The truth is these driver aides are federal mandates anyway so no matter what you buy in the future its going to have stability management. No use whining.
And the truth is the sunroof on this GT3 is a non issue. if your tall the new seats are lower so there is more room in the 7 anyway. And unless youre a Cup driver I dont see how you can even notice the extra wieght up there, so why complain?
Thanks again Jeff.

Quick Reply: New GT2? Why?