Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT: anyone ever drive a ferrari 512TR?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007 | 10:52 AM
cladd
Racer

Default OT: anyone ever drive a ferrari 512TR?...

I know that it will not compare to my 997GT3. But how is it to drive? Does it feel like a boat at 4100lbs? Are the brakes "big enough"??
Old 08-09-2007 | 11:04 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

The car is 3650lbs per Wikipedia, not 4100. I have a good amount of street/track time in a '92 512TR, and it's my favorite '80s-'90s Ferrari, hands down. Compared to the original TR, the 512 has enormous brakes, and they're adequate for light track use. Flush in SRF and put on some pagid blacks, you'll be fine. Car has built-in brake ducts as well.

The steering is heavy at low speeds (unassisted) but telepathic once above 20mph or so. Pedals are offset toward the middle of the car, so you'll be sitting canted to the right, a la 348 and 355. Power is good, but not totally throw-you-back-and-yell-for-momma level. Ride/handling is amazing: it's very smooth on most surfaces yet exhibits near-zero body roll. Interior fit-and-finish is better than 348. It requires the same kind of intensive maintenance as other Ferraris and as long as it's been done and you're willing to pay for maintenance bills, it's a terrific car.
Old 08-09-2007 | 07:01 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

If you compare it to your 997 GT3, yes - It will feel like a boat, I'm afraid.
Old 08-10-2007 | 10:15 PM
951 ABCA
Track Day

I can't comment on how it drives, but one lives around the block from me and it sounds absolutely fantastic.
Old 08-10-2007 | 11:48 PM
brutus143
Instructor

Around 1995 I had a 89 Mustang 5.0 with about 300 Hp and my fathers friend had a TR and we raced and were side by side up to about 120 when I shifted into 5th and then he started to pull away because 5th was overgeared. not bad for an $8000 car and I could beat my Fathers 87 Lamborghini Countach 5000s around Limerock easily.
Old 08-11-2007 | 12:01 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I took a VARA instructor out today in the GT3 cruising around and at 8000 RPM he said it was the most
Ferrari like he has ever had. I have toyed with buying one of these older Ferrraris that
were cool in there hey day. Certainly would be nicer than a 89 mustang
Old 08-11-2007 | 04:13 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
The car is 3650lbs per Wikipedia, not 4100. I have a good amount of street/track time in a '92 512TR, and it's my favorite '80s-'90s Ferrari, hands down. Compared to the original TR, the 512 has enormous brakes, and they're adequate for light track use. Flush in SRF and put on some pagid blacks, you'll be fine. Car has built-in brake ducts as well.

The steering is heavy at low speeds (unassisted) but telepathic once above 20mph or so. Pedals are offset toward the middle of the car, so you'll be sitting canted to the right, a la 348 and 355. Power is good, but not totally throw-you-back-and-yell-for-momma level. Ride/handling is amazing: it's very smooth on most surfaces yet exhibits near-zero body roll. Interior fit-and-finish is better than 348. It requires the same kind of intensive maintenance as other Ferraris and as long as it's been done and you're willing to pay for maintenance bills, it's a terrific car.
A lot of track time ? The only TR worth a lick is the M, the rest are dogs, relative slow, slow shifting , suck passive restraint and seating position,mediocre brakes lousy AC and lots of noise with not a lot of go unless it is fairly straight. Ride/handling amazing ? You got to be kidding, major understeer which turns into twitchy oversteer on the limit and did I say that they are fairly slow on the track ? Yeah and don't plan on running it at WOT for 15 minutes either because they get real hot quick and the price of a new V12 engine ranks right there with a used 996GT3......

As I said, the M adressed most of the short comings but still has to deal with the fact that the design is from the 70's build by a company who still thought they were in the 50's by that time. However they don't come cheap, most of them are garage queens with minimal miles on them and that is the one to get.
Old 08-11-2007 | 05:57 AM
scottjua
Intermediate

The earlier TRs... at least the couple that I drove had massive front end lift at speed compared to more modern cars... and yes the brakes verge on scary. I love the look of them, there is some power and torque, but compared to cars these days... I would say the performance leaves some to be desired.

I agree with most of what pole position says above... Then again, my personal experience is limited to extended drives, rather than actual owning experience. (I used to write car reviews)

Quick Reply: OT: anyone ever drive a ferrari 512TR?...