Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First up, PDE, second up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shows how naive I am. I figured all you guys were a bunch of hot-shoe savants who could tip-toe out of any mess. I'm stressing about the edge of oversteer and figuring everyone else is driving like they were born counter-steering and grinnin'. Glad to know some other guys wonder how many times they'll have to explore the dark side before they can handle it smoothly.

I'm trying to get a "skid day" at our club this year. We could wet down some of the safer areas, but it still would be off-road and therefore possibly expensive. The alternative is just a skid pad, which is good and far better than nothing, but not like a track.

So guys, do you think a skid pad and near no-risk of damage, or a wet track and off-road. Big run offs, no walls but still...?

Sorry to cop your thread Beast..send me off if I offend Ye
Old 03-01-2007, 01:47 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
What I'm hoping of drifting/Camp4 or similar car control clinic, is high speed gathering up of a car. As in, when you mess up (e.g., trail brake way to hard) and find yourself wayyyy out of shape, it's not butt puckering to gather up the car. And to do it reliably and skillfully.
I was chatting with one of the head Skip Barber instructors who was out doing some 1:1 coaching at a Laguna Seca track day event back in Jan. I brought up this very thing, as I want to have the confidence to carry more speed into a corner and if things get out of whack know I have a good chance of gathering it back in. He explained this is where advanced car control comes in, and after he mentioned the SB advance car control course said he was discussing an idea with the track day organizer that day to combine a track day with a car control clinic using a coned off high speed corner (or a couple of corner types) in the infield to let people really get aggressive on speed and turn-in and get some coaching on technique without the consequences of going for it out on the track. I thought that was a great idea and a lot more focused than thrashing around on an autocross course. Would like to see this kind of thing at some of the club events around here - providing the track can accommodate it.

Also, considering their advanced car control course although it isn't taught in 911's. If anybody has take the Skip Barber advanced car control course please chime in on whether you found it useful or not. TIA.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me try it again for you guys:

Camp4 and ice driving will let you tip toe up to the ragged edge, and hone your skills, without risking the ranch!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 AM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I think it's a good idea Jeff.

Going out and playing on a skidpad is something I wish our region would do. The one time I've been on one was eye opening to say the least. Plus, when the limits are exceeded the spin happens at low speeds with little 'impact' with hard things.
Chris

solo 1 casc-or has a school with skidpad and some lapping on mosport ddt. it's a training / big go kart track but fairly technical in nature and good for learning car control at slow to moderate speeds especially if it's wet.
http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/attachm...1&d=1170281061

there's also a couple of ice racing / car control schools held in minden, ontario. my previous co-driver swears by it and has won the ontario solo 1 champion 10 times ... i only beat him once in the dozen or so events we did together.

also if you're looking for r compund kumho's casc is running a group buy through casselman in ottawa.
http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10026
Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 AM
frayed
Race Car

Update. I talked with the owner of Driftday noted earlier in this thread (Naoki). His recommendation is that a private drifting sessions in *your own car* are ideal, b/c of the nuances of the 911 and the fact that taking drifting classes in a car setup for it won't completely transfer over to the GT3.

He is coming with several instructors to compete in the drift competition (www.driftshowoff.com) on Houston on 6/9. I'm trying to get him to do private lessons the day after. I'll definitely do it if they do offer lessons the day after. So, any Texans out there in a 911 that has an LSD, this would be a fun way to kill a Sunday. I'll talk with the local Houston Chapter about getting people signed up.

Cheap and local.

I think Camp4 would be fun too, but since you are on ice or snow, speeds are lower and grip is different than hot rubber on pavement.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
So, any Texans out there in a 911 that has an LSD, this would be a fun way to kill a Sunday.
And kill a pair of tires.........
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM
frayed
Race Car

Definitely. I was thinking I'd have a new set of tires waiting for me in Houston to mount up after the day's activities. My car should be here in about a month, and by the time 6/10 rolls around, the rears should be shot anyway.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

Just for you

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5S4lJcqiVBM
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 AM
frayed
Race Car

Hahahahahahaha, thanks Colm. That's some great stuff.

Quick Reply: First up, PDE, second up?