997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Excellence Magazine's Review of 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's kind of comical that so many whine about C/D but swoon about Excellence as if Excellence is an impartial source.

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 02-01-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- This article was a very good read.

- I was happy to read that what I pointed out 5 weeks ago in one of my first posts has been reported on by others - I reported that a highspeed mid corner bump very much "unsettled" the car on the stock allignment.

- I recently posted that I had the dealer "try" to bring the car to the "track" specs, they failed and could not get enough front camber (-1.7 vs the -2.x spec'd - they did get the rear specs - yes I know others have been able to get the track specs) - anyways, I can happily report that the car feels "way" better / planted than before.

That said, and as I reported before that I'm comparing this suspension to my 2001 S4 that has an aftermarket Ohlin suspension from Stassis Engineering, now that I know there is a way to disable PASM - thx Mike at AWE Tuning, I would immediately buy a tripple adjustable Ohlin setup for the car in a second if "someone", like Stasis, would go to the effort of testing the best spring / dampening combo for the car because when I first got the Ohlins installed on the car and tested out the Ohlins it was this highspeed bump that the Ohlins just absolutely ate up and kept the car so settled that makes them worth every penny.

Again, I would like to say that my mostly track settings are "way" better at giving the driver confidence on "bumps" that my stock setting, which I posted was within specs, was able to do.

Finally, the more I drive the GT3, the more I fall in love with the PCCBs and the chassis - the chassis is really amazing versus older cars.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt the high zoot shocks offer better control. I think it would be fun to defang PASM and had some good dampers as a future upgrade. I know you like the Ohlins, but the Motons and JRZs are quite similar and already well sorted for the 996 GT3, which should translate over to the 997 chassis.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
It's obvious that the 997 GT3 is a little "soft" compared to the 996 GT3. The mere thought of the sunroof, TC, PASM confirms this. A Porsche magazines view is not overwhelmingly spectacular either. Each successive Porsche gets faster than the previous version anyway. Even the 997 GT3RS is a softer version compared to 996 GT3RS. The 997 GT3 is merely the best drivers car in Porsche's current lineup. The 996 GT3 will be the classic, first water cooled race derived street flat 6, no sunroof, no traction control, no navigation system, no gimmicks.
+1
Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Great info from all. Anyone know if the set-up on the GT3 RS is exactly the same as that on the standard GT3? I seem to recall that the PASM step up on the RS was further reduced, so as to be less noticeable, but I might be mistaken. In other words, wondering if the same issues noticed by Excellence and others (with PASM) will be present with the RS.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, it's a continuum (that looks all wrong as typed but it's not.) Compared to a Lotus Elise or a Noble, the 996 GT3 is pretty fat and luxurious. It is not the "classic race-derived" anything, but it is a damned good compromise. The 997 GT3 looks like it will hit the same mark, plus or minus a little. I'm really looking forward to having mine delivered although the review did trouble me about the PASM issue. We'll have to see about the TC - I think that a RWD car with that much HP may just need it, as the C-GT certainly does.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
Compared to a Lotus Elise or a Noble, the 996 GT3 is pretty fat and luxurious. It is not the "classic race-derived" anything, <snip>
Check the PET (Porsche parts documentation) for the list of parts shared and different between the street GT3, the Cup and the RSR -- the GT3 is a homologation car and it is the epitome of a race bred street car.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Check out a similar post on Rennteam: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...&page=0#315757 -- the author of the Excellence article, Pete Stout, has followed up on his criticism of the GT3. Very interesting.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry L
<snip>We'll have to see about the TC - I think that a RWD car with that much HP may just need it, as the C-GT certainly does.
The Carrera GT is even less forgiving of fools, but get in the 996 GT3 Mk I or Mk II or the 997 GT3 (should we call it the Mk III? I think so) and try to drive it with TC off. Put a wheel on the paint as your track out of a turn or put a wheel on wet grass, or just slow down in 2nd gear and try to make a U-turn quickly without concern for ending up in the gutter. 400hp used to be Turbo territory and if you experience 2nd gear from 6000rpm to the rev-limiter somewhere just over 8400rpm, it happens with the same immediacy (if not the same torque.)

