Or beer...
But it is Texas after all...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What?

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I'll bet another cool million that I can repeatedly turn 10 minutes faster lap times in a sunroofless GT3. Or 20 minutes, or 30 or whatever you want...
Am I reading this right? I normally don't believe in "get-rich-quick" scheme but this one is too good to pass up.

There are only 2 "Flying Finns" I know of and you are not one of them. And I don't mean that you are slow by any measure.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

I definitely would NOT take that bet.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Am I reading this right? I normally don't believe in "get-rich-quick" scheme but this one is too good to pass up.

There are only 2 "Flying Finns" I know of and you are not one of them. And I don't mean that you are slow by any measure.
Originally Posted by frayed
I definitely would NOT take that bet.
Since it's me driving both cars, I can control the pace... I'll just pussyfoot (big time!) with the sunroof GT3 and drive normally with the non sunroof GT3.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

exactly.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
exactly.
I had him!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with Mitch, the car is too nice to care about the hole.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:25 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Why the world don't you guys (sunroof advocates) get it? No one is saying that because of the sunroof the car sucks...all we (lower weight/priniciple/the heck with the sunroof crowd) are saying is that we would want it without the hole! We want a low weight car, making it IMHO a better car to drive...
Old 02-23-2007, 10:16 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I agree that we don't want the hole. What I'm saying is that I don't know if I would molest the car to get rid of it.

I'll tell you all something interesting about these boards and the whole GT-3 issue. If you read all the posts you'll see that there are alot of people who are buying this car with no intention of tracking it. They are optioning the car to the hilt. Porsche does their homework, I'm sure they have focus groups. If they though the car would be hard to sell because you couldn't order one without the hole, they would have made it available. The sad truth is that we enthusiasts are a small, insignificant group. I am an audiophile as well and have the same issues with the direction audio is going. On the Audiophile boards, you would think that since we mostly agree about what direction the media should be going, it would go that way but again, the sad truth is that we are the minority.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 AM
frayed
Race Car

That's a good point Mitch. While the first GT3, the second and the third (mine) from my dealer went to or are going to track enthusiasts, I believe the two RSs aren't going to hard core track guys. I think that the total GT3/RS production is going to a mixed bag of owners, possibly track oriented guys being the minority.

Then there are the truly hardcore who already have a cup car or the like that they use for track only, and the new GT3 is a street toy and occasional track car for them. After all, if you have fully built track car that is immensely capable, lighter, faster, safer, it's hard to get excited about tracking a 3200lb street car.

Maybe you are right on the SR thing. Obviously it doesn't have to be removed to make the car enjoyable and since cars have a tendency of not having a long term spot in my garage, it may work against me come resale. OTOH, if after 6 mos. I'm still smitten with the 3, I'll probably give the nod to RUF.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Mitch & Jeff,

I agree but I think that ("track oriented Porsches going to the people who don't track") is always the case when the car is new.
Once most of those who bought the car just as a daily driver (or to have the latest and the greatest)move to the next new model and the car finds it's second (or 3rd) owner, bigger number of those cars are being tracked. Much bigger number.

You'll always have some (what would be the %, I don't know but I thing it's pretty big) "track oriented" cars that are not tracked but older those cars get, more of them are being tracked. This is actually true for any Porsche model (ok, Cayenne not included), not only these "track oriented" cars.

BTW, just as a data point, once I finally get my GT3 (or 2), I don't think I will track it, at least not much. That might of course change once I go to the track with it and get the feeling of what extra 130 or so horses do to you on long straight of Sebring but that's the plan anyway.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:15 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Hopefully that's true that almost all Porsches end up spending most of their lives on the track. My point is that Porsche doesn't care about the used car market, they want to sell new cars to the masses who mostly buy these great cars to get something else missing in their lives. (women, status etc...)
Old 02-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
Hopefully that's true that almost all Porsches end up spending most of their lives on the track. My point is that Porsche doesn't care about the used car market, they want to sell new cars to the masses who mostly buy these great cars to get something else missing in their lives. (women, status etc...)
Ain't that the truth. They could care less about the "outlaws" like me who own their Porsche for a long time, scream loud when Porsche flies by at 12 hrs at Sebring and rarely go into the dealer.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up Haaahaaaa

Originally Posted by mitch236
...the masses who mostly buy these great cars to get something else missing in their lives. (women, status etc...)
Isn't that the main reason the Tiptronic was invented for the Turbo's?

2nd Edit: Wom"e"n??? Haahahahahahaha

Quick Reply: The "hole" Challenge