Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3: To Buy or Not to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 05:13 PM
donquixote30
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Clarification to all

Everyone of you suggested that having a GT3 as THE ONLY car would be a mistake, particularly for someone living in New York. I wholehartedly agree. That is why I currently drive a Volvo together with the 997S.

What I failed to indicate on my initial question, however, was that in the near future I'll be moving to South Florida (Coral Gables, if you know the area), and the climate and roads there will be more accommodating to a GT3. Nevertheless, you guys have enhanced my awareness of the potential street-limitations of the GT3 (e.g., entrance to gas stations, driveways, parking lots, speed-bumps, etc., all of which are also present to a lesser degree while driving the 997S) and I have decided that I will keep the Volvo as a back-up.

A week or so ago I began to make inquiries about the "road topography" surrounding my property (condo) in Florida, including speed-bumps in the parking lot as well as driveway entrance and exit -- I am renting out the place, and haven't being there for awhile. I learned from the condo's office that in two or three years the City of Coral Gables will have speed-bumps on the only road leading to the condo. Not good news, but that's part of the price one pays for such toys.
Old 01-15-2007 | 05:17 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 608 Posts

Florida - yes to GT3
Speedbumps - yes to 2005-2006 Gallardo (height adjustable front end)!
Old 01-15-2007 | 07:29 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by donquixote30
Everyone of you suggested that having a GT3 as THE ONLY car would be a mistake, particularly for someone living in New York. I wholehartedly agree. That is why I currently drive a Volvo together with the 997S.

What I failed to indicate on my initial question, however, was that in the near future I'll be moving to South Florida (Coral Gables, if you know the area), and the climate and roads there will be more accommodating to a GT3. Nevertheless, you guys have enhanced my awareness of the potential street-limitations of the GT3 (e.g., entrance to gas stations, driveways, parking lots, speed-bumps, etc., all of which are also present to a lesser degree while driving the 997S) and I have decided that I will keep the Volvo as a back-up.

A week or so ago I began to make inquiries about the "road topography" surrounding my property (condo) in Florida, including speed-bumps in the parking lot as well as driveway entrance and exit -- I am renting out the place, and haven't being there for awhile. I learned from the condo's office that in two or three years the City of Coral Gables will have speed-bumps on the only road leading to the condo. Not good news, but that's part of the price one pays for such toys.
I live in Florida and you do need to take care on driveways and speed bumps. I drive mine every day and manage fine, but you have to think ahead.

Yesterday I went over four speed humps. On #3 I crawled over it and turned the car left to get a more oblique angle of approach. As I did a motorcycle behind me dumped her bike on the left shoulder. That was a shock to me! She clearly admitted that it was her fault for trying to pass me in a no-passing zone (double yellow lines), but it still rattles me that she was careless and could have gotten seriously hurt.

My point is, you need to be extra careful down here. Not only must you drive your own car, but you must drive the car behind you too!

Oh, the fourth speed bump got me! I was busy talking to my girlfriend in the passenger seat about the accident that happened 100 yards back when I saw the bump too late. Sure enough, the nose dipped on the far side of the hump and the lower chin came off and made a hideous dragging sound. Five minutes latter I collected all of the plastic rivets and had the spoiler back on with no real damage.
Old 01-15-2007 | 08:10 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

One more thing!

The GT3 brings out the worst in people! I am always challenged by the mentally challenged in their Japanese cars with the excrement muffler horns, SUVs, Mostly pickup trucks, and assorted "American Muscle" cars that want to street race me. I generally ignore them.

I had two great examples yesterday.

First one was a flat black Ford historic muscle car driven by a mussel head on my way to pick up my girlfriend.

He kept trying to pass me and gun his engine. Then he cut in front of me at the light, stood on his brakes , and sat their spinning his rear tires. Then tore off when the light was green. This continued at every stop light. I was getting very aggravated when I finally looked left to give him a frown I noticed he had a baby seat with a small baby in the rear! At that point I was very aggravated and also at my turn off. He got behind me and trapped behind cars in the left lane. This is a 45 mph zone with two lanes in each direction.

To further "impress" me he pulled over onto the right shoulder and passed two or three cars at high speed. Finally, I could take it no more and I flipped open the phone and dialed 911. I gave the police the plate number, car description, and vehicle direction along with a detailed description of his driving habits.

What really burns me up was that I did not have a video camera and I did not have his wife's home address. I would have gladly sent sent a copy of that tape to her along with a complimentary rolling pin!

The second one was while my girlfriend and I were enjoying a nice drive down by the water when someone in a Honda or such pulls up to my right rear and guns his little *** engine trying to get my attention and look at his party horn muffler. Then he goes racing ahead weaving through traffic. He must have been truly inspired by the GT3.

As I said, I try to ignore them. I just won't go down to their level, but there is an endless supply of them on the road. Welcome to Florida!

On the brighter side, I do get a lot of complimentary looks! One guy, stopped at a light ahead of me, actually crawled half-way out of his truck's driver window just so he could turn back to get a better look at the car.
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:35 PM
donquixote30
Intermediate

Thanks Marv for your detailed introduction to the Florida driving scene. I know exactly what you are refering to as I have had similar experiences with my 997S as well as with my previous toy, a mean-looking black C5 Vette. Same behavioral problems and vehicle types! Unfortunately, I suspect these unfortunate events are a national epidemic. Apparently sports cars are viewed as a challenge to these folks. A GT3, of course, would trigger an even more aggressive response on their part. You are doing the right thing, don't pay attention to their silly behavior.