Traction Control was my project yesterday at Laguna. Given stringent sound checks, there wasn't much to be had in the way of lap times, so I played with apex speeds and brake temperatures. (More on PCCB brake temps later.)

What I noticed yesterday was shifting at 8400rpm instead of 7400rpm added over 10mph going under the bridge at Laguna down the front straight. I was assuming the 110mph range was going to be about it (it's up-hill and I assumed would benefit from mostly torque) but unleashing the extra neddies made a lot of difference.

I haven't had the nerve to carry that speed through the gear shift and continue acceleration on and over the crest at T1 in 4th -- I imagine that would have the car over 130mph, which again, a 911 unweighted at 130mph? yeah, I'd be happy to have TC turned on. : )
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The Carrera GT is even less forgiving of fools, but get in the 996 GT3 Mk I or Mk II or the 997 GT3 (should we call it the Mk III? I think so) and try to drive it with TC off. Put a wheel on the paint as your track out of a turn or put a wheel on wet grass, or just slow down in 2nd gear and try to make a U-turn quickly without concern for ending up in the gutter. 400hp used to be Turbo territory and if you experience 2nd gear from 6000rpm to the rev-limiter somewhere just over 8400rpm, it happens with the same immediacy (if not the same torque.)

Traction Control was my project yesterday at Laguna. Given stringent sound checks, there wasn't much to be had in the way of lap times, so I played with apex speeds and brake temperatures. (More on PCCB brake temps later.)

What I noticed yesterday was shifting at 8400rpm instead of 7400rpm added over 10mph going under the bridge at Laguna down the front straight. I was assuming the 110mph range was going to be about it (it's up-hill and I assumed would benefit from mostly torque) but unleashing the extra neddies made a lot of difference.

I haven't had the nerve to carry that speed through the gear shift and continue acceleration on and over the crest at T1 in 4th -- I imagine that would have the car over 130mph, which again, a 911 unweighted at 130mph? yeah, I'd be happy to have TC turned on. : )
You are an inspiration!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:48 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

Adam, you are wearing Laguna out man! You must have the most 997 GT3 track time in the U.S. by now

Thanks for the spin around Laguna last week. It was difficult to tell from the passenger seat but I didn't detect this from the article - Get past seven-tenths and it’s the rear end you’ll be thinking about in this GT3. As you feed in throttle, the new car’s tail fidgets on the way out of turns more readily than the 996 GT3’s did. - comment on that? Although the 996 GT3 certainly calms down under load at the track (vs. street), I can't imagine the 997 being more "fidgety". Felt rock solid on exit to me but as I said hard to tell for the passenger... or maybe you were only at six-tenths
Old 02-02-2007, 02:13 AM
RS 197
Pro

Nice article.

I think the whole PSMA thing is a way to justify there first review of the car. They did not like PSMA from the begining. they called the new GT3 "High Tech" if I remember right???
I have not driven my car on the track yet, but from the hard street driving I have done I do not agree that the PSMA is inconsistant. It is very suttle and seems to help settle the car, from my experience??? Compared to my other cars I think it makes the car feel more consistaint?? Maybe I will have to wait and see how it feels on the track vs. the cup car....
The comparison to Jeff Gordon and NASCAR was out to lunch. Factory Race car, pro driver on slicks?? give me a break. Why would he add that??? get a Cup car out there and let Gordon drive them both and then you can comment...

I guess you have to keep in mind that a proffesional writer is programed to create a little controversy to help justify his exsistance. If he had nothing but good things to say, what would he have to write about. He bails himself out by bring up the tire pressure and set up issues, just in case anyone does not agree with him. Typical writer, but an enjoyable read.

