New GT2? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
But let's face it, the 996 version is really dangerous...
That's ridiculous. There is nothing dangerous about the 996 GT2. Throw a couple grand at an old 930 and you have a car that's more powerful and much more of a handful than a GT2. A car is not dangerous by itself - it takes an irresponsible driver to bring danger into the equation. And for god's sake, it's not THAT fast. You make it sound like it's an uncontrollable car that only Michael Schumacher could tame... give me a break

I've said it before... we all come with a portable, built-in traction control device - it's called your brain. It controls your right foot.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:48 PM
dealmaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well mine is one of the 30 coming to the UK!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dealmaker
well mine is one of the 30 coming to the UK!
color???
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by pcar964
That's ridiculous. There is nothing dangerous about the 996 GT2. Throw a couple grand at an old 930 and you have a car that's more powerful and much more of a handful than a GT2. A car is not dangerous by itself - it takes an irresponsible driver to bring danger into the equation. And for god's sake, it's not THAT fast. You make it sound like it's an uncontrollable car that only Michael Schumacher could tame... give me a break

I've said it before... we all come with a portable, built-in traction control device - it's called your brain. It controls your right foot.
You're absolutely right about the old 930. And you're also right that the GT2 is not THAT fast. The dangerous part of the GT2 is not its speed or power, it's the suddenness of its torque delivery as the turbos spool up. Combine a corner, an inadequately programmed cerebral TC device and the sudden application of 500 lb-ft, and watch out!

An irresponsible driver will make even a Toyota Corolla dangerous. All it takes to make a GT2 dangerous is an untrained / inexperienced driver. And that includes a lot of people who might buy one.

My feeling is that if a car is specifically designed for use on the track, then it should not have safety nets. But the GT2 is a road car. Porsche should make a GT2 RS with less weight and no PSM. I also think the GT3 should have PSM, and the GT3 RS should be stripped of a few hundred pounds and should not have PSM.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 PM
stuka
Pro

I drove my GT2 sideways I think 6 times today, nothing uncontrollable about it unless you have zero RWD skills.

A 964 Turbo is way way more "dangerous."
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 PM
stuka
Pro

You're absolutely right about the old 930. And you're also right that the GT2 is not THAT fast. The dangerous part of the GT2 is not its speed or power, it's the suddenness of its torque delivery as the turbos spool up. Combine a corner, an inadequately programmed cerebral TC device and the sudden application of 500 lb-ft, and watch out!

An irresponsible driver will make even a Toyota Corolla dangerous. All it takes to make a GT2 dangerous is an untrained / inexperienced driver. And that includes a lot of people who might buy one.
I like it that way. It actually takes more than $$ to keep your GT2 in one piece.

The "sudden" 500lb-ft is what makes this car fun to drive.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:07 AM
lager99
Advanced

If anyone thinks that traction control in a 500+hp car will save a bad driver, they need to check into the psych ward...
Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 AM
dealmaker
Instructor

Originally Posted by allegretto
color???

Trying to choose between Black with Black rims ...OR.....going for paint to sample - Orange with Black Rims!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:31 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by lager99
If anyone thinks that traction control in a 500+hp car will save a bad driver, they need to check into the psych ward...
TC may not save the day, but PSM will (within reason, of course).
Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,262 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by dealmaker
Trying to choose between Black with Black rims ...OR.....going for paint to sample - Orange with Black Rims!

I always have had a soft spot for the all black/ darth vader gt2.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:16 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't want to start a flame war here, but come on you must be kidding - you guys who laud the benefits of traction control really need to look up the definition of "sports car." Street or track, a car that saves you from your lack of skill does not fit the definition. Go play a video game if you want to go fast without consequences. And leave the GT2 for real drivers.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:49 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

atswhatimtalkinbout!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I don't want to start a flame war here, but come on you must be kidding - you guys who laud the benefits of traction control really need to look up the definition of "sports car." Street or track, a car that saves you from your lack of skill does not fit the definition. Go play a video game if you want to go fast without consequences. And leave the GT2 for real drivers.
No matter what you say...it's a STREET CAR.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

All I'm saying is that I see the logic of PSM in a car like a GT2. I'm not claiming that PSM helps its case as a sports car. I understand these things - I drive a 996 RS as a daily driver.

BTW, "going fast without consequences" is pretty much my daily goal on public streets. In video games I simply aim for "going fast".
Old 08-26-2007, 01:51 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All I'm saying is that I see the logic of PSM in a car like a GT2. I'm not claiming that PSM helps its case as a sports car. I understand these things - I drive a 996 RS as a daily driver.

BTW, "going fast without consequences" is pretty much my daily goal on public streets. In video games I simply aim for "going fast".
haha that's awesome

Quick Reply: New GT2? Why?