Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Buy on Thursday, Track on Friday..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:41 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy on Thursday, Track on Friday..

I am at a loss for words. Never has a car that I have driven felt so perfect, so capable on the road and on the track. The handling is magic, the sound is addictive, the power is abundent, the feel is exquisite, and the smile on my face all day long was Priceless!

Took delivery on Thursday afternoon and drove it for as much as I could, trying to scrub in the tires a bit before Friday got along. Woke up early after a sleepless night full of anticipation and was on the track at 8:30am. Open session at 9:30, bam I'm already out of the pits. Out of respect for the new car, I limited myself to 5000rpm's, a limit I came by on my own BTW.

Warm-up lap was done and both me and the RS were ready to sample some action so I began my laps. The RS felt so stable, so predictable, so forthcoming with feel for what the road was telepgraphing through that sweet Alcantara steering wheel. My pace was 7/10's bearing in mind the self-imposed rpm limit but it felt heavenly!

The gear change was nothing like any Porsche that I have driven. Very precise with a clutch that felt like perfection itself. I came in with around 60 kilometers on the odometer, when I left it was indicating 328 kilometers driven. I went on seven lap stints at a time and it never felt wanting a rest. The Brakes, Steels on mine, never even came close to fading. The tires gripped with a tenacity that I have never felt before. The tarmac was pretty hot but the grip level never deteriorated that much. I broke my self-imposed RPM limit a couple of times and revved it to 6000rpm's but man was it hard to hold it there. The engine felt like it's barely stretching it's legs, it wanted to be taken to the redline everytime but I resisted the temptation.

I don't have any On-Track pictures at the moment but I took these pictures everytime I came in for a cigarette and a drink of water.

Look at the state of the tires. Doesn't look like they'll make it for two more Track days.

Interior shot showing BumperPlugs Key Bezel painted in Orange. The other Bumperplugs product is the seat belt trim and I need to take a picture of those. Thanks Mr. Bumperplug man for the great service. The center Console was done locally at the dealer's.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

khalid,

i bow to you, on track so soon.
glad you enjoyed the moster.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

You go boy!!! Thanks for sharing-My brother's RS should be here next week-And your impatience is downright impressive!! Enjoy in good health!!

Godspeed!!!

07' RS-black and orange-at port on the way
07' RS-orange(pumpkin) and black-waiting on completion date
997 tt-speed yeller
Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this colour combo.

Can you repaint the calipers to be orange? Or would that not appeal to you?
Old 03-31-2007, 11:49 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Khalid, I'm so happy for you and it makes me jealous. I'll be taking mine to the track next weekend for the first time...I think I can relate to your feelings about this car.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:11 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

I was so tired that I forgot to include my "Oh $hit" moment.

In one of my stints I took an instructor with me and after five laps, I casually asked him to critique my driving so he was saying, "yeah, you're pretty smooth and the lines are good" type of talk, my concentration lapsed for a couple of seconds on a third gear corner. I was surprised to see a car very close to my bumper so I attempted to give him some space by turning a bit tighter, because I wasn't concentrating, I gassed it by the same amount that I usually use for the corner exit, so all of a sudden the back broke loose so fast it made my eyes pop-out. I counter-steered and tried to hold it, and managed to do that after nearly loosing it a couple of times. Afterwards it was very quiet in the car. The guy behind my passed me with a thumps-up. He enjoyed the drift show. Later he said that he was waiting to see my headlights but in three years of tracking, I never had anything go this wild before. PSM in the turbos I'm used to would have saved my behind but this one's a bit different requiring your full attention. I could have won the local Drift Challenege easily.

Lesson learned I guess, never loose your concentration.

mooty, I had a blast!!

Jeff, thanks. I was on the fence about installing them but it looks great in person. Just the right amount of Orange.

Eric, my patience run out six months ago so I couldn't wait.

crispenig, thank you. Everyone who saw the car thought I should paint the calipers one combo or another. Right now I'm pretty happy with the way they look but you never know.

BobbyC, Can't wait for your track report!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

way to go, Khalid ...treat her like the track ***** she is
Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

lief, problem is she's unsatiable and always wants more.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

i finally found someone who as crazy as i am!!!!! i love it dude keep up the good work
Old 04-02-2007, 02:32 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 930man
i finally found someone who as crazy as i am!!!!! i love it dude keep up the good work
Everyone thinks that I'm nuts for taking it out on the track. No garage queens here and $crew resale value. I'm keeping this one.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

dude i am completly with you! i drove mine in the pouring rain on the track what its made for
Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Was traction control on for the lurid drift show?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

I am just curious how you keep your RPMs to a max 5k while heel and toe down shifting??? You guess that is when you exceeded your self imposed 5k max!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Mr. 930man, respect for driving it on the track in the rain.

frayed, yes it was on. I think it was laughing when I was trying to hold the RS from spinning.

Apex GT, that's why I've hot 6000 a few times. It's much harder driving her like that and would love to get running-in over and done with come next Track day.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

LOL!

Wow, didn't realize that TC would let you spin from power on oversteer. It'll be fun getting to know my new car. . . I may experiment with some autox just to see what it does w/ and w/o TC on.

Quick Reply: Buy on Thursday, Track on Friday..