Last edited by RS 197; 02-02-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great article, the best I've read about the new car. The time difference in a 1:24 course lap translates to my estimate of 0.3-0.5 secs faster laps on a 60 secs course assuming same tires and good drivers.

The statement about the 2-4 secs difference between cars at Infineon is pretty loose and unsupported. With such difference, the Ring times could be apart by 10-20 secs with both cars running MPSC, and 17-27 secs comparing the times to the stock 996 GT3 on MPS2.

I wonder if the 997 GT3 was weighed with a full tank? That 3,218 lbs weight looks pretty low compared to the two recently weighed 997 GT3. I think the car didn't have a full tank.

The 3,080 lbs 996 GT3 with a full tank and no rear carpet and no passenger seats translates to 3,176 lbs with both stock power seats and all the carpeting. Estimating the weight with a 1/8th of a gas tank fuel load (to compare against my stock 996 GT3), the car would be at 3,086 lbs, so I suspect the 996 GT3 didn't have the 9.5 lbs toolkit, neither the full leather option.

The way I feel about the article is that good news are coming with the GT3 RS being lighter and better planted than the 997 GT3. It can be made stiffer with the factory rollbar. The RS will definitely be a decent upgrade from a stock 996 GT3 (at almost twice the price).

PASM will never be the best choice for the track. They're are reactive to the current road underneath the tires, instead of pro-active. They can't predict the surface ahead, so on a non-perfect flat racetrack, they would be a handicap. They are controlled by a computer program, the more body roll detected by sensors, the stiffer the compression, as a result the rear end could get twitchy at the limits as described by the Article. The chassis geometry on the 997 GT3 has been improved, the PASM is a let down for track use, but that's an easy and affordable fix.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS 197
Nice article.

I think the whole PSMA thing is a way to justify there first review of the car. They did not like PSMA from the begining. they called the new GT3 "High Tech" if I remember right???
I have not driven my car on the track yet, but from the hard street driving I have done I do not agree that the PSMA is inconsistant. It is very suttle and seems to help settle the car, from my experience??? Compared to my other cars I think it makes the car feel more consistaint?? Maybe I will have to wait and see how it feels on the track vs the cup car....
The comparison to Jeff Gordon and NASCAR was out to lunch. Factory Race car, pro driver on slicks?? give me a break. Why would he add that??? get a Cup car out there and let Gordon drive them both and then you can comment...

I guess you have to keep in mind that a proffesional writer is programed to create a little controvery to help justify his exsistance. If he had nothing but good things to say, what would he have to write about. He bails himself out in the end by saying each his own. Typical writer, but an enjoyable read.
PSMA? If you're going to assert an opinion, at least know the acronym and type it correctly.

"Hard street driving" is hardly the proving ground for suspension tuning in terms of building a sense of consistently and learning about a car and it suspension. On a race track, the tires and suspension can be controlled to optimum operating temperatures and specifications (especially in terms of roll and travel.)

Let's consider this again once you have back to back driving with your Cup car.

I was suprised to see a reference to out-right lap records with Jeff Gordon in one of those NASCAR shock-and-awe things those guys drive, but it was couched as "just for fun" -- it's not as if anyone was suggesting there's importance in the comparison other than the mental image of suggesting a multi-million dollar all out race car will be barely ten seconds quicker on a two minute lap versus a street legal production car with "registration and insurance, please driver."
Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- This article was a very good read.

I would immediately buy a triple adjustable Öhlin setup for the car in a second if "someone", like Stasis, would go to the effort of testing the best spring / dampening combo for the car because when I first got the Ohlins installed on the car and tested out the Ohlins it was this highspeed bump that the Ohlins just absolutely ate up and kept the car so settled that makes them worth every penny.
I think you will find that Paul Lambert and the gang know quite a lot about setting up the car. Remember they work with Farnbacher Loles on certain issues. Also Öhlins themselves have packaged coilover kits.

R+C

Quick Reply: Excellence Magazine's Review of 997 GT3