Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Questions about options for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:44 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Congratulations. If I have that opportunity, I may risk my life and limb (I have a very sensible wife) and grab that myself.

When will you need to decide on colors/options etc, and when will delivery happen?

CP
It's funny. The last 2008 production month is Nov, and Porsche still havent released the 2008 order guide. My car will be produced in Nov, delivered in Dec. I placed the official order with deposit today. Here is what I ordered. It is changeable for the next 2 weeks or so, then locked out for changes.

Here is how I ordered:
- Carrera White
- Xenons
- Sound Package
- Crests in Headrest
- Aluminum Footrest
- Floor mats

Here is what I am thinking about adding, but undecided:
- Full Leather
- Thicker Leather Steering Wheel
- Red Seat Belts
- Headlight Cleaner Painted

Thoughts/help on these last items? Really appreciate everyone's help...Not the $$, altogether would only add about $3500 to the car. However, I am just not sure that full leather with the stitching, etc. 'goes' with this car.

I wanted to learn more about the club sport option, but they couldnt really tell me anything about it or order it in the system. Is that option new to 2008? Other options in 2008 that were not available in 2007?...
Old 08-18-2007, 07:16 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should do full leather! A little Lux isn't bad...
Old 08-18-2007, 07:16 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Unless this is a track-only car, I would get full leather, it really adds an extra touch and quite frankly, this car makes a damn good street car so go for the leather. I'd leave the factory wheel (it's already the thick version just in the alcantera) and then go to leather if you want later (It's < $500 for the wheel from the parts department). I'd also go for the red belts, I have them in my car and it livens up the interior, passengers love it.

Another thing you should order is the fire extinguisher, it's cheap, doesn't come in the way and is probably the lease expensive product you'll ever buy from Porsche I'd ditch the headrest crests and instead put the money into the small carbon package, it makes the interior come alive and I think the shifter feels better with the carbon there.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:22 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lose the sound pkg and add the thicker steering wheel and you're there! (I'd also lose the crests and Al footrest but that's just me.)

Less is more and all that...
Old 08-18-2007, 07:22 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

I did red belts and gauges, Xenons and PCM. I also did the Fire Extinguisher and Hi Fi sound as well as the foot rest and full leather and leather center console. I think the MSRP was 117895.00 or so. Oh and to keep the wife happy I added heated seats. This car needs Full Leather. Another white gt3 came on the boat with this one and we have been on a few runs together, I think he kicks himself for not getting the full leather option.

jv
Old 08-18-2007, 07:46 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

i can see the full leather option making sense, i have been on the fence about that...

however, i dont really see the point of the fire extinguisher other than for looks...

i dont think that the SW that comes with the car is the thicker one with Alcantara...i think that there is a difference and i am considering the no cost option of thicker leather version...

i know that this is a very personal thing, but i just feel that heated seats, carbon fiber decorations, navigation, etc. take a little away from the character of the car as a 'street legal' race car. to me, coming from a 993, it is plenty plush to start with... but maybe, i need to get over it...

however, i will give all this feedback some thought, thanks!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:53 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

john, can you post some pictures of your interior? i have never seen the red gauges but was thinking about doing those and the red belts together...

thanks!!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

I will go take some in the morning.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

- Crests in Headrest: no use. and who knows, you may change the seat later on

- Aluminum Footrest: get rid of it. it's a piece of plastic made to look like alum.

- Thicker Leather Steering Wheel: get it, it's free and the thin one is, well, very thin

leather is really a personal thing. i know many loves dev. stitching. the stitching drives me nuts, even if it's same color as the leather i can see it and i get fixiated on that and can't even back the car out of my garage without hitting things. but that's me.

I wanted to learn more about the club sport option: there is no such option in USA. (cage, seats and all)
Old 08-18-2007, 11:30 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I just had a fully optioned RS (leather and dev stiching, carbon etc) that I flipped and bought a simple SY stripper.

I won't say I like the stripper better, but I will say that I'm suprised how little I miss the options. Normally I get into the details. But this car is such fun to drive, I can see how someone feels "pure" with few or no options. This car is really about the driving experience.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I had full leather in the 996 GT3 THAT car needed leather this one doesnt need it
its a waste on this car. I just came back from a 2hour drive Sorry no way the dash is well done and
textured the 996 was flat and plain. If you need full leather you should be in a TT.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:49 AM
porkernut
Advanced

Old guy is right that the new plastic dash is far better than the 996 & perfectly acceptable.

But I still think an £80k car should have leather when a £20k reps car does! It also adds extra Alcantara touches (door inserts, door & center consul cubby box, door handle facings) that you don't get with the standard package, stitching along the dash top, front center consul & doors, all in all lifts the interior quality, but it is expensive.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 AM
buttons123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

This a first post anywhere for me and I have been reading this and the 6speed forum for about 6 months. Must say its so helpful and informative.

I have just bought a GT3 on Aug 1st, from a guy up London way who was hoping to achieve £5k over list. At that time there were approx x 9+ GT3 and about x 5+ RS's for sale in the UK, obviously all over list and very low mileage, if any. I ended up paying £2k over list but his car was still at the dealership untouched and with just 9 miles on the clock! It has been impossible here in the UK to get a new GT3 UNLESS you ordered it about Jan, Feb 2007. This is my 6th Porsche to date.

Sorry about the longwinded start to this thread but the reason is that the options were already (obviously) done and dusted. They were:

White
Black leather
Sound upgrade
Chrono clock
Mats
PCM (no phone)
VTS (£200 on top for subscription)

List price £84350.50 (+£2k premium)

I also drove to the venture shield dealers and had a clear bra fitted £500
and had the OPC fit the full red rear lights. These lights can be spec'd from the factory and look fantastic against the white.

The car is absolutely stunning in any colour but after 5 black ones it was time for a change.

If I were in your shoes this is what I would choose, having seen a lot of GT3/RS's waiting to go out and at track days;

White - Just sooo classy, I was so surprised "in the flesh"

Wheels - Black, or white (reaallly nice I have seen this on two cars)

PCM - I use my car on a lot of trips to Europe and around the UK

Sound up - A must

Leather wheel - A must

Red belts - A must

Carbon package - A must - if only for the gearstick

Head rest logo - A really nice subtle touch. Always have these

Clocks and dials in red????? like all of these options it is such a personal thing but again I have seen it and, particullarily with white, looks so different I would say YES every time

Deviated stitching in red????? Again same as above. It would all tie in so nicely. Brakes, red tail lights, belts, dials, stiching and again I've seen it

Full Black leather - Believe me it's a great extra and the leather on the seats is of a higher quality than the standard. I would have never ordered that for all the reasons of the other posts, but now after having it I would not be without it!

Clock - Well its a toy but I used it at Goodwood track day the other week. very easy to use and nice to keep times (not supposed to do this at PCGB days )

Sorry so long but I'm probably just as excited about your car as you. Half the fun is choosing, waiting and then counting down the days!! I will be doing this on my next GT3, the dealer has got the £10k deposit already for the mark II.

Hope I haven't bored anyone but I am just big fan of Ferdies 911's

Regards
Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Forgive the intrusion - as it's Button's first post, he may not realise it - you have a Private Message.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by buttons123

I have just bought a GT3 on Aug 1st, from a guy up London way who was hoping to achieve £5k over list.
Congrats on the new addition. You must post pictures!

Quick Reply: Questions about options for GT3