Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dyno'd the RS today

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007 | 10:31 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think we can bring a bunch of 996 GT3, 997 GT3 and hopefully a few 997 GT3 RS to AWE Tuning this Spring. Same dyno, same day, same conditions, so we can see actual difference on power to the wheels.
Old 02-03-2007 | 10:34 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GlennMc
I organised a RR day today here in UK.

it was done on a Dyno Dynamics RR, which is used for reference by EVO magazine for testing manufacturers power claims.

aswell as many other cars, there were 2x 997RS's there.

Mine had a Revo map in it, and showed 445BHP

The other RS showed 435 BHP

G.
Hey Glenn, did they test the regular 997 GT3? what other Porsches were tested? It would be interesting to compare the RS output against the other Porsches.

I wonder if Porsche pulled another of its tricks with the new RS. We know the 996 GT3 RS came stronger than the 996 GT3.
Old 02-04-2007 | 01:09 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by GlennMc
I believe the figures for the reasons below:

1. The remap is disigned to advance the timing, and allow for the use of better fuel over here such as 99RON and above.

2. Porsche have always under estimated their power figures

3. i have seen many other cars run on the same dyno over time, and it certainly does not read over as a matter of course.
there were other P cars there today that never made there expected figures, as well as Fezzas and BMW's.....

Bottom line, it's just a figure, and whether doesn't matter whether you belive it or not, but the fact that is higher than my out going car, at least shows me that the engine has moved on at least.

G.
Better fuel in the UK than where - Mongolia - don't make me laugh! Poissibly better than the US, I agree.

You misunderstand the rules that Porsche lives by - the compamy takes great pains to sell cars with the advertised horsepower. Engines which are too powerful are sent back for remediation, the same way underpowered engines are. German laws concerning Sale of Goods are strict in this area. It you were talking about a Skyline R, I'd agree, the Japanese had a good laugh there.

Fazzas consistently fail to make their advertised horsepower, and are frequently heavier than specification. As far as over and under reading is concerned, a lot depends on how the dyno is driven. A 'good' operator can get better than expected results.

From time to time I work with car magazines, I also used to read my children fairy stories, 'nuff said.

Like most people who have been around cars for some time, I feel the strength of the chassis dyno lies in the way you can very quickly tell if a modification has made the engine better or not. Its great for advertising deltas, in the right hands.

Purely as an aside, I know of a tuner who fits slicks to the car before putting it on the dyno, he finds it worthwhile.

R+C
Old 02-04-2007 | 01:13 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by trumperZ06

Katech has tested over 70 Z06 LS7 engines on their "engine dyno" and Katech reports that ALL the engines tested were within the SAE... 505 engine hp. specification.

Katech is the engine builder for the Corvette Factory team running in the ALMS and at LeMans. Their equipment is "Lab Grade" and as such... can be trusted.

We have seen after market tuners reporting rwhp. values on "Stock" LS7 engines... varying from as low as 410 hp.

to high's of ~ 470 rwhp., a much wider spread than expected.

Oh, the shop that "reported" the extraordinary low 410 rwhp. rating before tuning & adding long tube headers, saw ~ 490 rwhp. after their shop modifications !!!

why am I not surprised.

A very respected tuner here in Germany took a car which had been tuned by a new entrant. Together with a printout of a dyno run. Tested on their own equipment, they discovered that the car made less hp than it did stock.......

R+C
Old 02-04-2007 | 02:47 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Fazzas consistently fail to make their advertised horsepower, and are frequently heavier than specification.
R+C
where do you get this stuff from?
fazzas? assume ferrari but don't get why?
Old 02-04-2007 | 03:33 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
where do you get this stuff from?
fazzas? assume ferrari but don't get why?
Yes, that's Ferrari - just a nickname like Bimmer for BMW...
Old 02-04-2007 | 06:59 AM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Hey Glenn, did they test the regular 997 GT3? what other Porsches were tested? It would be interesting to compare the RS output against the other Porsches.

I wonder if Porsche pulled another of its tricks with the new RS. We know the 996 GT3 RS came stronger than the 996 GT3.

The Stock GT3 turned up late, and he didn't have enough time to hang around for a run.....

He's going back on Monday though, and i have asked for his figures asap, and will post up accordingly.

G.
Old 02-04-2007 | 08:04 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The one thing the the dyno doesn't show or add into is what gains are to be had from the "Ram Air" intake effect from the engine cover.

Noody has a Rolling chassis dyno in a wind tunnel.

How can one properly "tune", not knowing the effect of positive pressure at a given speed???
Old 02-04-2007 | 04:57 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Nordschleife]
Originally Posted by trumperZ06

OK, then lets apply a real world correction to the dyno - the other RS, given that it has no modifications WILL HAVE as near as dammit, at this stage, 415 bhp, so yours with the Revo chip probably has - 415/435*445 = 425.

