Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Supposedly the latest word on RS '08 production

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:19 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by A430v
M5 was crap...as a daily driver in LA traffic.
hey i'm still driving it.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:19 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enthusiast
I think the main problem with the 2004 - 2005 North America 996 GT3 production quantity (less than a 1000 units) is that Porsche AG allows PCNA dealers to speculate and order cars without customers. I think they do themselves in by specing lots of cosmetic junk on the GT3 then gambling that it will sell (they make good money on all those options).

When you get the Porsche factory tour at Zuffenhausen they love to brag that all the cars are built to cutomer order, they don't come clean on the PCNA process.
He has it right now. Every dealership I know speculates on select cars in order to maximize THEIR profits. Porsche GMBH sees these custom orders, which they are, but only by the dealers. THEN cars sit on lots that no one wants. The Carrera GT was the same way, dealers thought they knew more than a team of statisticions (sp?) paid way overinflated salaries from PCNA to get the market correct. They lost in the end and now Porsche is trying to remedy the situation. Another example was the last 2005 Turbo S coupe and Cabriolet. All of the dealers I frequent spec'ed a ton of them because they were all going to sell. Again many sat on dealers floors losing money because by the time their special Turbo S's showed up, specs on the 997 Turbo were released. The person (albeit collectors) that is spending $150k on a car doesn't want last years technology.

Look how many RS allocations have already opened up just by reading this forum. Look at the dealers who aren't honoring customers orders in an effort to make a quick buck. Our local dealer is getting exactly as many RS's as customers expressed a serious interest in; 2. Most customers at the opening (myself included) were not impressed by what the RS had to offer over the standard GT3. Now that production units are on the road we see what the car is really made of. Perfect situation for Porsche enthusiasts, bad situation for car flippers dealers.

Wes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
Probably because the numbers work out to the same thing, as has been demonstrated time and again, a large # of people chasing this car would have no interest in it if it were available (ironic I know).

If there were more cars availabe many of the purported buyers would be sitting around, hoping to pick one up at a 30% discount (like the 996 GT3). The Dealers would be crying to PCNA, and hopes for future RS cars would be dashed becuase the last ones hadn't sold.

Instead, you have greedy Dealers trying to outsmart PCNA and greedy customers trying to outsmart Dealers. Welcome to Capitalism! And hopefuly the "myth" of the RS will endure throughout it all.
Bingo...right on the dot Colm. Just like the CGT...my dealer at one time had THREE sitting on the lot. As for the 996 GT3, at the end of production, they had TWO in stock. No one wanted them. Conversely though, if the CGT or 996 GT3 quickly sold out (like the RS), people would go crazy for them, ala Ferrari. Supply and demand.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

North America was originally supposed to get around 640 996 GT3s. The final number was nine hundred and something. I think the car did allot better than people give it credit for.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by 20C4S
Kekekeke...on your SECOND one too. OK, back to '08 RS production discussions.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by whakiewes
He has it right now. Every dealership I know speculates on select cars in order to maximize THEIR profits. Porsche GMBH sees these custom orders, which they are, but only by the dealers. THEN cars sit on lots that no one wants. The Carrera GT was the same way, dealers thought they knew more than a team of statisticions (sp?) paid way overinflated salaries from PCNA to get the market correct. They lost in the end and now Porsche is trying to remedy the situation. Another example was the last 2005 Turbo S coupe and Cabriolet. All of the dealers I frequent spec'ed a ton of them because they were all going to sell. Again many sat on dealers floors losing money because by the time their special Turbo S's showed up, specs on the 997 Turbo were released. The person (albeit collectors) that is spending $150k on a car doesn't want last years technology.

Look how many RS allocations have already opened up just by reading this forum. Look at the dealers who aren't honoring customers orders in an effort to make a quick buck. Our local dealer is getting exactly as many RS's as customers expressed a serious interest in; 2. Most customers at the opening (myself included) were not impressed by what the RS had to offer over the standard GT3. Now that production units are on the road we see what the car is really made of. Perfect situation for Porsche enthusiasts, bad situation for car flippers dealers.

Wes

Your statements, though do have some merit, are not entirely true. So how many RS allocations have opened up? Do you know, or are you speculating based on internet 'buzz'? We recieved ONE. If we were in the business of taking deposits, we would have had 8 (that I personally know of) and yet, I'd still only have ONE car to deliver. I can safely say, that if each dealership had one to sell, they'd sell it in a heart beat. If the car is sitting, the dealership is waiting or someone to pay the premium their asking. Pure and simple.

CGT on the other hand, well, inventories are dwindling by the moment and pricess are stablizing. I fail to see how the CGT failed Porsche. Produced to many? Only if that's your personal view. To the guy who just picked one up- I don't think they'll agree with you.

And as far as dealership's speculating; I'd invite you to sit in on the phone calls we get from the Market Manager's themselves- it'll shed some light on this topic. They tell us what they want us to know and speaking for myself and my dealership, we do the best at GIVING information with what we're given; We're not mind readers.

