Black GT3 w/red wheels....??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:09 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black GT3 w/red wheels....??

Hi all,

I've basically got a fairly pleasant problem to deal with, so I thought I'd ask...I've been lucky enough to latch onto a new 997 GT3 (at MSRP from Napleton Porsche outside Chicago - great guys to work with!!) that someone ordered and then dropped out on. The car is built and probably getting on a boat as we type this. The only, uh.....problem.... I'm having with the car is that it's a black car but ordered with Guards Red wheels (the dealer was also planning on adding a GT3 decal in red on the sides, basically the same as the GT3 RS decal, minus the RS). They also ordered red gauges, seat belts, and stitching for the interior. I'm totally o.k. with the decal and interior pieces, but my initial reaction to the wheels was pretty much: . Obviously I'm going to wait to see the car in person before I decide anything, but if I don't like the red wheels, I figure I can always trade them or get them painted.

Just wondering if anyone has seen (or even better, has pictures of??) a black 997 (GT3 or not) with Guards Red wheels? What's everyone's gut reaction to the combination (more to the point, if you were buying a used GT3 at some point in the future, would the red wheels affect your decision at all)? I have to admit, I've been looking at the black RS with orange wheels, and it's growing on me a little bit....but *just* a little bit!!

Thanks!!

Collin

Last edited by cobrien; 02-04-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Hey Jim,

No worries, the thread won't get me down....no matter what, I need to decide for myself once the car shows up. And no big deal to get the wheels painted if I need to.

I think you're pretty safe with you green car, orange wheels, yellow flames, and purple spoiler. So feel free to tell everyone about it!!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:57 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collin,

As long as you like it, our opinion doesn't count much. But since you are asking, I think that the real problem are not the wheels (easy to change if you don't like them) but the red gauges. I don't know if those are easy to change, but they are definitely very, very special...plus I read in another thread that they are not very legible.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:01 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fer2367
Collin,

As long as you like it, our opinion doesn't count much. But since you are asking, I think that the real problem are not the wheels (easy to change if you don't like them) but the red gauges. I don't know if those are easy to change, but they are definitely very, very special...plus I read in another thread that they are not very legible.
Thanks for the comments. Agreed, it's all my choice...just curious what the rest of the world thinks. Plus in a practical sense it helps me think about future trade-in value if I do decide to paint the wheels.

Strangely, I really like the red gauges. I've heard they're hard to read also, and a lot of people don't like them, but if I was ordering the car I would have gone that route anyway...
Old 02-04-2007, 04:22 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

It will look nice and it will be unique.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:31 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a white one with red wheels. BTW if you want to sell the wheels cheap, I could always use another set for the track
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a white one and need a set of track wheels.

ps. I can't think of a colour where red wheels wouldn't look, let's say, "distinctive" but even on white (probably the worst contrast) it still seems to look okay. People with that lime green on their RS should not be looking for red wheels ...
Old 02-04-2007, 08:50 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Forget the graphic

Keep the wheels
Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Those red wheels will be an attention getter, that's for sure. Are you ready for that?

In the meantime, can you please post some large pics of your black Carrera? I'm thinking of black wheels for my GT3 and am thinking of having the stock rims painted if I can't find a second set to buy. I'm mulling over having a silver rim too or whether the entire rim should be black.

Hmmmmm........
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,571 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Where is ICON. He has every picture combination known to mankind. I'm sure if he doesn't have that color combo, he can make one up.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:25 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Those red wheels will be an attention getter, that's for sure. Are you ready for that?

In the meantime, can you please post some large pics of your black Carrera? I'm thinking of black wheels for my GT3 and am thinking of having the stock rims painted if I can't find a second set to buy. I'm mulling over having a silver rim too or whether the entire rim should be black.

Hmmmmm........
Hey Allan,

Here's the best side picture I can find. I've got a bunch of others, but apparently I filed them someplace else. I need to dig around a bit. Note that obviously the wheels on my S are different than the GT3 wheels, but hopefully it gives you an idea. They are 19"s all the way around, so they're at least the same size as the GT3 wheels. Personally I'd vote for leaving that outer lip silver on a black car just to break up all that black....

Collin

Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks Collin, I really appreciate the pic. I've got some thinking to do! Here's a pic of my car in a similar pose as yours. You can probably see why I'm thinking of doing something with the wheels.

Back to these red wheels though, those are going to stand out from a mile away. Not that it's a bad thing, but if I saw a car like that on the road, GT3 or not, I'd be staring at it. So will a lot of other people. Is that OK with you?
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Thanks Collin, I really appreciate the pic. I've got some thinking to do! Here's a pic of my car in a similar pose as yours. You can probably see why I'm thinking of doing something with the wheels.

Back to these red wheels though, those are going to stand out from a mile away. Not that it's a bad thing, but if I saw a car like that on the road, GT3 or not, I'd be staring at it. So will a lot of other people. Is that OK with you?
Hey Allan, actually, I'm so used to looking at my car with black wheels that your car looks awesome to me!! Not that I'm complaining about my car; I think black wheels look great on a black car, I've just gotten used to always seeing it that way.

As for the red wheels, I don't particularly care whether the car gets attention or not. The car is for me, not for anyone else. If people want to look at it, that's fine (how can you not if it's got red wheels!!?? ). If they ignore it, that's fine, too! My problem is that I'm just not sure I'm going to like the look of the wheels....I'll just have to see what happens. At this point I'm thinking they're going to get painted, but you never know!

Good luck,
Collin
Old 02-05-2007, 02:59 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cobrien
Hi all,

I've basically got a fairly pleasant problem to deal with, so I thought I'd ask...I've been lucky enough to latch onto a new 997 GT3 (at MSRP from Napleton Porsche outside Chicago - great guys to work with!!) that someone ordered and then dropped out on. The car is built and probably getting on a boat as we type this. The only, uh.....problem.... I'm having with the car is that it's a black car but ordered with Guards Red wheels (the dealer was also planning on adding a GT3 decal in red on the sides, basically the same as the GT3 RS decal, minus the RS). They also ordered red gauges, seat belts, and stitching for the interior. I'm totally o.k. with the decal and interior pieces, but my initial reaction to the wheels was pretty much: . Obviously I'm going to wait to see the car in person before I decide anything, but if I don't like the red wheels, I figure I can always trade them or get them painted.

Just wondering if anyone has seen (or even better, has pictures of??) a black 997 (GT3 or not) with Guards Red wheels? What's everyone's gut reaction to the combination (more to the point, if you were buying a used GT3 at some point in the future, would the red wheels affect your decision at all)? I have to admit, I've been looking at the black RS with orange wheels, and it's growing on me a little bit....but *just* a little bit!!

Thanks!!

Collin
Were you at Napleton on this past Saturday afternoon?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Yep!! I take it you were there as well??

Quick Reply: Black GT3 w/red wheels....??