Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Vs Audi R8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:49 PM
CCRider
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Vs Audi R8?

Until yesterday, I was convinced that a 2008 997 GT3 was the only new car for me. Now, in Autoweek, I see and read the "glowing" report of a "first drive" in this new Audi.

So now it appears, I may have to choose! I currently own a Z06 (C5) which is not a daily driver, and which is not tracked (none local). I would greatly appreciate any input relative to assisting me in choosing. If the Audi was RWD and weighed around 3,000 pounds, I think it would get the nod. My dealer, who sells both marques, says he believes the two cars will be "similiarly" priced.

Your input will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Curtis
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

The Audi is about 3,400-3,500 pounds as I recall, just a couple hundred pounds less than the S4 (with which it shares the 420 HP motor)...I bet the GT3 is faster. Looks, of course, are in the eye of the beholder.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 PM
frayed
Race Car

Definitely recommned the R8. Power, torque, exclusivity, fit and finish. Superior interior. Definitely the R8. Bonus, you get the surefootedness of AWD. 4>2.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:26 PM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the R8 at the Detroit Auto Show last month, and it is a stunner! However, it's heavier and marginally slower than a GT3. I position this car somewhere between the BMW M6 and the GT3 - more an executive express, less a purist sporting machine. Too, it'll be totally, utterly new when it hits the market. I'd go with the proven GT3 (I did) and let someone else do the post-production development work that all new designs, save Toyotas, seem to require.

I do admit that a couple of years down the road when the car has made a track record for itself, I may feel differently. By then, it may have inherited the Gallardo's V10.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

The R8 will compete very directly with a C4S Powerkit car in terms of price, weight, and performance. The R8 will offer more exclusivity and is more striking, but Audi resale is still dismal...I don't see that changing with the R8.

Definitely not an alternative to the GT3, IMO.

I'm a former S4 Avant owner, and personally I don't like the R8's styling...the wheelbase is too long, the wheels too small, and the cabin too high for a real exotic look. And I have no desire for AWD or the aforementioned depreciation...been there, done that.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:57 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it will take significant casualties from porsche in the c4s/cs/targa camps. Gt3 is a different beast.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R8 looks like a squashed bug, IMHO.

No way it can compete with the GT3 in terms of character, performance, and sportscar heritage.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

my two cents.
if i can only have one of the two, i would take GT3 over R8.
if i can have two cars, i would buy two GT3's.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

In the right hands, the R8 is capable of travelling very quickly indeed.

However, Martin Winterkorn, new CEO of VW, former boss of Audi, did describe the car at its launch as 'the car for our wives'.

In my experience, the depreciation on special Audis makes Ferraris look like bargains.

R+C
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with above, R8 is not in the same class as GT3, it's more like a C2S or C4S w/tiptronics It does use the same motor as RS4 but in the R8, it's dry sump. I do not believe it's dry sump in the RS4. That said, I do like it a lot and I have read a lot about it. The Gallardo V10 will be available approx a year after launch. I assume dealer markup will be huge (think $20k~$30k) because in order for an audi dealership to sell R8, they have to participate $100k upfront to Audi for special tools in the service dept and some special displays in the sales dept. And since this car will be very limited, it would only make sense for dealers to mark it up like crazy!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:18 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CCRider
Until yesterday, I was convinced that a 2008 997 GT3 was the only new car for me. Now, in Autoweek, I see and read the "glowing" report of a "first drive" in this new Audi.

So now it appears, I may have to choose! I currently own a Z06 (C5) which is not a daily driver, and which is not tracked (none local). I would greatly appreciate any input relative to assisting me in choosing. If the Audi was RWD and weighed around 3,000 pounds, I think it would get the nod. My dealer, who sells both marques, says he believes the two cars will be "similiarly" priced.

Curtis
If you are going to choose an R8 you better do so quickly. I was at the dealer a few weeks back looking at the Q7 for my wife. He said less that 100 cars for 2007 for the entire USA - then 500-850 for 2008, pending production capacity and demand.

I would personally get the GT3, a proven commodity, and let someone else break in the new car, besides it will be trumped in 2008 (late) with a V10 version and then a super diesel version, more dollars, but what's another 20% when spending $100K on a car.

Good luck, R8 will have the new and cool factor for sure and if you get one early and sell within a year you will do fine.

JCM
Old 02-09-2007, 04:32 AM
PSC
Instructor

The R8 is a numbers cars, toned down to appeal to a broad range of owners. It will be too refined (ie characterless) versus GT3.

Over last month I've driven, 599, 430 (fixed head and spyder), Gallardo Spyder, Aston Vanquish S and DB9. The only car that gets close to my GT3 RS is the 430.

The Gallardo was big disappointment, it feels heavy/ponderous compared to lithe, adjustable GT3 and its engine is not remotely as musical.

I can see R8 stealing sales from regular 997 but suspect the new M3 will steal more.

IMO Porsche should be more worried about the M3.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:01 AM
prosper
Instructor

Imagine, you have a family member/relatives or friends or kids or even ex wifes call you on the phone and ask a question,
what do you drive now?
Then you told them I drive an Audi,

and compare their response if you told them

I drive a Porsche

Porsche "There is No Substitute"
Old 02-09-2007, 06:06 AM
prosper
Instructor

Beside the GT3 is faster anyway,
not to mention if the R8 later not selling very well like Phaeton,
then Audi will stop producing the next generation and it will be like
an Orphan car. (hard to find spare parts/Body parts or service later)Which lead to higher cost of maintenance.
Higher End Sports Car is not Audi speciality,
Building Higher End Sports Car is Porsche Bread and Butter.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

I havn't seen an R8 in the flesh but from the images I've seen I find the design just too busy for my liking... just the opposite to the GT3.

There are just too many variables for the R8 that are unproven... design,drive,residuals,reliability,etc. For me at the moment they would not make the R8 a viable proposition.

Therefore, until the lambo engined R8 turns up for me it would def be the GT3.

Quick Reply: GT3 Vs Audi R8?