997 GT3: To Buy or Not to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007 | 09:01 PM
donquixote30
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3: To Buy or Not to Buy

Hello,

As a new Rennlist member, I would like to solicit your input regarding the possible purchase of a 2008 GT3. Buying a sports car is more a question of emotion than rational calculation, yet I'm among those who likes to bring as much reason as possible to the decision making process. Here are the conflicting forces pulling me appart.

I currently own a 2006 Carrera S (AS, blk interior, sport shifter, sport seats,
transparent bra) which I drive to work together with a 2005 S60 Volvo, 5-sp.
The Carrera S is a delight, and even the Volvo's totally different character is inspiring on my lazy days. In short, I deeply enjoy the man-machine dialog a well-design sports car (e.g. 911) is able to provide. The 997 Carrera S does that very well, BUT for what I have read, the 997 GT3 brings its sibling's qualities to the next level. Thus, that's the car the child in me wants.

However, I haven't told you that I'm a young 70-years old guy. Granted, I'm in relatively good shape (bike at least 3 or for times a week), and according to others, I look much younger. Nevertheless, I'm old and am not sure for how much longer I'll be able to physically handle a GT3. The other issue is that the GT3 will be my retirement car. As such, I don't plan to bring it to the track. It will then be my ONLY daily driver. I'll missing the practicality of the Carrera and paying for the compromissing qualities of a quasi racing machine such as the GT3. Too high a price to pay? Difficult to answer, but I would welcome your thoughts.
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:07 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

You haven't given a compelling argument as to why you shouldn't buy... Buy!
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:17 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by donquixote30
However, I haven't told you that I'm a young 70-years old guy. Granted, I'm in relatively good shape (bike at least 3 or for times a week), and according to others, I look much younger. Nevertheless, I'm old and am not sure for how much longer I'll be able to physically handle a GT3. The other issue is that the GT3 will be my retirement car. As such, I don't plan to bring it to the track. It will then be my ONLY daily driver. I'll missing the practicality of the Carrera and paying for the compromissing qualities of a quasi racing machine such as the GT3. Too high a price to pay? Difficult to answer, but I would welcome your thoughts.
kudos to you sir! sounds like you will be enjoy a car such as a GT3. I think if you can find a nice rennlister in your area willing to let you drive one just to see if you can handle it, i think you will be pleasantly surprised and immediately go to the dealer to order one. And if you haven't tracked a car, its not too late to start. I say try that as well. It won't be an experience you will ever forget. good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

you are 70 and you enjoy driving 997S. well by all means, get the GT3.
i have driven it, the car is very streetable. and if you so desire, you can option it down or option it up to the level of any 997's.

i see NO reason why you shouldn't.
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:26 PM
rai
Instructor

Hard to say, its not like I can say how spry you will be for how long.

But if you are itching for one, its not like you have to drive it always. I mean you can always trade it.

The argument to get it would be that you'd be acting young and this may keep you going more so than if you bought an old mans car.

The argument against getting it is (you say) it will be your only car and (depending on driving conditions and where you need to go) it may be better to have a more functional car such as a sedan or a wagon. The GT3 is a 2 seater.

My point is sometimes a 2 seater is not the best car to be your only car.
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
My point is sometimes a 2 seater is not the best car to be your only car.
i hope my wife doesnt find this thread.
my 2 seater porsche isnt my only car.
i have many cars. but they are all 2 seaters, LOL.

when i need practical cars, i call up all my friends
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:55 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

If you haven't owned a car such as a GT3 I think you owe it to yourself to have the experience. I owned a 997S and it was not really that close to the 996 GT3 in terms of involvement, if that comparison holds (I haven't driven the new one). If driving such a car with so much feedback becomes bothersome, you can sell it and probably not get hammered in the sale. Besides many of us have our days when we don't want to know the contours of that pothole; I'm 40 yoa, but an old 40 ). 911s do tend to hold their value pretty well, especially the focused models like the GT3. Cheers.
Old 01-13-2007 | 10:53 PM
donquixote30
Intermediate

Thanks to all for your encouraging words. In some ways that's what I wanted to hear as those positive comments resonate with my instincts. If I could get a decent trade-in value for my Carrera S? My dealer quoted a ridiculous $66,000 without seeing the car. I paid $84,000 on August, 2005. If I really decide to go for it, I would expect no more than a 15% hit, or roughly $72,000. Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2007 | 10:59 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Regardless of age, I can't recommend a GT3 as your only car. It is my 4th car. It can be a daily driver, but it's hardly a grocery getter, long distance tourer, winter car, not good for hauling, too low, too expensive to take to Target, etc. Pair it with a Suburu wagon and you have the perfect pair.

I say this as a 56 year old guy. Love your spirit.
Old 01-13-2007 | 11:04 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don-Q,
Cheers to your young mindset

I do not think you will be unhappy w/ the GT3. You live in an area w/ great parkways that I am sure you will have many days of spirited drives on. Go for the GT3. Then, come w/ us to the Metro NY PCA novice day Drivers Ed event this spring and have a great time driving your GT3 on the Track at your pace with great instructors and very supportive club members. PM me if you are interested; I will point you in the right direction if you have not already done so.

Keep enjoying your life!
Old 01-13-2007 | 11:39 PM
Big Red
Advanced

I am 63 and I traded in a 06 Cs on a new GT3. There are some compromises in ride and some in comfort, but the benefits are enormous. The GT3 is an incredible handling and performing car. I have never had a car that inspired such confidence in drivilng. I have never been to the track, but intend to do so some in this car. I will mostly use it in daily driving. I love those little bursts of running the rpm up and listening to the car and feeling the force push you back. It is just a great car. I think you will enjoy this car anytime. The ride is OK and surprised me on the plus side other than on really rough highways. I am a lover of cars. I have as my other easier riding car, a 07 Mercedes CLK 6.3 AMG. This is also a great car but does not handle anything like the porsche. I suggest you go for it if you can appreciate the power and potential of the GT3.

Big Red
Old 01-14-2007 | 12:18 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donquixote30
Hello,

As a new Rennlist member, I would like to solicit your input regarding the possible purchase of a 2008 GT3. Buying a sports car is more a question of emotion than rational calculation, yet I'm among those who likes to bring as much reason as possible to the decision making process. Here are the conflicting forces pulling me appart.

I currently own a 2006 Carrera S (AS, blk interior, sport shifter, sport seats,
transparent bra) which I drive to work together with a 2005 S60 Volvo, 5-sp.
The Carrera S is a delight, and even the Volvo's totally different character is inspiring on my lazy days. In short, I deeply enjoy the man-machine dialog a well-design sports car (e.g. 911) is able to provide. The 997 Carrera S does that very well, BUT for what I have read, the 997 GT3 brings its sibling's qualities to the next level. Thus, that's the car the child in me wants.

Check your PMs
Old 01-14-2007 | 04:57 AM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can... you must!
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2007 | 12:25 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the GT3!

My father-- age 76, retired accountant-- rides a Honda 750 motorcycle (occasionally w/my Mom on the back!) as his daily driver in warmer weather. Keep the Volvo for New York winters, get the GT3.

See if your dealer will allow you to locate a private buyer, post a free ad in Rennlist classifieds (if your miles are <10K I think you could reasonably expect to get $70K without much work at all) and run the sale 'through' the dealer as a trade-in-- (assuming there is a tax /offset benefit for trade-in in NY state?). Dealer trade-in offers are always about the same low $ as auction prices, dealers expect to make a few $K on your trade-in.
Old 01-14-2007 | 12:45 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 607 Posts

Get the GT3!

Quick Reply: 997 GT3: To Buy or Not to Buy