Consider this - what do Revo engineers know that all the engineers at Weissach and Zuffenhausen don't know? Can't you just see Hans and Klaus sitting around after work, weißbier in hand, gargling the suds and say 'Ja, Ja, lets leave a spare 30 horse power in the engine so all the tuning companies can have it sweet!'?

I think NOT!

R+C
isnt the idea behind chip tuning that the oem has to consider mileage, emissions, octane, tractability, etc where as the tuner only cares about hp. its not that porsche leaves hp behind its that they consider other attributes the tuner looses in quest for hp. to each his own
Old 02-05-2007 | 11:49 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Glenn,

IS there anyone over there making an exhaust for the RS? I had an Xloud Europipe on my GT3 that sounded incredible. I know you had Manthey's 410 kit on your old one. Do you know if Manthey is doing anything else as far as louder exhaust for the RS?

I will be removing my exhaust valve/switch when I get my Rs but it still wont be loud enouhg for me.

Thanks,

R
Old 02-05-2007 | 12:17 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I think we can bring a bunch of 996 GT3, 997 GT3 and hopefully a few 997 GT3 RS to AWE Tuning this Spring. Same dyno, same day, same conditions, so we can see actual difference on power to the wheels.

Did someone say Dyno Day?

Let's do it.
Old 02-05-2007 | 12:29 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

I'd try to bring mine up to AWE for a dyno day if my schedule permits.

RR: Is there more than one version of the Europipe for the 996 GT3?
Old 02-05-2007 | 12:41 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Better fuel in the UK than where - Mongolia - don't make me laugh! Poissibly better than the US, I agree.

You misunderstand the rules that Porsche lives by - the compamy takes great pains to sell cars with the advertised horsepower. Engines which are too powerful are sent back for remediation, the same way underpowered engines are. German laws concerning Sale of Goods are strict in this area. It you were talking about a Skyline R, I'd agree, the Japanese had a good laugh there.

Fazzas consistently fail to make their advertised horsepower, and are frequently heavier than specification. As far as over and under reading is concerned, a lot depends on how the dyno is driven. A 'good' operator can get better than expected results.
R+C
I agree that quoting anything other than wheel horsepower off a chassis dyno is pointless.

I also agree that there is a lot of BS when it comes to claims of power gains and many tuners are nothing more than snakeoil salesmen.

However, you are wrong about fuel, fuel in the US, and what Hans and Klaus have left for the legitimate tuner to exploit.

Take the Tesco 99 that Glenn refers to. The "99" reflects that fuel's research octane number (RON). Compute with the motor octane number (MON) of 87, (RON+MON/2) and you get a 93 AKI (anti-knock index) which is how all fuels in the US are classified. Generally, 93AKI fuel can be readily found throughout the US, (except for CA where they have to deal with 91AKI) Therefore, the 93 AKI fuel in the states is better than the typical 95 and 98 RON fuels available in Europe.

Additionally, you may have a point with regard to Porsche's testing engines and sending those back which fall either above or below 5% of the advertised horsepower.

But two points- 1) Porsche tests a sample of their engines not every single engine they build 2) The engines are engineered and tested on a base fuel likely to be readily available in all markets the car is sold- typically 95RON/91AKI. Furthermore, they have to comply with various emissions rules etc and obviously the factory tune will be somewhat conservative so the engine will maintain a modicum of economy and reliability.

So there is indeed something "left on the table" by Porsche. All engines will have some degree of variance, and extracting that last 5, 10, 20 or whatever bhp by tuning the engine for only the highest quality fuel is certainly possible and is routinely done.
Old 02-05-2007 | 12:47 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

yeah there were 3.

The quiet one on the website, a loud version, and an xtra loud version, which is the best sounding exhaust available for the GT3, hands down.
Old 02-05-2007 | 01:11 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by RR
Glenn,

IS there anyone over there making an exhaust for the RS? I had an Xloud Europipe on my GT3 that sounded incredible. I know you had Manthey's 410 kit on your old one. Do you know if Manthey is doing anything else as far as louder exhaust for the RS?

I will be removing my exhaust valve/switch when I get my Rs but it still wont be loud enouhg for me.

Thanks,

R

I will probably stick with the standard exhaust for the time being..as it's loud enough, and sounds a lot better than the stock MKII did IMO.

Manthey are working on upgrades as we speak, and i suppose their lure will be hard to resist once released... The biggest improvement from the Manthey kit is the extra torque, this was shown this weekend, as the Manthey engines were almost matching my RS for headline torque figures, i assume this is due to the lesser restriction of airflow from the header/cats/exhaust ??

I don't know of anyone else working on aftermarket exhaust as of yet though.

G.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd the RS today