Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Received the Projectcars CF front air vent...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

A part such as this can be many things -- plastic, plastic with one or more layers of carbon cloth and resin, fiberglass or some other material with one or more layers of carbon cloth and resin, carbon fiber, etc. Depending upon what one's requirements are (e.g., the "look", weight, aerodynamic properties, rigidity, load capacity, a combination of any or all of the foregoing, etc.) any of these possible methods of manufacture might be perfectly acceptable. Notwithstanding, four qualifications if you will permit me: (1) as noted above, a well made true carbon fiber piece should weigh 50% or less than the weight of a similar plastic piece; (2) if carbon fiber is used, as it can splinter into dangerous little "spikes", for certain pieces, one might consider mixing in some Kevlar for tear resistance, (3) in certain exterior pieces, given the potential rigidity of carbon fiber (i.e., there is such thing as flexible carbon fiber), aerodynamics can be affected (having said this, most street cars are not driven at speeds wherein this type of piece should have any dramtic effect and (4) one should consider the variances in costs that should be seen depending upon the mode of manufacture.

P.S. With respect to all, few street car owners have ever seen a truly first class, Formula 1 quality carbon fiber component. As such, I have witnessed occasions when someone will believe a piece is excellent when, in reality, its quality is mediocre at best. Having said that, and to paraphrase, 'you don't get nothing for nothing'.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbon fiber as a bona fide structural component that offers advantages in terms of weight, strength, stiffness, etc make a lot of sense to me (my mountain bike falls into this category). Carbon fiber components that are purely cosmetic don't.

Of course, IMHO.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 AM
rachelll
6th Gear

If Revozports is same as this Projectcars, better stay away.... read so many bad things about them, I recall reading somewhere about a US guy ordered some parts from them, paid online but the goods were never delivered. Quite a few reported the poor quality and fittings.

Given they are an internet retailer, I wonder why their products have not been sold locally... I am sure Hongkongers surf the net? There are a huge number of Luxury/sports car owners in that tiny sity and they all love to and definitely can afford to dress up their rides ... When the locals avoid, tells you something is fishy right?

Come to think about it, should have wondered when I saw the disclaimer "We are not affiliated with..."
Old 03-29-2007, 06:21 AM
project_cars
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rachelll
If Revozports is same as this Projectcars, better stay away.... read so many bad things about them, I recall reading somewhere about a US guy ordered some parts from them, paid online but the goods were never delivered. Quite a few reported the poor quality and fittings.

Given they are an internet retailer, I wonder why their products have not been sold locally... I am sure Hongkongers surf the net? There are a huge number of Luxury/sports car owners in that tiny sity and they all love to and definitely can afford to dress up their rides ... When the locals avoid, tells you something is fishy right?

Come to think about it, should have wondered when I saw the disclaimer "We are not affiliated with..."

I have been through your post history you have 3 out of 5 posts are complaining about the quality and fitment about us. All I want to know have you ever order any of our product? Or you just another COMPETITOR?

Also it is not that we are not willing to sell our products to the local market. We just mainly focus on the worldwide larger markets instead.

TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE FROM HONG KONG AND INTERESTED IN OUR PRODUCTS. WE ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO ASSIST YOU AT ANYTIME.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:25 AM
project_cars
Intermediate

Please let me clarify about this CF vent it is not for the weight saving. It is only for dress up purpose. Even thought it is 0.20oz heavier than the original vent. Does it really can tell the difference from track time? I guess not... It is not that we cannot make this in dry carbon. It is because the costing would be too high and no one would buy it. Also there is no point to make this little bumper vent lighter. If it is for weight saving I would go for bumper, door and bonnet…this way I could save lot more weight.

Regarding the fitment and quality issues I will leave it judge by the people who actually bought our products. Since now we have already sold some of our products to people from this forum.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by project_cars
Please let me clarify about this CF vent it is not for the weight saving. It is only for dress up purpose.
Bling Bling....

I don't understand why people go for this stuff???
Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
cladd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just keep laughing at this thread. The purists seem to be offended by cosmetic improvements. These are usually the low option guys by definition, I guess. I understand your slant and respect it.

I drive my car on the street and a few visual improvements such as the air vent and wing just make it that much more sweeter for me and makes it even more "my" car.

