RUF 997 RGT

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

R+C

I agree on all counts Just not about their understated HP..that was my only point.

Cheers
Jean
Old 03-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3MK1
I see.

Usually, the RGT RS how much more than the RGT?

The base RGT already cost 179800 EUR without tax.
...errr when you pay for one of these, the usual technique is to sign the bank draft and pass it over to them to fill in, saying ' I don't think I want to know how much this is costing me'.

R+C
Old 03-25-2007, 03:09 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

I specifically asked if they were going to do the same for the current RGT and I was told that they were planning to do so.

R+C
Are you planning to get one of those?

At first I want to get the new GT2 and after I have seen the green RGT...wow

But this is even more expensive than the 997 GT2. Which will have 80 more hp and turbo.

Which one do you perfer?
Old 03-25-2007, 03:59 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Red face

...errr when you pay for one of these, the usual technique is to sign the bank draft and pass it over to them to fill in, saying ' I don't think I want to know how much this is costing me'.

R+C
Expensive but I think there will be a even more expensive RS too, but...

If I am going to buy one, the RGT is the best for me.

I want to drive it all the time, so mainly for street use and adding BOSE system and Hydraulically adj front axle etc.

I don't think the RGT RS is for everyday use and I will feel bad by adding those things with extra weight.

By the way, do you know the Hydraulically adj front axle reliable or not?

Last edited by GT3MK1; 03-25-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 PM
JFT
Instructor

R+C

I would be very interested to get you impression of the RUF Cayman 3800 K. The Swedish RUF dealer just passed me the electronic brochure and I must say I am interested. Weight is around 1,340 kg with CF seats and alu doors and power, as you say, is somewhere around 450 hp. This should give it performance beyond my 997 RS, so I am geniunly interested, especially as the price is about the same. Obviously the engoine doesn't have the dry sump system of the GT1 block and it runs on 265s, so may not be a track machine to the same extent as the RS... but still tempting. So, what were your impressions after driving it?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:05 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by JFT
R+C

especially as the price is about the same.

Do you mean the RUF RK Coupé ?

Just wondering the price on the web is the selling price or not?

In the web page this car cost 190000 EUR.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:42 PM
JFT
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3MK1
Do you mean the RUF RK Coupé ?

Just wondering the price on the web is the selling price or not?

In the web page this car cost 190000 EUR.
No, I am talking about the RUF 3800 K. That one doesn't have the Studio Torino body work.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

This is copied from a review I wrote

This is a brief revue of a very interesting new car from one of the world’s great car makers, Ruf Automobile - http://www.ruf-automobile.de/. For those who don’t know about Ruf, all I need say is Alois Ruf builds Porsches the Porsche would like to build them.

My friend Jon M was in town, so a visit to Alois and Estonia Ruf seemed a great way to spend the day, you can only take so much Oktoberfest.

As luck would have it, it was one of the nastiest days of the year, weatherwise and I had mentally written off doing any testing. I was a little concerned as Jon was heading up to the ‘Ring afterwards for an appointment on track with his ‘disposable ring toy’ which is kept up there.

In any event, we were made welcome by Alois on our arrival and after explaining that Jon had quite an ‘interesting’ 930 we were handed over to Marc Bongers (http://www.amazon.ca/Porsche-Data-Bo...e=UTF8&s=books) who looks after PR and visitors. We were shown round, much to Jon’s enjoyment as he had not visited before and has an eye open for his next car. There was the usual assortment of interesting cars in various stages of assembly and disassembly. A couple of items caught my eye, including a genuine 2.7 RSR engine which was probably worth its weight in gold and being put into a Concours car that had been damaged and is now destined for Classic racing and rallying, what a brilliant idea for a former garage queen and a supercharger.

This isn’t your normal Roots type Supercharger. It’s more like the cold side of a turbocharger. In this case it is beautifully done with integrated intercoolers and driven by a polyrip belt off the crankshaft. A centrifugal clutch disengages it below 1,500 rpm. It all wraps most neatly round the engine. Allegedly, it is extremely efficient and keeps on building power right up to the cut-out. My ears really pricked up when we were told that it has been fitted to the Cayman. I tucked that little item away in the memory bank and continued admiring yet another lovely flip flop paint job and some glorious restoration work.