Yes, I'll have to be very attentive to the streets "topographycal" chanllenges as well. I have already conducted an exploratory survey in my Florida neighborhood (through friends and acquientances), including my condo driveway, parking lot, and speed-bumps, and the feedback is not too encouraging either. I guess one has to live with those impediments and treat them as an inevitable trade-off of driving a GT3.

Once again, thank you Marv for supplying such important piece of information. It support the thesis that a back-up, functional car, is an imperative even in a warm climate.
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:24 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

My GT3 is my only car!

Thanks Marv for your detailed introduction to the Florida driving scene. I know exactly what you are refering to as I have had similar experiences with my 997S as well as with my previous toy, a mean-looking black C5 Vette. Same behavioral problems and vehicle types! Unfortunately, I suspect these unfortunate events are a national epidemic. Apparently sports cars are viewed as a challenge to these folks. A GT3, of course, would trigger an even more aggressive response on their part. You are doing the right thing, don't pay attention to their silly behavior.

Yes, I'll have to be very attentive to the streets "topographycal" chanllenges as well. I have already conducted an exploratory survey in my Florida neighborhood (through friends and acquientances), including my condo driveway, parking lot, and speed-bumps, and the feedback is not too encouraging either. I guess one has to live with those impediments and treat them as an inevitable trade-off of driving a GT3.

Once again, thank you Marv for supplying such important piece of information. It support the thesis that a back-up, functional car, is an imperative even in a warm climate.
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Jack, I responded to your PM prior to reading the updated responses. With your FL move, I've got to say that is in the GT3's favor. As I'm sure you are aware, the roads are so much better in FL than in the urban NY area.

Speedbumps are a problem, but b/c they are invariably placed on at least dual lane low speed roads, they should be easily traversable, since you can take them at quite an angle with plenty of time to spare as cars aren't buzzing at you at 70 mph. 20 mph residential area + speedbumps + patience should have you in good shape. In fact, w/ most speedbumps in my 996 GT3 I didn't need a severe steering angle but just a slow speed to prevent suspension compression.
Old 01-16-2007 | 12:09 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody converted to Dzus fasteners so that the front lip can be removed and replaced at will? If possible, that would make it easier to commute to work and then replace the lip for track weekends.
Old 01-16-2007 | 10:10 AM
donquixote30
Intermediate

frayed,

Thanks for diminishing my anxiety with respect to Florida's street topographical challenges. Still I welcome Marv's observations as I was a bit too confident relative to where I currently live, near New York City. We have exciting curvy roads in Westchester County, N.Y., together with spectacular nature but as one gets into suburbia the driving situation tends to change dramatically. NYC city is tough, Manhattan not even 997S territory.

Jack
Old 01-16-2007 | 10:16 AM
donquixote30
Intermediate

Terry L,

That sounds as a compelling idea. Unfortunately, and forgive my ignorance, I don't have a clue as to what "Dzus fasteners" are. Could you briefily describe them?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 01-16-2007 | 10:35 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Terry L
Has anybody converted to Dzus fasteners so that the front lip can be removed and replaced at will? If possible, that would make it easier to commute to work and then replace the lip for track weekends.
Just a sidenote, the front bumper assembly looks terrible w/o the lip. On the 996 there weren't any issues, but the bumper plastic on the 997 extends behind the lip. Removing it leaves a lot of exposed plastic.

Now, if somebody made a lower profile lip (just deep enought to cover the the portion of the bumper that extends behind the lip) that might be a great solution for street use.
Old 01-16-2007 | 01:09 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

As a new Rennlist member, I would like to solicit your input regarding the possible purchase of a 2008 GT3. Buying a sports car is more a question of emotion than rational calculation, yet I'm among those who likes to bring as much reason as possible to the decision making process. Here are the conflicting forces pulling me appart.

I currently own a 2006 Carrera S (AS, blk interior, sport shifter, sport seats,
transparent bra) which I drive to work together with a 2005 S60 Volvo, 5-sp.
The Carrera S is a delight, and even the Volvo's totally different character is inspiring on my lazy days. In short, I deeply enjoy the man-machine dialog a well-design sports car (e.g. 911) is able to provide. The 997 Carrera S does that very well, BUT for what I have read, the 997 GT3 brings its sibling's qualities to the next level. Thus, that's the car the child in me wants.

However, I haven't told you that I'm a young 70-years old guy. Granted, I'm in relatively good shape (bike at least 3 or for times a week), and according to others, I look much younger. Nevertheless, I'm old and am not sure for how much longer I'll be able to physically handle a GT3. The other issue is that the GT3 will be my retirement car. As such, I don't plan to bring it to the track. It will then be my ONLY daily driver. I'll missing the practicality of the Carrera and paying for the compromissing qualities of a quasi racing machine such as the GT3. Too high a price to pay? Difficult to answer, but I would welcome your thoughts.
You know what...GO FOR IT!!! Screw the analysis/paralysis, rational versus emotional BS. Get the car and have a ball. I hope when I'm 70 I still look for ways to crank UP, than wind DOWN, my life!
Old 01-16-2007 | 04:37 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 440 Posts

Jack- Get the GT3 now and drive it like you stole it for as long as you are able. Keep it for 10 years, get the 999 GT3 and sell the 997 GT3 to me as I'll be retiring then and have already promised myself for that moment, God willing and the creek don't rise. Silver/Boxster Red, please!

-Jim
Old 01-16-2007 | 08:07 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dzus fasteners are those thingies which you turn and they are tight after only 1/2 turn. If your car has an undertray, it's probably held on with these.
Old 01-16-2007 | 10:22 PM
donquixote30
Intermediate

Thanks Terry L for the info.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3: To Buy or Not to Buy