I'm not some spokesman for "project cars" or anything, but I really like the two things I have received. Once I get the powder coated grills on, I'll post pics with the vent and wing.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by cladd
I just keep laughing at this thread. The purists seem to be offended by cosmetic improvements. These are usually the low option guys by definition, I guess. I understand your slant and respect it.
Not so much low option, but I like 'real' stuff. Like, full leather is real. Somebody killed some cows to make my interior look and smell nice, and it has texture and variegation.

I'm not a big fan of the faux aluminum trim pieces. I'd love an aftermarket company to make solid billet aluminum replacements. That I'd buy. . . as real looks and feels better (like some of the real metal trim pieces in my Ferrari). You'd think for a 100 grand I could get some real metal instead of a facsimile of it. I think fake wood in a car is cheap, but real wood, like in the wife's Lexus can be warm and really give a car an expensive feel/look.

Stick-on carbon fiber from the factory doesn't thrill me b/c it's fake, not structural. . . and the aftermarket is worse b/c the quality cannot match OEM.

So, it's not so much of 'dressing' up a car, but the use of genuine materials. 'Real' carbon fiber is used as a structural component (like on my bike or in an CGT), not as a fancy paint.

I'm not a big fan of fake laminate flooring over real wood flooring, or fake *****.

But hey, just IMO.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cladd
I drive my car on the street and a few visual improvements such as the air vent and wing just make it that much more sweeter for me and makes it even more "my" car.
Now you understand the predicament Porsche is in when they design their latest street legal trackable car, the GT-3. They have to appeal to me and this guy. I'm trying to take stuff out of my car I don't need and there are the types who are trying to "personalize" their street machine, not that there's anything wrong or right with either approach.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:03 AM
rachelll
6th Gear

project_cars - No need to over react. This purpose of this discussion board is for people to exchange views with each other. If you read the english properly, I suggested that I know and heard people who purchased from REVOZPORTS before had bad experience.

I did not say "PROJECT CARS". My question was "Is PROJECT CARS = REVOZPORTS???"

So are you confirming PROJECT CARS = REVOZPORTS? It certainly seems like it... considering your reaction to my queries. I couldn't think of any reason why you would have such reactions if you are not affiliated with REVOZPORTS.

May be you can shed some light?

BTW - With internet, there is no such thing as concentrate in worldwide markets. It was appeared strange that your website never mentioned local delivery. No background of your company...etc etc.

May be you can shed some light on the background of your company? Who is the founder, where your goods are made, what technique, materials, QC, your experience in this industry...etc

The wishy washy "ABOUT US" on your website just doesn't inspire confidence from my perspective. Afterall, you are selling goods via the net, we cannot see/inspect the goods physically until delivery...etc. Its only fair that we know more about your company.

Finally, I am not a COMPETITOR. I love my cars, but definitely not enough to build a business on this hobby.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Plastic stock cover = 0 dollars.
Carbon fiber vent to look cool = 360 dollars.
Arguing over 0.20 oz to look cool = Priceless.

Ok, Ok I am just joking, I really couldn't help myself. ........Troll, out
Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 AM
see you next tuesday
2nd Gear

peace you people, peace...
some personalise their cars to enhance performance - by adding power, subtracting weight or both
some personalise their cars to enhance aesthetics...all subjective, of course
some people spend lots of dosh "improving" their cars
some people would rather "improve" their own skills
whenever there's a demand, there will be a supply

but why would one supplier openly declare it's not affiliated with any company whatsoever?

if i had Porsche's blessings, or Ruf's approval, Gemballa's support, etc...i would use it as a nice sales-pitch to increase my credibility...

but if i was isolated by the rest of the world, WHY would i proclaim it?

is there some HISTORY in previous, unsavoury affiliations!?

(cue the X-files' music)....
Old 04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, why do I have CF and titanium cuff links?
In my book it's OK to mod performance, improve your driving skills, and add some techno-bling if you enjoy the whole deal.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:13 PM
see you next tuesday
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
So, why do I have CF and titanium cuff links?
In my book it's OK to mod performance, improve your driving skills, and add some techno-bling if you enjoy the whole deal.
really? where u get CF and Ti C-links from?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mont Blanc

Quick Reply: Received the Projectcars CF front air vent...