Still raining we went down the road to join Alois and Estonia with their Latin American friends for lunch. As per usual I banged on about cars for far too long in front of people who really know what they are (not) talking about, they were far too polite to tell me to stow it and, I think in an attempt to get me to put a sock in it, I was asked if I would like to drive the Cayman with the Supercharger. A blur later and I was back at the garage waiting for ‘my’ Cayman.

I was warned that it didn’t have the aerokit fitted, so the downforces would be a bit light but was otherwise complete. The front aerokit will include a bigger splitter and a 997 GT3 appearance whilst at the rear, the spoiler will be larger and the appearance generally tidied up. The suspension had been lowered as well and the car had an aggressive appearance.

At this stage I have to admit that I haven’t driven a factory specification Cayman, so I can’t compare it directly. In fact, of the recent ex-factory cars the only ones I have driven are the 996 and 997 GT3 Cup, the 996 GT3 RS, and the 996 and 997 Turbos. So that’s my frame of reference.

The car started quite normally with no drama but a slight and rather pleasant edge to the exhaust thanks to a nice piece of fabrication to build a rather more free breathing exhaust system with metal catalysators. The engine pulled away cleanly as we headed down a fairly agricultural road, engine note growing as the revs piled on, no quitting with this supercharger, the engine just gets ever more urgent as revs mount, the power delivery becomes more rapid all the way up to the limiter, it feels like a very well sorted engine about a litre bigger than the Cayman’s transplanted 3.8 litre engine. I was impressed by the rate at which it builds speed, the responsiveness and the ease with which the car handles a huge hike in horsepower. For now lets just call it a ‘huge’ hike, I don’t believe its only the 440 horsepower claimed, it feels far stronger, in fact I’m on the same schedule as I am in the 997 Turbo, so that gives you an idea of just how much more this conversion gives. As I got into the car I noticed up-rated brakes and now I tested them before I need them in anger, nice linear feel with no perceptible lag before engaging, obviously they are doing a good job of coping with wet rotors.

From behind the wheel everything feels tight, the MPS2 shod wheels, not my favourite tyres if I am honest, feel solid on the road although I wouldn’t exactly describe them or the steering as talkative, we felt planted, the rear end was solid, tracking in line and not perceptibly moving around. As I began to up the work rate, the lack of aero began to assert itself so that running through corners at over 100 mph, I needed to ‘nig’ the front several times to get the tyres to bite and counteract the understeer, however at no stage did the car feel unstable doing this. The technique just felt entirely natural and appropriate for this car and much more appropriate for the chassis dynamics than suddenly backing off the throttle to kill the understeer.

Even in the rain and with variable visibility, overtaking was a breeze, the speed piling on and turning planned two car passes into whole queue manoeuvres. This car really does go down the road like a rat in a sewer. I’m impressed, the speed and handling are better than the Turbo and GT3 in the real world, although I am now feeling that it’s a bit tricky as the limit approaches, the low polar inertia will lead to the rear end coming round a bit suddenish, if you get my drift, it may not be as kind to novices as the GT3, but the whole time I’m thinking ‘what a great track tool’! And this one doesn’t yet have a LSD fitted. The options here are interesting and I look forward to trying one of Stasis Engineering’s modified units.

Hey, I want one of these, really I do, this is a real sports car, yet comfortable enough to spend the day in crossing continents. After too short a drive I stop and hand over to Jon over his protests, he too enormously enjoys his drive back. On our return I report how great we found the car and clarified a few points. Yes, the quoted 440 horsepower is extremely conservative, yes there are more options available.

