Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dyno'd the RS today

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007 | 01:37 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
yeah there were 3.

The quiet one on the website, a loud version, and an xtra loud version, which is the best sounding exhaust available for the GT3, hands down.
I wish I had known that. I just replaced my exhaust with the quiet Europipe. I would have gone to the loud version had I known beforehand.
Old 02-05-2007 | 02:37 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

I just sold my GT3 and I am now selling the Xloud exhaust that was on it. (I put the stock exhaust back on my car before I sold it_

I aslo have a pair of GT3 seats if anyone is interested.
Old 02-05-2007 | 04:50 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Nordschleife
The idea that "what do Revo engineers know that all the engineers at Weissach and Zuffenhausen don't know?" is way off the mark, however a common misconception. Its not that Revo engineers know anymore (or as much) as the guys at Weissach. Its that Revo engineers know how to extract extra HP that Porsche purposely (for two reasons; I believe) leaves on the table.

1) I have read MANY times that timing, etc must take into account the absolute worst case scenario as to the worst possible gas that may be used in any country that the car will be sold in.

2) And I've been trying to get people to realize this for years! Do you ever wonder why every year, Porsche manages to squeeze out an additional 10-15Hp out of a model? It's really simple, and should be apparent. Quoting a recent article in The Robb Report "Ruf maintains a steady business thanks to Porsche's "model policy" of incrementally improving a car's performance from one year to the next". There's no other way to explain why each and every year, on each and every model, they raise the Hp from 10-15Hp over the previous year.

To me, it's kind of like batteries. Does anyone really believe that every year or so they come up with a "new and improved" way to make a Duracell lasts longer! They same damn alkaline battery inside that it always has been. It's marketing! Which brings up another point (not to be crude, but I think it's a good example). Take one of the absolute, most simplistic items I can think of; a tampon. They expect women to believe that every 4 to 6 months they've come up with some new and revolutionary way to improve it! Well they've got me on that one. Give me a string and a piece of cotton and I'm afraid my ideas are extremely limited.
Old 02-05-2007 | 05:04 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by e6tme

But two points- 1) Porsche tests a sample of their engines not every single engine they build
Each engine is assembled for a particular car

Every engine that is assembled is put on the dyno.

The dyno results are then part of the cars dossier.

Old 02-05-2007 | 05:16 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by e6tme
I agree that quoting anything other than wheel horsepower off a chassis dyno is pointless.
to go through some of your points, the way the dyno is 'driven' can have a profound effect on the calculated bhp figure.

However, you are wrong about fuel, fuel in the US, and what Hans and Klaus have left for the legitimate tuner to exploit.

Take the Tesco 99 that Glenn refers to. The "99" reflects that fuel's research octane number (RON). Compute with the motor octane number (MON) of 87, (RON+MON/2) and you get a 93 AKI (anti-knock index) which is how all fuels in the US are classified. Generally, 93AKI fuel can be readily found throughout the US, (except for CA where they have to deal with 91AKI) Therefore, the 93 AKI fuel in the states is better than the typical 95 and 98 RON fuels available in Europe.
there is more tzo fuel than octane, 25 per cent of Porsches used to be sold in California, you cannot ignore that market. I am told by Audi that the engine in the RS4 is not able to make proper use of all of its 'smart' features in the US, because overall, the fuel is poor quality.

Additionally, you may have a point with regard to Porsche's testing engines and sending those back which fall either above or below 5% of the advertised horsepower.

But two points- 1) Porsche tests a sample of their engines not every single engine they build 2) The engines are engineered and tested on a base fuel likely to be readily available in all markets the car is sold- typically 95RON/91AKI. Furthermore, they have to comply with various emissions rules etc and obviously the factory tune will be somewhat conservative so the engine will maintain a modicum of economy and reliability.

So there is indeed something "left on the table" by Porsche. All engines will have some degree of variance, and extracting that last 5, 10, 20 or whatever bhp by tuning the engine for only the highest quality fuel is certainly possible and is routinely done.
Are you CERTAIN Porsche dont 100 percent test their erngines?

Qualita cars in Europe expect to receive 98 RON at all times.

When I have my engine tuned by decent engineeers, I get better fuel economy, lower emissions and improved fuel economy, interestingly.

R+C
Old 02-05-2007 | 06:42 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
there is more tzo fuel than octane, 25 per cent of Porsches used to be sold in California, you cannot ignore that market. I am told by Audi that the engine in the RS4 is not able to make proper use of all of its 'smart' features in the US, because overall, the fuel is poor quality.
Exactly my point- It is a fact that CA has the worst fuel in the country- maybe this is why, for example, your source at Audi mentions that the US has poor fuel quality. They need to calibrate all US spec engines to the "best of the worst" that is available, e.g. CA spec 91 AKI.

I agree all fuel is not created equal, see http://www.toptiergas.com/ for more info.

Are you CERTAIN Porsche dont 100 percent test their erngines?
The last time I took a factory tour (2 years ago) they mentioned dyno testing, and I was told "a sample" but not given a specific ratio. This was in reference to all GT1 block engines.

When I have my engine tuned by decent engineeers, I get better fuel economy, lower emissions and improved fuel economy, interestingly.

R+C
Agreed, but other things to take into consideration are partial throttle operation, overrun enrichment, etc. Anyway, I think we are in agreement that a good engineer will typically maximise whatever variables they have to work with. When certain facilities are put into the ecu coding that effectively limit power for whatever reason (GM's torque management algorithm in the new Z06 and some of the crazy throttle limitations on turbocharged Subarus are just two examples) there can be some very real improvements in power output. The age of "drive by wire" throttles has made this even more prevelant in the past few years.
Old 02-06-2007 | 11:37 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

An important consideration:

Does ECU/PSM tuning have any effect on your Warranty ?
Old 02-06-2007 | 12:00 PM
JFT
Instructor

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
An important consideration:

Does ECU/PSM tuning have any effect on your Warranty ?
Yes. If detected by Porsche the warranty is void.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd the RS today