Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thank you Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you Rennlist

A few months ago I stopped posting here because I felt a few "personalities" were a little too goofy to deal with anymore. However since I was waiting for my RS to arrive (deposit put down in June of 06) I decided to lurk just to see how guys were likeing their new rides.

I was most interested in the suspension set-ups guys were talking about.

My Pumpkin arrived at the dealer on Monday. and, she is a PYT for sure. Full leather, orange stitching, Xenons, red taillights, CCB's and lots 'o carbon.

Well I have been suspicious of Porsche's handling of the distribution of this car, and things just did not make sense in terms of production numbers, availablility and the like. On one hand, it made sense for Porsche to make more to feed the demand, so strictly limited production, from a supply side was antithetical to a sound business plan. On the other, it made sense to limit production to develop cache, but for a company the size of Porsche, it is not terribly realisitic. But here they were, holding the line...hmmm, this doesn't add up!

Serendipitiously, Monday night I stumbled on thread about the RS Mk II next year. Now, it is as clear as a perfect diamond to me. Porsche has adopted the Steve Jobs theory of product development and marketing. This GT-3 thing is a page right out of the Macintosh playbook. Instant obsolescence! What a concept.

Not sure what else to say...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Enjoy your RS!!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Would have thought your first clue to Apple marketing was there WAS a 996GT3! :-)
Old 07-19-2007, 04:13 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am confused!~
Old 07-19-2007, 04:30 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 930man
i am confused!~
What I am saying is that the model is one year old ( not even) and already its sucessor is out of the bag. This has to represent some new record for saying "here's our best product, new and improved" and then moving on.

Even the US companies are letting their customers have a little more time in the Sun.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Flash 3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by allegretto
A few months ago I stopped posting here because I felt a few "personalities" were a little too goofy to deal with anymore. However since I was waiting for my RS to arrive (deposit put down in June of 06) I decided to lurk just to see how guys were likeing their new rides.

I was most interested in the suspension set-ups guys were talking about.

My Pumpkin arrived at the dealer on Monday. and, she is a PYT for sure. Full leather, orange stitching, Xenons, red taillights, CCB's and lots 'o carbon.

Well I have been suspicious of Porsche's handling of the distribution of this car, and things just did not make sense in terms of production numbers, availablility and the like. On one hand, it made sense for Porsche to make more to feed the demand, so strictly limited production, from a supply side was antithetical to a sound business plan. On the other, it made sense to limit production to develop cache, but for a company the size of Porsche, it is not terribly realisitic. But here they were, holding the line...hmmm, this doesn't add up!

Serendipitiously, Monday night I stumbled on thread about the RS Mk II next year. Now, it is as clear as a perfect diamond to me. Porsche has adopted the Steve Jobs theory of product development and marketing. This GT-3 thing is a page right out of the Macintosh playbook. Instant obsolescence! What a concept.

Not sure what else to say...
I couldn't agree more, I've been waiting for my gt3 for over a year. By the time I get it, it'll be the end of the model cycle. Let us enjoy our cars.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i dont think the next GT3 will be here for another 18months, by then you should have 100k miles on the old GT3 and thoroughly enjoyed it so you are just in time to get the next one.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

There is absolutely no confirmation as to what the new GT3 will be; the content on rennlist is pure speculation. Furthermore, most modern and classic Porsches can be enjoyed for many, many years so I wouldn't worry about the latest and greatest new products out there.

Even though my 993 TT was 11 years old when I sold, I loved that car and will own one again in the future. I hope my GT3 still stirs my soul after 11 years Get out there and enjoy your cars!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 PM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Exactly.

It is only common sense that any car company would only introduce newer versions which are, in theory, better than the old.

Probably the only exception to this is when the oil crisis hit and many US muscle car manufacturers had to "detune" the cars. We all know what happened then.

All of us expect the successor to any Porsche we own will be better than what we have, so get out there and enjoy it! The "improved" or"new" version which comes out every 3-6 years will of course be better...DUH!

If one is constantly procrastinating under the fear that there will always be something better, one will lose out on many fine purchases, opportunities and experiences; and when the day comes that that person eventually does make a purchase...guess what...a newer and better one will be out soon. Kind of a "no brainer" and not worth extrapolating upon.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:15 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

allegretto I think youre right. I am starting to sense the RS market has cooled-this may be one cause.
Even if the MkII RS is even half true it would make one think twice about dropping 180-190K on a RS sitting on a lot right now. And some have been sitting for a month or so.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A few months ago I stopped posting here because I felt a few "personalities" were a little too goofy to deal with anymore.
apologize for being a goofy personality that may have caused you to stop posting.
herman, i would love to see you post more often, free from my interference, and congrats on the RS!

i don't understand why so many seem to be taking these rumors so seriously?
maybe i missed something?
wouldnt be the first time.
jeff
Old 07-19-2007, 07:36 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff the only reason I took it seriously is because I feel the market cool and I didnt know why.
Could be everyone who wants one and can pay top dollar has one and nothing to do with a rumored
MKII RS.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
apologize for being a goofy personality that may have caused you to stop posting.
herman, i would love to see you post more often, free from my interference, and congrats on the RS!
jeff
The sexual tension just oozes from this post...

Seriously, the MK I is no less capable from inception to end of production. Hell, the 996GT3 has hardly been eclipsed by the 997GT3. The performance envelopes are in the unusable ranges as it is already, so adding another X hp is like hiking up James King's insanely short skirt another 1mm.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

What I am saying is that the model is one year old ( not even) and already its sucessor is out of the bag. This has to represent some new record for saying "here's our best product, new and improved" and then moving on.

Even the US companies are letting their customers have a little more time in the Sun.

Out of the bag??? wtf are you talking about???? dude you really need help....
Old 07-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Jeff the only reason I took it seriously is because I feel the market cool and I didnt know why.
Could be everyone who wants one and can pay top dollar has one and nothing to do with a rumored
MKII RS.
Paul,

Your right -- the regular GT3 is selling below invoice now (I heard Porsche began offering dealers "trunk money" on that model to help with depressed sales.)

Quick Reply: Thank you Rennlist