What everybody thought is borne out in reality, the Cayman has a better chassis from a performance point of view than the 911. One of the problems as far as racing is concerned is that fitting a roll cage is less than straight forward. In retrospect this car impressed me as much as the 997 Turbo under whelmed me. I love this car, it handles like a dream and I’ll offer time and distance across country to GT3 and Turbo pilots with one of these to hand, run don’t walk to join the queue for one, its that good. To illustrate how different this supercharger is, I mentioned to Alois that I felt that the rev limiter should be softened, he looked surprised and said this was standard, so I pointed out that with the power growing ever more rapidly as the revs build you bounce that much harder when you do hit the limiter, but I only did it once, it was so sudden.

This car has joined a very select list of driving tools which have earned my five thumbs up accolade, amongst which are the 2006 Gallardo, this is rarefied company indeed.

For the more technically inclined, I’ve dug up some background on the supercharger. It has been developed by ASA under the guidance of CEO Christian Stöber and is described by them as a mechanically driven radial compressor. Yes, you may have seen versions fitted to Alpinas. Close examination reveals a jewel-like piece of engineering with beautifully executed twin intercoolers and revised inlet manifolds. Additional cooling requirements are taken care of by a third front mounted radiator and the supercharger’s oil supply is kept separate from that of the engine itself. The key to a long and reliable operating life is perfect balance. To this end, ASA does as much work in house as possible.

This supercharger technology certainly blurs the line between normal and forced induction as far as the driving experience goes, and a little (yellow) bird tells me that we are going to see a lot more of this technology.

----------

Some months after writing this review, I still like the car. I particularly like the thought of going on track and making all my mates with 997GT3RSs sick as I drive round them.

I also expect to see cars like this turning up in some race series over the next few seasons.

Driven fast and at the limit the car does reward the driver who applies finesse.

I have a slight question mark about going on holiday in the car, as to exactly how much luggage space is required. 'Er indoors, who has already put her hand up for one (well she is on a bit of a blonde spyder trip at the moment to add to the problem), travels with professional levels of luggage, so at the moment I've said that if she gets one, it lives where we go on holiday.

R+C

Last edited by Nordschleife; 03-26-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:59 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Cayman in action during a VLN race in 2006.

JW
Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Nice pic JW - can you send me a big one, pretty please?

R+C
Old 03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Nice pic JW - can you send me a big one, pretty please?
No problem. I'll send you one or two others of the same car
Please pm me your email address, or mail it to jw (at) jwhubbers (dot) nl as I do have an email address for you somewhere, but I'm not sure it's still valid.

You do realise that Jon still hasn't stopped talking about his Ruf experience...?

Cheers,

JW
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

here is the team website LINK
Old 03-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by icon
here is the team website LINK

thanks jeff

R+C
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blueillusion97
"Tuner Ruf says it went back to the 1973 Carrera RS for inspiration for the RGT"...
Awesome car but in which way has the 1973 RS inspired it? I personally don't see any "1973 RS" in it.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

There are some very nice pictures of those Cayman from the 24hours of Nurburgring. Outstanding cars. No wonder the new Alzen track beast is going to be build on one of these platforms.

Last year it was reported, that even the Porsche factory had the intention to use the mid-engine concept for the FIA GT program, but finally developed the 997GT3 RSR, only for marketing reasons some say.

As far as this technological supercharger wonder, they are indeed excellent, and they are based on a product called Turmat and used to be distributed for Porsche by Cartronic in Germany. This was developped all the way back in 1989 by ZF and distributed by one of their employees, Werner Shlattl and his company Bavaria Tech.

Now the interesting part is that this same supercharger was fitted by Techart back in 1996 on a 993 "CTR" (that I am sure many remember)..This company Bavaria Tech later became Cetoni and went bankrupt I believe.

One of the employees, Mr.Christian Stoeber bought the remaining material and founded his own company...ASA. Which has now been used by RUF for the supercharger.

The IC used by RUF is most likely this one : http://www.opcon.se/www/files/lamino...cool_21apr.pdf

Although I cannot confirm..

These supercharger have been quite succesful in the past and after all these years since they were first used on a Porsche car by Techart, I would guess they must deliver some very good results today with some great intercooling.

Quick Reply: RUF 997 RGT