RUF 997 RGT

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:55 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up RUF 997 RGT

Hey guys,

I have seen a RUF 997 RGT and OMG that's a hell of a car.

That's the best looking Porsche I have even seen!

It was a RUF version GT3RS and the price is very expensive.

I guess the price is close to the new GT2 maybe?

Anyone here have driven a RUF and I want to know your comments.

I know RGT and GT2 are two different car.

If you gonna pick one, which one would you pick?

For me, I perfer the look of the RGT and the power of the turbo!

However, the engine in the RGT is the best N/A!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

"Tuner Ruf says it went back to the 1973 Carrera RS for inspiration for the RGT. It hiked the compression ratio on the normally aspirated 3.8-liter flat-6 engine to 12.0:1, boosting output to 445 horsepower. The RGT rockets from zero to 60 mph in less than 4.2 seconds and from rest to 124 mph in less than 13.5 seconds. Top speed is 196 mph."
Attached Images    
Old 03-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

People who like Turbos should go for the RT12, the Normally Aspirated crowd will like the RGT.

The RT12 can have up to 650bhp, it is very fast indeed, and a hoot to drive.

Ruf builds astonishing cars. Although they seem expensive when you buy them, they hold their value extremely well and do not depreciate as much as normal Porsches.

For out and out driving fun, Ruf has a version of the Cayman with 'more' than 450 bhp, based on a special design supercharger, it feels more like a normally aspirated car and has great handling.

R+C
Old 03-25-2007, 07:22 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by blueillusion97
"Tuner Ruf says it went back to the 1973 Carrera RS for inspiration for the RGT. It hiked the compression ratio on the normally aspirated 3.8-liter flat-6 engine to 12.0:1, boosting output to 445 horsepower. The RGT rockets from zero to 60 mph in less than 4.2 seconds and from rest to 124 mph in less than 13.5 seconds. Top speed is 196 mph."
This car has 445bhp and the RS has 415bhp, why the 0-60mph time is the same?

12.0:1 ratio is same as the 997 GT3RS?

I have heard about the R12, but I think the RGT was the entry model of the RUF 911?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT3MK1
This car has 445bhp and the RS has 415bhp, why the 0-60mph time is the same?

12.0:1 ratio is same as the 997 GT3RS?

I have heard about the R12, but I think the RGT was the entry model of the RUF 911?

Ruf always understates their performance figures. But its not all about figures, its about driving.

Both the Ruf and the GT3RS have 12:1 compression ratios, the Ruf has a 3.8 litre engine against the GT3RS's 3.6 litres.

There is an even more track oriented version of the RGT coming in the future.

R+C
Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Ruf always understates their performance figures. But its not all about figures, its about driving.

Both the Ruf and the GT3RS have 12:1 compression ratios, the Ruf has a 3.8 litre engine against the GT3RS's 3.6 litres.

R+C
I like you said "its not all about figures, its about driving" totally agreed when it come to a RUF, but still don't understand why they have to understates their figures?

Do you have more info about the track version RGT?
Like weight, bhp, when etc?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:58 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like you said "its not all about figures, its about driving" totally agreed when it come to a RUF, but still don't understand why they have to understates their figures?

Do you have more info about the track version RGT?
Like weight, bhp, when etc?
did you know you could have two 997gt3's and change for the price of an rgt?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:03 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by icon
did you know you could have two 997gt3's and change for the price of an rgt?
I know.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Ruf always understates their performance figures.
R+C

Respectfully, one of the few times that I disagree with you

I have not seen any evidence, ever about this. What I have seen is other tuners overstating their numbers making RUF look like they understate.

What's more, their old creations of the days of Pierre Ofzky seemed to have "bigger" horses than today, those were the CTR days when RUF still did the ECU tuning themselves. RUF's outstanding performance numbers are more often than not related to their very smart overall combo of weight, gearing and aerodynamics, rather than understated HP numbers.

With that being said, as far as the beauty of their cars goes, and the overall performance "package", hands down the best.

Would be interetsing to see what sort of times the RGT puts at the 'Ring.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Jean

Lets just say its easier to hit the published numbers when you are driving a Ruf than it is in some other cars. Most revealing are the top speed calculations, when you look at the achieved top speeds and weight and frontal areas of the cars, its fairly obvious that the engines are more powerful than the published figures indicate.

When I drove the Cayman with a 3.8 litre engine and supercharger, it definately put out 'a lot' more bhp than they were admitting to. Now it was their development prototype so they were understandably cautious about the exact configuration of production engines. However to be noticably faster than I expected, we werent't talking about 10 or 15 bhp.

Some people seem to think the cars are too expensive, but they do hold their value, I see there is an old CTR2 for sale at the moment, for €199,500 - thats $265,000.

R+C
Old 03-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

R+C

I agree with that angle, they are serious about their claims and I know in fact someone who had (until yesterday) his engine dismantled and rebuilt because they did not meet the published numbers once HP and him put his datalogger on the car. They stand behind their product.

As far as value is concerned, that seems to be true as well. Overall a great tuner for street cars.

I do disagree with the performance numbers though. Their fastest cars who beat (serious)competition always had an aerodynamic or weight or gearing advantage, even the Yellowbird with its narrowbody was beaten by an aerodynamic nightmare 930 from another German tuner at the time.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
GT3MK1
Instructor

R+C
I am not so sure about this part.

Since you can customize your own RGT, either more track oriented or more street oriented etc.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I am not so sure about this part.

Since you can customize your own RGT, either more track oriented or more street oriented etc.
If you look at what they did for the previous RGT, you will see that they produced a limited run of more track oriented cars, the RGTRS, I think it was called, or something similar.

I specifically asked if they were going to do the same for the current RGT and I was told that they were planning to do so. I suspect they could sell the entire batch witout ever advertising its existence.

R+C
Old 03-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Jean

I have a friend who has an awesome 911, it may be theoretically the fastest one around. However, its engine gets replaced at the end of each summer. In my experience, Ruf engines are much more reliable. I tend to put quite high milages on cars when I use them, I do like them to be reliable. Breaking down in Spain or Portugal or Greece is no fun when you have to ship the car back to Germany to fix it.

R+C
Old 03-25-2007, 12:52 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

If you look at what they did for the previous RGT, you will see that they produced a limited run of more track oriented cars, the RGTRS, I think it was called, or something similar.

I specifically asked if they were going to do the same for the current RGT and I was told that they were planning to do so. I suspect they could sell the entire batch witout ever advertising its existence.

R+C
I see.

Usually, the RGT RS how much more than the RGT?

The base RGT already cost 179800 EUR without tax.

Quick Reply: RUF 997 RGT