rahul
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the black wheels

Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me the Chrono would be cool when tracking to time a lap here and there. Seem easy enough to do while on a straight.
I like the leather in mine white/blk leather.
Does anyone think the steering wheel is slippery in Alcantara.
I do.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
gt3cup98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda like the wart, but it would be a better clock?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:45 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,296 Likes on 615 Posts

I like the black wheels as well, and the above picture reinforces that for me. but I'm a young punk, so take that for what it's worth as well. I'm getting a second set of aftermarket wheels in black once I get my car delivered stateside.

I went the full leather route because I wanted to do deviated stitching, but if you're not doing that, just go with carbon like OG said.

I think that the "white resale" thing is a two way street- if you sell the car in the next 2 years, it will be good for resale, because a lot of the guys who couldn't get an allocation will probably want that color. if you wait longer, like 5 years or so, it will be bad or no effect on resale, similarly to having an arctic silver 996 TT which I think everyone on the board has seen about 2343208 times.

originally, my color choices were between red and black, cobalt and slate grey metallic. eventually it came down to cobalt vs slate grey. for purposes of collective recognition, I'd probably get a non white car if it really is the last american allocation.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:12 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I do wonder if white with red or some other colored wheels might be the answer (?)
Here's a pic i saved for a rainy day...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ooooh

Old 08-17-2007, 04:32 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

ooooh

Yep...personally, I'd add the side decal, and maybe do the mirrors and top spoiler, too!!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 PM
porkernut
Advanced

Originally Posted by cobrien
Yep...personally, I'd add the side decal, and maybe do the mirrors and top spoiler, too!!
WHY?

Isn't the car for driving & enjoying, not trying to look flashy?

If you think the average person outside the Porsche enthusiast fraternity is impressed by colored wheels, side scripts, cages & bigger spoilers, you are wrong!

As delivery by Porsche & better for it......

Last edited by porkernut; 08-17-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:26 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porkernut
WHY?

Isn't the car for driving & enjoying, not trying to look flashy?

If you think the average person outside the Porsche enthusiast fraternity is impressed by colored wheels, side scripts, cages & bigger spoilers, you are wrong!
Yes, it is for driving, which is why I've got 1000 or 1500 track miles on mine already. I also happen to enjoy the way it looks; why do you think those things must be mutually exclusive? In fact, I'm willing to bet that most people wouldn't buy the car if they didn't like the way it looked.

I personally don't care what anyone else thinks of my car; I bought it and set it up this way for me. If people like it (which many do), that's fine. If people don't like it (which many don't), that's fine, too. And that includes a lot of people inside the "Porsche enthusiast fraternity". Hopefully everyone here is beyond caring about what anyone else thinks, and is just setting the car up the way they want it.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:34 PM
porkernut
Advanced

Originally Posted by cobrien
Yes, it is for driving, which is why I've got 1000 or 1500 track miles on mine already. I also happen to enjoy the way it looks; why do you think those things must be mutually exclusive? In fact, I'm willing to be that most people wouldn't buy the car if they didn't like the way it looked.

I personally don't care what anyone else thinks of my car; I bought it and set it up this way for me. If people like it (which many do), that's fine. If people don't like it (which many don't), that's fine, too. And that includes a lot of people inside the "Porsche enthusiast fraternity". Hopefully everyone here is beyond caring about what anyone else thinks, and is just setting the car up the way they want it.
Good on you if that is what you like enjoy the car, I just find some of the bright flashy colors say "look at me & how much money I have" which makes many resent you & the car. I'd rather enjoy the fabulous driving experience & blend in a little more....if you ever can in a GT3!!!

But respect due to our individual tastes !
Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porkernut
Good on you if that is what you like enjoy the car, I just find some of the bright flashy colors say "look at me & how much money I have" which makes many resent you & the car. I'd rather enjoy the fabulous driving experience & blend in a little more....if you ever can in a GT3!!!

But respect due to our individual tastes !
Strange, I don't think of the car as "flashy" because it's primarily black. Different for sure (red wheels will do that), but to me flashy is more 22" wheels, a lot of chrome, and flames on the side of the car . In reality my yellow Z06 and blue Exige are probably "flashier", though that wasn't my goal in getting any of them.

Unfortunately I think there are a lot of people who buy Porsches (including GT3s) as some kind of "status symbol", which makes it tougher for the rest of us to find an available allocation. It strikes me as an odd status symbol car, though, because at least around here (Chicago area) Porsches are very, very common. Then again, I've never really understood that mentality anyway, so what do I know? I guess if the car makes someone happy, regardless of the reason, that's fine!

Nice silver, by the way!!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:17 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

agree that this is a car to be driven and enjoyed for it's purity, not just for the looks of it...i also agree that fun colors, etc. dont need to be mutually exclusive with that goal...

I have had my arctic silver/black 98 Carrera S for awhile now, and enjoy that traditional german color combo and look. however, I have always thought that if i got an older R Gruppe kind of car or GT3 (i.e. a hot rod Porsche), that i would get fun hot wheels type of color combo...

Side note: believe it or not, the 2 contenders for replacing my 993 have been a 70s RS/RSR type of recreation vs. a 997 GT3. Some might not understand and think that those are 2 totally different options, but to me, they represented true fun factor weekend race-like cars, with the price not being all that different between a GT3 and well-restored/rebuilt R Gruppe car.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:16 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

So Jonathan,

Are you no longer considering the 993tt? If it's between a regular 993tt and a 997 GT3, I'll take the GT3 myself. If I did not have my Ruf BTR, I'd be all over a white 997 GT3.

My dream 997 GT3 will be white with speed-yellow decals. PCCB yellow brakes, and possibly speed yellow spoke wheels with silver lip. Full black leather with yellow deviating stitches (dash and shifter included), and speed yellow belts.

Only item I'm not sure of is the speed yellow spokes on the wheels. Other than that, I'm dead sure of what I want.

BTW, Tony told me you are with Deloitte. I was 5.5 years with Arthur Andersen & Co myself.

CP (not a CPA though)
Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CP
So Jonathan,

Are you no longer considering the 993tt? If it's between a regular 993tt and a 997 GT3, I'll take the GT3 myself. If I did not have my Ruf BTR, I'd be all over a white 997 GT3.

My dream 997 GT3 will be white with speed-yellow decals. PCCB yellow brakes, and possibly speed yellow spoke wheels with silver lip. Full black leather with yellow deviating stitches (dash and shifter included), and speed yellow belts.

Only item I'm not sure of is the speed yellow spokes on the wheels. Other than that, I'm dead sure of what I want.

BTW, Tony told me you are with Deloitte. I was 5.5 years with Arthur Andersen & Co myself.

CP (not a CPA though)
yes, i have completely fallen off the deep end toward the GT3...i have a unique opportunity to purchase one of the last cars coming to U.S. at MSRP, so i feel compelled to take it

as i am sure that many did, i am absolutely agonizing over the options -- in particular, the color scheme... i cant decide whether to stay relatively tame with a white car/regular wheels or do something really different like orange or maybe white with red or blue wheels...

yep, i am a partner at deloitte
Old 08-18-2007, 11:57 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

.i have a unique opportunity to purchase one of the last cars coming to U.S. at MSRP, so i feel compelled to take it
Congratulations. If I have that opportunity, I may risk my life and limb (I have a very sensible wife) and grab that myself.

When will you need to decide on colors/options etc, and when will delivery happen?

CP

Quick Reply: Questions about options for GT3