Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First up, PDE, second up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First up, PDE, second up?

On the final approach for the new car. I plan to take a long time friend to the PDE this summer and see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure it'll be a blast. I've had a reasonable amount of track time over the years (though not this last year) and am looking forward to some instruction from a pro.

Anyway, I was watching this Drifter kid on Speedvision tear up at Road Atlanta on a show, the Forza Motorsport Challenge. It got me thinking that drifting, while silly, naturally teaches great car control skills and handling big slip angle oversteer situations. This cannot be a bad thing. So, after the PDE was thinking of a drifter school.

At worst, it will be fun. At best, it should be fun and instructive. Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

I think it's a good idea Jeff.

Going out and playing on a skidpad is something I wish our region would do. The one time I've been on one was eye opening to say the least. Plus, when the limits are exceeded the spin happens at low speeds with little 'impact' with hard things.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

i think it is a great idea. although drifting is frowned upon by most track guys, the level of car control, looking far ahead and smoothness required to drive a racing line ona track sideways is a great skill to develop.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
krC2S
Racer

go for it i think drifting will be even more useful than PDE.. great car control
Old 02-28-2007, 02:26 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by krC2S
go for it i think drifting will be even more useful than PDE.. great car control
When I went to PDE (when it was still at Road Atlanta), they had a segment in a 996 C2 on a wet skid pad with very little grip. It was extremely useful, but far too short in duration.

Looking back, I would trade a whole day of instruction on track (maybe because I've been lucky to have a lot) for more time on that small skidpad. And then a chance to graduate to a far larger one...

pete
Old 02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try Camp4, the ice driving school and you will get your fill of drifting type exercises.

Last edited by PogueMoHone; 02-28-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I also did PDE back when it was at Road Atlanta. Jeff, with your track experience, it's probably a waste of your time if they still run it the same way with lots of classroom, drills, lead-follow, etc.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Classroom, drills, lead follow. . . I'm beyond all that. Was solo'd years ago, run in either the fastest or second fastest run group.

That said, I don't have any really good one on one instruction from an expert of the 911 chassis. This is what I really want to get. As an alternative, I was thinking of getting a good season of track time behind me, and bringing out a pro like Stanton for some one on one instruction. A buddy of mine wants to split his time with me.

I'm still thinking driftin' yo. Course I'll be the old man of the group.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Classroom, drills, lead follow. . . I'm beyond all that. Was solo'd years ago, run in either the fastest or second fastest run group.

That said, I don't have any really good one on one instruction from an expert of the 911 chassis. This is what I really want to get. As an alternative, I was thinking of getting a good season of track time behind me, and bringing out a pro like Stanton for some one on one instruction. A buddy of mine wants to split his time with me.

I'm still thinking driftin' yo. Course I'll be the old man of the group.
You may indeed be past PDE 1. Then again, we can always learn something in these environments.

I suspect the drifting school -- or Camp4 -- would be a great way to study and polish the skills required to collect a car at or past the edge, though it's obviously not going to help you get around the track faster -- other than in its ability to help take the fear out.

If you're going to hire a coach, hire David Murry. Can't speak to Stanton (but have heard good things), but Murry is the best one-on-one driving teacher I've been privileged to spend time with.

IMHO, he's got a gift in this area, one that allows him to translate more of his skill in conversation and coaching than many "bigger" names. The fact he's a gem of a guy is icing on the cake.

After that, I highly recommend Ruf Fahrtraining -- probably over and above any of the American schools I've been to. No time in a classroom. Instead, you're divided up into four groups, sent to four parts of the track (Hockenheim club track, last time I did it) and then you work on a single corner with a serious coach (Wolfgang Weber, in this case) watching you several times before stopping you and giving you tips from *outside* the car.

Was skeptical it would be helpful, but repeating the same drill 10+ times, then getting suggestions, then repeating it 10+ more times was amazing. Hairpin, two-corner combo, three-corner combo, then 4-5 corner setup. After doing all four sections and a break for lunch, they turned us loose on the track, either with or without instructors... and then you could piece the whole thing together. Best way I've seen to "learn" a track yet.

And also very, very fun...

pete
Old 02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I am coming over to the dark side too. I thought that drifting was a big waste of time and tires.
But like you said Jeff (I saw Gushi too) I think it would pay off. He was all over the corvette with
1/2 the horse power. Buy some decent tires for that so you dont waste $1000 for the weekend and
go shred them.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
frayed
Race Car

Thanks for the tips Pete! Much appreciated.

Old guy, I thought it hilarious that the young fella in the Z06 could barely get away from Gushi. Of course, this is what all of us have experienced on track in DEs one way or another. Me driving an E36 M3 it was pretty easy to be the giant slayer against not-well-driven vettes and vipers, for example.

What I'm hoping of drifting/Camp4 or similar car control clinic, is high speed gathering up of a car. As in, when you mess up (e.g., trail brake way to hard) and find yourself wayyyy out of shape, it's not butt puckering to gather up the car. And to do it reliably and skillfully.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Buy some decent tires for that so you dont waste $1000 for the weekend and
go shred them.
Why I wish the "real" schools would do slick-track stuff. All the learning (or, at least, most of it), none (or little) of the wear and tear...

In this way, I think drifting is incredibly wasteful.... but then I guess I oughtta go look in the mirror, eh?

Cheers!

pete

Last edited by stout; 02-28-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
krC2S
Racer

+1 on the tires

just find a local drift day no instrcution just stage and go you could ask people to ride with you an give you tips though

or a drifting school like this

http://www.driftday.com/frames.htm with their car etc

these are much better than a car control clinic since it's a track or an autocross course not a skid pad

definitely worth trying
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The begining PDE may be a bust for you given your experience.
The Masters Class may be better suited for you...some of the skills exercises are always great ie. SKIDPAD = black ice.

At PDE you just need to check you ego at the door and be receptive to the system. Driving Barber Motorsports Park is a challange, not great speed but highly technical with many fast blind entry fall away corners.

If you have the dough, hireing either David Murry or Craig Stanton is a great idea. Both can drive the wheels off anything they are in and are great instructors that have the ability to communicate the finer points of driving.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by krC2S
+or a drifting school like this

http://www.driftday.com/frames.htm with their car etc

these are much better than a car control clinic since it's a track or an autocross course not a skid pad

definitely worth trying
Thanks mang. Been exchanging emails with the owner; looks like they'll have some guys out my way (Houston) in June, so we can do some stuff in the GT3.

HMMMMmmmmm, gonna need some take offs from some rennlisters to roast for the day.

Quick Reply: First up, PDE, second up?