Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 or 997 TT - New Member

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 or 997 TT - New Member

Well I am glad I found this place. Since I have registed for over 2 weeks at 6speedonline and still no one has given me authorization to post Email to mod is not working...Oh well.

I have a question for some of you who are fortunate to have driven or own both the 997 TT and the 997 GT3.

I placed an order for an 08 GT3(Carrera White). I find it insulting to have to pay 10K over MSRP for an new 07 or slightly used 07. I am second on the list and gave my deposit.

I had an 01 996TT(in 01) and it was not a pleasant ownership experience. Sold it within 5K miles if that tells you anything. Needless to say it kept me away from the 996 for a while.

My question is that I have a chance to still modify a 997 TT ( Carrera White ) and have it shipped by end of July. My 08 GT3 will be around October.

I do not plan to drive it daily and will swap out to PS2's when the OEM tires wear out. I might track 1-2 times a year ( if that ).

I know that the Turbo is a daily driver capable car but with PS2's and maybe 6-8K miles a year would the GT3 be okay?

It's not that I am a great track driver ( I have seat time ) but I just like normally aspirated cars and to feel the road.

I am not in hurry and I can find some 997 TT's ( not in white ) but they are available. I am not giving up my deposit on the GT3.

Just want some really experienced advise for those that perhaps daily drive or at least 2-3 times a week.

I could end up tracking more as my confidence builds up and I was planning on building an E30 M3 track car.

Any advise is much appreciated.

All my cars have always been lowered with coilovers so i am use to a much stiffer ride but not kidney busting.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The two cars are very different. I have been in a TT and own a GT3. DO what your gut tells you to do. It does not sound like the ride of the GT3 will bother you at all FWIW.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Thanks. Gut has always told me GT3. Although I like the look of the wide rear the TT doesn't appeal to me as much. The cars are not that much different in performace in the real world. I read the 0-99 is 8.7 in the GT3 and the TT(6 MT ) is like 8.4 of course the Tip-S is like 7.6. But oh well.

Do you regret not buying the TT? If price wasn't a factor...
Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I have 5000 miles on an 07TT, and am picking up a 997GT3 in Stuttgart next month. In all truthfullness the question for me is more of practicality and intended use. I already have a dedicated track car - 2700lbs, 310rwhp, cage. My intended usage is office commuter 2-3x per week, boulevard cruiser/GT to dinner 1-2x per week, joy/track ride 1x per month (at best). I have 2 kids, and would like to take them in the car as well. For me, the TT makes much more sense. The TT also has alot of headroom for increased performance. Lower it with springs alone, Techart/PSS9 PASM adjustable coilovers, full Motons +/- adjustable sways. 600+hp power packages (and growing) for 599/CGT performance are already available.

That being said, there are handling characteristics of a car that cannot be quantified in sheer numerals. The E36M3 was a car that had such special sauce that it rewarded drivers beyonds it's slalom speeds, ET's, skidpad G's. I'm picking up the GT3 to see if its special sauce can make the practicality and supercar nature of the TT immaterial.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both cars. I think if I only could have one, the TT would probably cover the most bases. If you find the ride too soft, there are suspension options (as eclou pointed out).

I am happy to say that the 997TT is much more fun to drive than my 996TTs were. I would say a well setup TT could be a good track car.

The GT3 is more of an experience though. If you only plan to drive it once in a while for a little something different, that would be the car to have. It sounds like you don't plan to do a lot of tracking. If you are new to the track, the GT3 is way more car than you will be able to exploit (as is the TT for that matter). You can still enjoy it though, so don't let me put you off tracking either car.

Cheers.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:42 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only the 997 GT3, presently w/ 2500 miles including 360 track miles (WG and Waterford Hills).

The 997 GT3 is a fundamentally understeering car that's VERY easy to get to know on a racetrack, and extremely fast. On the street, it is a bit of work to drive: High-effort clutch and shifter, although the engine is very tractable and can pull happily from 2,000 rpm in 6th. The "standard" setting on the PASM shocks is still on the harsh side, although not for a car as capable on track as the GT3.

Having owned a TT, you'll probably miss the monumental low-speed torque if you buy a GT3. My brief exposure to TTs (probably <40 miles total) suggest it's a much easier car to drive in the street. You pays your money and makes your choice. For me, my 330 miles at Watkins Glen this month easily convinced me I'd done the right thing. I was able to chase down and pass Vipers, Z06 Vettes, all manner of BMWs and Porsches, Lotus Exige, etc, etc. I've been doing DE for > 20 years and this maiden voyage with my GT3 was probably the most fun I've had!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Thank you for the replies so far. I have owned a 01 TT 996 in the past and although it provided some good times when it wasn't in the shop, I always wondered what it would be like on the track. It never made it past 5K miles before my patience wore out at the shop. I would like to find someone in the ATL, GA area with a 997 TT ot GT3 to get a test ride. The 997 is leaps and bounds better than the 996(IMHO) and just in that regards I know I will not have made a bad choice on either one.

