Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thank you Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Allegretto, you have a year or so to see if you like the GT3 RS better than the Lotus!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack
Paul,

Your right -- the regular GT3 is selling below invoice now (I heard Porsche began offering dealers "trunk money" on that model to help with depressed sales.)
you got the leads?
i dont mind having another if they are below invoice.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Paul,

Your right -- the regular GT3 is selling below invoice now (I heard Porsche began offering dealers "trunk money" on that model to help with depressed sales.)
Jack
You may think I am stupid as evidenced by your *this guy is stupid smilie* but Tuesday a dealer called me and offered me what I paid for my GT3 in full so that I would by a RS for $18K over MSRP. In fact he dropped the price by 12 thousand dollars in 4 minutes of conversation when he detected I was not much interested. THis car was listed for $75K over and has been sitting for a month. Now maybe someone with your wealth doesnt consider a $52K drop in price cooling but where I come from it sure does. This car has less than 100 miles and is at one of the largest dealers in the state- not bakersfield. I also think a dealer-a manager no less- making cold calls depicts a bit of cooling of a ultra hot market. Now since you dont trust my opinion you probably dont think I am telling the truth here, however you can ask Mooty. I called him immediately after the call to ask what he thought of the deal. He knows the dealer and infact where the dealer got the car in the first place.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:28 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RR
Out of the bag??? wtf are you talking about???? dude you really need help....
Well here you go proving my point.

Hey, my purpose in life is not to convince you of any particular fact. You are free to worship any Icon (sorry Jeff) you please.

What exactly is it about my observation that makes You feel compelled to attack me personally? I need help? Certainly not Yours. You are always free to disagree. I've been disagreed with plenty in life, nearly every day. And, I've made mistakes in life, again nearly every day.

But why is Your point so weak that instead of expression You resort to the lame ad hominem? How about some demonstration of intellect instead of some line from Fast Times at Ridgemont High (BTW, Penn's best flick ever and a very funny movie).
Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NeverFastEnough

All of us expect the successor to any Porsche we own will be better than what we have, so get out there and enjoy it! The "improved" or"new" version which comes out every 3-6 years will of course be better...DUH!

If one is constantly procrastinating under the fear that there will always be something better, one will lose out on many fine purchases, opportunities and experiences; and when the day comes that that person eventually does make a purchase...guess what...a newer and better one will be out soon. Kind of a "no brainer" and not worth extrapolating upon.
First, save the DUH. This is what, a year since the first ones hit the shores...less?

Then the "computer" justification. Believe me, I professionally chase technological horizions for a living, it's my niche.

But I know a "con" when I see it too.

A Spade (as in Nine of Spades) is still a Spade.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ROFL

Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 AM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
First, save the DUH. This is what, a year since the first ones hit the shores...less?

Then the "computer" justification. Believe me, I professionally chase technological horizions for a living, it's my niche.

But I know a "con" when I see it too.

A Spade (as in Nine of Spades) is still a Spade.
Yeah I know when I wrote that I thought the "duh" may be a little bit unnecessary.

BUT I was still trying to make a point of regardless how we feel about the timing of "improvements" relative to "new" vehicle introductions, just get out there and enjoy the car...don't get hung up on it.

You said yourself that you follow technological improvements. I do not know in what but do you think that whatever companies, etc. you follow are going to hold back on advancements for fear of pissing you off...I do not think so. It is something you enjoy, otherwise why would you be doing it.

If you feel that many purchasers got "conned" by Porsche then I guess that is one take on it, depending how you look at it. People's opinions on this topic have been expressed many times on this and other forums, including mine FWIW and I did feel like you that dealers making 50-75K over was...well, I am not going to go there again.

Just because it has been leaked that a GT3 "Mk2" will be coming (maybe and probably) does not mean that we will see it anytime soon, nor does it mean it will be a "significant" improvement over the 997GT3(RS), nor does it mean there will be an RS version. Look how many people think the 996 GT3 is still better than the 997 version. Look how many people are still driving 993's, as they feel the 997's and especially the 996's are too soft, etc. So much of this is completely subjective.

Change is inevitable.