Are you?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:04 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by A430v
M5 was crap...as a daily driver in LA traffic. If I lived in Germany with the Autobahn, it would be a different story. 996 GT3 gone in anticipation of RS (May production).

Honestly, I could care less about the numbers. You buy the cars to enjoy them, the re-sale is a bonus. A car is a depreciating asset (aside from Ferraris ). Yes, you might say I'm not complaining because I managed to secure an allocation for an RS, but on the flip side, there's a CGT in the family too (not mine). We knew the production #s were high, we knew re-sale would tank (at least in the short-term), but that didn't stop us from custom ordering the car and frankly, the CGT won't be sold anytime soon. You win some, you lose some. Took a big hit on the M5, but did rather well with the 996 GT3. So there you have it...
How do you like the RS4 versus the M5. I couldn't decide which but went with the M5 since I have had a number of them and it was bigger.

Your thoughts?

JCM
Old 03-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

There is something else to consider. Most reviews of the RS compared to the GT3 found very little difference between the two cars. All felt that only the very best drivers would be able to extract what the RS has to offer over the GT3.

With so many Porsche buyers today and a surfeit of information on the respective cars, most are opting for the GT3. Porsche probably knows this.

And for those of you that buy Porsche claim that they are protecting resale value of the RS, I have a bridge to sell you. If Porsche could sell 10,000 RS's they will build them. They could care less about brand devaluation. What is important is continuing to generate the best profit margin in the industry.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick
And for those of you that buy Porsche claim that they are protecting resale value of the RS, I have a bridge to sell you. If Porsche could sell 10,000 RS's they will build them. They could care less about brand devaluation. What is important is continuing to generate the best profit margin in the industry.
I would not agree with this statement at all. This is an "us against them" attitude and while as consumers we have the right to think that way (or any other way we want) I sincerely doubt Porsche is so cavilier with their image as your comments suggest.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Allegretto, you are aware that Porsche sells a Slovakian-bulit VW truck, right?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In a way the discourse between CGT & RS is apples and oranges..

PAG ramped-up the new assembly facility in Leipzg for the CGT. PCNA raised their hand and in some cases dumped product on dealers, who in some cases sat on them for almost 2 years.

The RS production along with every other varient is on the standard assembly line and production numbers can be modified.

All we can do is speculate what the beancounters at PAG will do.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by supercup
How do you like the RS4 versus the M5. I couldn't decide which but went with the M5 since I have had a number of them and it was bigger.

Your thoughts?

JCM
You might want to ask 20C4S this question also, he's had an RS4 in addition to his 2 M5s. As for me, two things I did not like about the M5 was SMG and no low end torque. This made it horrible in LA traffic. I got the SMG smooth 99% of the time, but that 1%, which you have no control over (it's up to the computer), really bugged me. At a stop light, the M5 is a bit slow in terms of take off, because no torque and once again, SMG. And I drove in S6/P500S ALL THE TIME. Don't get me wrong...the M5 is a great product and like I said, if I lived in Germany where I could use the full revs, I would totally keep it, but not in the US, especially LA.

As for the RS4, what can I say? I'm in love. You know when you step into a car and just feel everything is right? That's how I feel with the RS4...the same feeling I got with the M3 and GT3. Great low end torque, no need to rev the engine, plus easy and fun to drive. Made even better now that I have a Milltek exhaust and European steering wheel. Definitely not as much space as the M5, but that's fine with me. Awesome fit and finish and great ergonomics (no I-Drive). Finally, no offense to anyone here, I guess the RS4 fits me better, since I'm in my late twenties. The M5 just felt a little old to me. Again, no offense. Cheers!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Allegretto, you are aware that Porsche sells a Slovakian-bulit VW truck, right?
And...?

I'm not familiar with that particular product but I am familiar with German companies. I'm quite sure they feel quite different about utility trucks and RS's!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Do they need it? No, but they do have shareholders they are responsible to, and the decision makers no doubt receive bonuses based on profits.
the porsche/piech families own 100% of the voting stock.
so they don't have to answer to anyone.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Do I recall correctly that about 700 996 GT3s came to North America? With the regular GT3 and a few hundred RS versions, I think PAG has got it about right.
i agree but any increase in RS pproduction could be taken out of gt3 production.
does anyone know if there is a cap on the RS's that can be shipped to na?

Originally Posted by Colm
People always want what they can't have! Face it, a lot of people want this car because they think it is made of "unobtainium"
OK! OK! colm . . . i admit it!

Originally Posted by 20C4S
arling, did you get a stick this time?

Originally Posted by MJones
PAG ramped-up the new assembly facility in Leipzg for the CGT. PCNA raised their hand and in some cases dumped product on dealers, who in some cases sat on them for almost 2 years.
The RS production along with every other varient is on the standard assembly line and production numbers can be modified.
first i heard that cgt's were dumped on dealers?
are these cars that were refused by the ordering dealer?
surely they came w/ some incentive to take the car?
production numbers that can be modified on the RS goes w/ my idea to cut any increase out of gt3 production.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:06 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
arling, did you get a stick this time?
stick only belongs to sports car. M5 is not.

Quick Reply: Supposedly the latest word on RS '08 production