Unfortunately the two dealers here will not offer test rides due to the demand and availabiity. I can understand that thought process and will respect it. So far I haven't recieved a response of "If you have to drive it before you buy it, then you don't know what a porsche is about".

This is a large step up for me in regards to "one" car in that price range and i want to make sure I am making the right move.

I would drive the car perhaps 2-3 times a week (don't want it to be a major garage queen ) and do some spirited driving on the weekends.

How close is the clutch feel and shifter compared to the 997 C2S?. I heard the 997TT has an assisted clutch for easier shifting. The "standard" ride with PASM off is much harsher or similiar to the 997 C2S?

That is the one reference I have to go on - sorry about that. The clutch feel on the 997 C2S I drove felt very easy to engage and "springy".

Thank you everyone so far with your opinions. It's nice to be on a mature board coming from some of the M3 boards.

Khanh
Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 997TT clutch is comfortable like silk. Although my wife is accustomed to driving manual, she is small (5'3"/100lb) and high effort clutches frustrate her. She drives the 997TT clutch in Houston traffic and on the track with nary a complaint.

The standard ride of the TT is about the same as an E55 in double sport mode. It is still tighter than my old 00 996 cab. I have never driven a 997C2S
Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 AM
tocho1
Instructor

I have a 997 C4S and drove a friend's new TT last week. Clutch (and everything else) feels exactly the same except the TT is way way way way faster!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

Have a GT3 RS and a 997TT. Very different. 997TT is an every day driver and a monster on a wet race track. Sport setting on the 997TT is still softer then reg setting on the GT. Getting into the 997TT after a few days of driving the RS is an eye opening experience. Makes the TT feel like a fat old road boat. I need a day or two of Ford F350 Superduty therapy in between to help me adjust.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Have a GT3 RS and a 997TT. Very different. 997TT is an every day driver and a monster on a wet race track. Sport setting on the 997TT is still softer then reg setting on the GT. Getting into the 997TT after a few days of driving the RS is an eye opening experience. Makes the TT feel like a fat old road boat. I need a day or two of Ford F350 Superduty therapy in between to help me adjust.
That's too funny. I am sure the SuperDuty feels like driving/walking on air comparatively speaking.

Does the GT3-RS and GT3 share the same suspension? As far as settings? I drove the 997-S with sport and it well lets put it this way "sucks" for taking the small bumps around corners.

I like to feel engaged in my driving experience when i do drive. Argh! the choices....

Would anyone who lives in Georgia be willing to take me for a spin in either one. The 997TT can be made possible for end of July delivery and perhaps to change color by today. But I don't like pressure So I told them to keep my placement for the 08 GT3 for now.

Normally I wouldn't worry so much but since I want only "White" it's a much harder color to find on the open market.

So if anyone is reading this and has a 997 GT3 or 997TT and would not mind a free tank of gas or lunch to take me for a spin - I would be so greatly appreciative.

If only Bill Gates would adopt me as his step-son I would just take one of each and call it a day.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Ray G
Pro

The clutch in the 997TT feels like a 996TT clutch. It is lighter than the non-turbo cars, and a lot lighter than the GT3 clutch. Also, the engagement point is higher. Switching between the GT3 and TT takes a few minutes of adjustment. The clutch pedal pressure on the GT3 is similar to the 996 GT3, and firmer than the C2S or C4S.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by khaug
The 997 GT3 is a fundamentally understeering car that's VERY easy to get to know on a racetrack, and extremely fast.
I agree with that. I've had a couple of track days in both my GT3 and TT. The new GT3 is pretty easy to drive hard. It has more grip than the 996 version, and the mid-corner control is better.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Guys don't talk about the track - makes me sway my way back to the darkside GT3 ....

In all seriousness thank you all for the great responses and honest opinions. I think I am leaning towards the 997TT since it will be used more on the road than on the track. I will option one with an LSD just in case Track is a thing that comes up.

I am about 70/30 TT over GT3 - I need to push myself over to 90/10 or 95/5 before I cancel my order for the GT3.

To be honest a regular 997-S is more capable than i would be in it. I think I would be more capable(due to dollar value) in an E36 or E30 track car for now. Would let me drive it without worrying about spin out.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can get a nice E36 built to ITS, World Challenge, or whatever specs you want as a turn-key track car by guys like James Clay at Bimmerworld for about $20k

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 or 997 TT - New Member