Last edited by NeverFastEnough; 07-20-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Jack
You may think I am stupid as evidenced by your *this guy is stupid smilie* but Tuesday a dealer called me and offered me what I paid for my GT3 in full so that I would by a RS for $18K over MSRP. In fact he dropped the price by 12 thousand dollars in 4 minutes of conversation when he detected I was not much interested. THis car was listed for $75K over and has been sitting for a month. Now maybe someone with your wealth doesnt consider a $52K drop in price cooling but where I come from it sure does. This car has less than 100 miles and is at one of the largest dealers in the state- not bakersfield. I also think a dealer-a manager no less- making cold calls depicts a bit of cooling of a ultra hot market. Now since you dont trust my opinion you probably dont think I am telling the truth here, however you can ask Mooty. I called him immediately after the call to ask what he thought of the deal. He knows the dealer and infact where the dealer got the car in the first place.
Interesting point. My Sales Manager is freaking out b/c right now no one can get any inventory. The upcoming production stasis is around the corner, hot 997 cars are very limited in quantities, and many dealerships have nothing good to sell. They are offering really good money for my GT3 which is just getting to port.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:33 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does this relate to Apple? The way I see it, every new model IS an improvement over the previous version. And from my point of view, these improvements are significant. Besides, do you know any real user of computers who says that an 11 year old model is "better" than the current one?

And last but not least, I can't help myself here, there is NO such word "irregardless"..... could not resist.

Oh and Jeff, can you fix that icon of yours.....????
Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by allegretto
What I am saying is that the model is one year old ( not even) and already its sucessor is out of the bag. This has to represent some new record for saying "here's our best product, new and improved" and then moving on.

Even the US companies are letting their customers have a little more time in the Sun.
So let me get this straight. You are upset that you heard a rumour from a guy that heard a rumour from an internet forum that the next GT3 will outperform this one.

Honestly it sounds like you are leading a "cyber-life". Think about it, you are getting down on yourself and your purchase b/c of what someone had said in cyber space.

How is the successor out of the bag? Just b/c someone says it in cyber space????
Ok so I heard the next Ferrari 430 Scuderia replacement will be a 520 Scuderia. It's going to have electro magnetic suspension and 620hp.
So people who purchase the 430 Scud, should basically jump off a building, according to your paradigm.
Besides the MK1 GT3 was released in 1999, the MKII in 2003, and now the 997 was released in 2007, and the next GT3 won't be out until 2010 - it always been 3- 4 years between new GT3's anyways so where is the problem?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eclou have him start calling Cali. Also Ray has one there at RPM that has sat for over 2 months in houston-And remember I said 'cooling' I didnt say it was stopped.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:16 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

OK, so does anyone know where a new/slightly used 997 GT3 (non-RS) is available at or near sticker ?

would love a silver or white lightly optioned car.

WSH
Old 07-20-2007, 11:22 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Eclou have him start calling Cali. Also Ray has one there at RPM that has sat for over 2 months in houston-And remember I said 'cooling' I didnt say it was stopped.
Ray doesn't need the money like the salesguys at the stealership. He is from alot of money, and can sit on stuff for a long time
Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I'm no Luddite. And when you live in the technologic fast lane you just have to set up the machinery in such a fashion that you build in the income stream to be able to make the key acquisitions as necessary. No question. The train moves quickly and waits for no one.

But the play still smacks of Apple. Those of you who are Mac'ers know exactly what I mean. And I agree with those that point out that older Porsches are not necessarily any less desireable...if it's the right model.

It is quite possible that this is parallel to the 993 Turbo S situation where the prices have remained quite firm despite 10 yrs passage. The difference there was you knew you were buying the last of the breed and Porsche even celebrated it. I would venture to say that most 997 GT-3 owners did not expect a "new and improved" model to be planned so soon, though they perhaps should have expected it. I'm not sure, in the face of all the evidence that one should expect to wait until 2010 (hard to believe that it's a few years away, huh?) for the next model.

Finally, I have a wife and four children under four years old. My life is very concrete! Cyber-life...not too much time for that.

Cheers, guys

Last edited by allegretto; 07-20-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:47 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I know Ray and his reputation but his silver one for 179 was "reasonable" when there were cars for 190 and up. Your salesmanager in Houston may have a customer who would pay over. The manager could make him happy by getting him a car. Your manager may not make much but would get some brownie points for later sales without costing him self much time or money. It was just a thought.
If your guy finds one out here then theres shipping- time in transit- yada yada. I was just trying to help

Quick Reply: Thank you Rennlist