Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 315's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997 GT3 315's?

3156 miles and time for some new rears. Has anyone gone to 315's yet? If so has it helped with the twitchiness?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Is there twitchiness?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trj
Is there twitchiness?
I've been have some issues with the *** getting a little happy and the TC kicking in at times when I feel it shouldn't. I will be taking it to TRG soon to have an alignment and am hoping that will help. Could be my driving style!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:27 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reports about twitchiness from early owners and from the Excellence article. Also reports of the cars coming from the factory with rear sway full stiff. I wonder if track alignment (more camber especially up front) and loosening the rear bar a notch would help?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The rear sway is now three positions, not four.
Twitchiness is somehow coming to be interpreted as a lot more than anything I've experience in the car. The 996 has some twitch and "shimmy" (side to side play in the collective effective of all the rear bushings) and the 997 has a little less. Once you're on slicks on the track, I think it will be important to upgrade some of the control arms to tie rods and heim joints.
As for 315's, the car really needs more in the front, say 265's?

What tire and size do you have in mind?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The rear sway is now three positions, not four.
Twitchiness is somehow coming to be interpreted as a lot more than anything I've experience in the car. The 996 has some twitch and "shimmy" (side to side play in the collective effective of all the rear bushings) and the 997 has a little less. Once you're on slicks on the track, I think it will be important to upgrade some of the control arms to tie rods and heim joints.
As for 315's, the car really needs more in the front, say 265's?

What tire and size do you have in mind?
Interesting. I don't seem to have a problem turning in to the corners at all. (larger tires in front?)
If you look at a Ca. map I live right at the Mendocino/Sonoma county line on Hwy-1. Most of my driving is 2nd & 3rd gear. I also drive an 05 997S. The S seems to be way more predictable the the 3. The 3 is, what can say, twitchy. The TC kicks in at times when I don't think it needs to and jerks the car around. As I stated earlier, I will be taking it in for an alignment sometime week after next and see what the boys at TRG suggest. Also, it will be interesting to see how the car came set-up from the factory.

I plan on replacing the tires with the same Pilot sport cups which came with the car.

PS You got'a love these cars, even with the sunroof!!!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

FYI, here an example of one of the roads I have to drive!! Sucks doesn't it?!?
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sh*t! If I had a road like that I'd never get out of my car
Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeff,

I read in a post of yours, perhaps on Rennteam, that you were aware of a race shop that was test fitting Cup wheels on a street GT3 with PCCBs. Do you know the outcome of this experiment? My car has steel brakes and am guessing that they would fit perfectly. Do you know which wheels the 997 Cup car uses? If I could impose a bit more, do you know the width and offset of the 997 Cup wheels?

Thanks in advance,
Hank
Old 02-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Interesting. I don't seem to have a problem turning in to the corners at all. (larger tires in front?)
If you look at a Ca. map I live right at the Mendocino/Sonoma county line on Hwy-1. Most of my driving is 2nd & 3rd gear. I also drive an 05 997S. The S seems to be way more predictable the the 3. The 3 is, what can say, twitchy. The TC kicks in at times when I don't think it needs to and jerks the car around. As I stated earlier, I will be taking it in for an alignment sometime week after next and see what the boys at TRG suggest. Also, it will be interesting to see how the car came set-up from the factory.

I plan on replacing the tires with the same Pilot sport cups which came with the car.

PS You got'a love these cars, even with the sunroof!!!!!
I know the roads you mean and wish I was there more often. Let's have a 997 GT3 drive up there one weekend.

Soon enough you'll have the GT3 dialed in and the S will be a distant memory.

Let's talk about what TRG recommends.

I'd be reasonably confident you can get the GT3 alignment dialed in at Sonnen. A combination of removing some bushings and dialing in roll stiffness will remove any thought of "twitchiness" but on the street, there's really no opportunity to access the potential of the car.

For the street, as long as you're comfortable with $1500 lasting 3K miles, that's fine, but there is a wide selection of much better tyres out there. At the very least, I'd try the other factory fitment tyre (the Corsa) and you'll notice both more stick and better control in the wet.

In my experience, these bigger, heavier, more powerful 911's can work a lot wider tire on the front once the suspension and tires are working well together, more stick on the front opens up the potential to send more and more power to the ground without feeling like you're driving a 935.

Have you been seeing the yellow TC indicator light flashing?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:45 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

997 GT3 Cup wheels will rub on a standard 997 GT3 street car. The offset is even more aggressive than the RS wheels, the fenders on the Cup are deeply rolled, and the tires are skinny 270 slicks. The wider 305 will rub, guaranteed.

997 GT3 Cup:
Front: 18" x 9" ET 43
Rear: 18" x 11" ET 30

However, rolling the rear fenders and removing the 5mm spacer, could make it work with the 305 tire. But why do that, when you can run 335 or 345 tires with the right offset wheels?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
Jeff,

I read in a post of yours, perhaps on Rennteam, that you were aware of a race shop that was test fitting Cup wheels on a street GT3 with PCCBs. Do you know the outcome of this experiment? My car has steel brakes and am guessing that they would fit perfectly. Do you know which wheels the 997 Cup car uses? If I could impose a bit more, do you know the width and offset of the 997 Cup wheels?

Thanks in advance,
Hank
Hank, Farnbacher confirms that both Fikse 18's and BBS Cup 'knockoffs' fit over the PCCBs. This is great news to me, leaving us with PSC, Nitto, Hoosier, Toyo tire options. Racking slicks too.

I say 'knockoffs" b/c the real cup wheels are centerlocks. Fikses come recommended by Farnbacher and are the wheels I'll go with. If you go with BBS, make sure you get the uprated rim halves to withstand occasional street use if you plan on driving to the track.

Not sure on the offsets. I think you get various offsets and rim widths depending on how you get them built up.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

That's interesting, I have some 18's from the 996, I'll go push those of the fronts and see if they're clear. That would be a nice solution at least for now.

Having watched a 360CS blow up a 19 on a berm at Laguna, I'm cautious about banging around in 19's on the equally heavy GT3.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I know the roads you mean and wish I was there more often. Let's have a 997 GT3 drive up there one weekend.

Soon enough you'll have the GT3 dialed in and the S will be a distant memory.

Let's talk about what TRG recommends.

I'd be reasonably confident you can get the GT3 alignment dialed in at Sonnen. A combination of removing some bushings and dialing in roll stiffness will remove any thought of "twitchiness" but on the street, there's really no opportunity to access the potential of the car.

For the street, as long as you're comfortable with $1500 lasting 3K miles, that's fine, but there is a wide selection of much better tyres out there. At the very least, I'd try the other factory fitment tyre (the Corsa) and you'll notice both more stick and better control in the wet.

In my experience, these bigger, heavier, more powerful 911's can work a lot wider tire on the front once the suspension and tires are working well together, more stick on the front opens up the potential to send more and more power to the ground without feeling like you're driving a 935.

Have you been seeing the yellow TC indicator light flashing?
Yeah, a weekend with a bunch of GT3's sounds great!

I had a set of the Corsa's on the S. I did not like them at all on these roads, switched back to the Michelin's. I did get about 5600 miles out of them but boy were they ever noisy! Neither one is real good in the rain.

Yes, the light flashes frequently on the 3 as it does on the S. If anyone wants to enjoy a some of the local roads drop me a PM and we can arrange a little tour. Cheers
Old 02-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Bob Woodman tire and he will build you up a set of BBS wheens with exactly the right offset. You can definitely fit 315s and maybe the 335s.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 315's?