997 GT3 315's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Call Bob Woodman tire and he will build you up a set of BBS wheens with exactly the right offset. You can definitely fit 315s and maybe the 335s.

335's? in a narrow body 997? Maybe the GT3 has more space. I imagine the RS can take more in the rear (so to speak.)

Anyway, I read BBS filed for bankruptcy protection. I wonder what they're doing.

For custom wheels, I like Forgeline. Light, strong three piece http://www.forgeline.com (no affiliation.)

I do agree with the generall approach of a custom wheel or at least a custom product from somwhere like Champion, Kinesis, Fikse etc. rather than go with something off the shelf.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not only I run 335 on a narrow body 996 (narrower than the 997), I run the widest 335 out there, the Hoosier A6, it makes the 335 RA1 look narrow.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Not only I run 335 on a narrow body 996 (narrower than the 997), I run the widest 335 out there, the Hoosier A6, it makes the 335 RA1 look narrow.
What's on the front?
I'd like to run a custom wheel and slicks on the GT3.
That would remove some of the guesswork and let me focus on the necessary suspension changes ... assuming there's a viable solution to the rear brake heat problem ... :|
Old 02-12-2007, 02:14 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What's on the front?
I'd like to run a custom wheel and slicks on the GT3.
That would remove some of the guesswork and let me focus on the necessary suspension changes ... assuming there's a viable solution to the rear brake heat problem ... :|
At the front, 10" wide with 285/30R18 Hoosier. The steering feedback on the low profile tires is razor sharp, and the timer doesn't lie, grip under braking has improved.

Why don't you try running a brake pad with more grip at the front?, something like RS14. It might be a while before you get a fix from Porsche, being that the problem is present at the track and not during street driving.

On the 996 version, the bias is not adjustable, and I think the 997 is the same way.

Those new rear brake cooling ducts were not in the 996 GT3, so that indicates that Porsche found cooling issues with the 997 GT3, otherwise they would not be there.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
At the front, 10" wide with 285/30R18 Hoosier. The steering feedback on the low profile tires is razor sharp, and the timer doesn't lie, grip under braking has improved.

Why don't you try running a brake pad with more grip at the front?, something like RS14. It might be a while before you get a fix from Porsche, being that the problem is present at the track and not during street driving.

On the 996 version, the bias is not adjustable, and I think the 997 is the same way.

Those new rear brake cooling ducts were not in the 996 GT3, so that indicates that Porsche found cooling issues with the 997 GT3, otherwise they would not be there.
285 Hooters on the front of a 996? That must be interesting. I've seen that on a 993 Turbo. You might say "ample."

As for the 997 GT3 PCCBs, it's already stopping harder than any car I've driven at Laguna, so I don't want to touch the fronts, which are working very nicely, even though the pads are suffering a little, the rotors look unused, the temps are around 250degF, so the issue is entirely focused on the rears.

There's no bias "adjustment." It could be changed, but it's not as simple as a valve change given ABS etc. I expect to see a solution come out of a coole pad and better cooling. If there's a problem as such, I expect it is in the ABS system, which I'm having serviced and flushed with SRF. I'm not interested in finishing the job for Porsche, but if this car is just a problem example, I'll try to get it fixed. I've seen very few 997 GT3's tracking hard, so there's not a lot of data as yet.

I have some Cup deflectors coming -- those, along with some ideas to increase air flow to the rears should bring down temps. If I can get it from 480-500 to say 350 with minor tweaks, I'll persevere and get the rears down to the same behaviour as the front. Of course, I want some heat in the rears.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 315's?