Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HT with PCCB Brakes, HOW!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:46 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HT with PCCB Brakes, HOW!?

How do you heel toe with PCCB Brakes? I am probably just too used to the steel brakes, but I can not heel toe at all with PCCB because they engage so much faster.

Help.

At 613 miles and can not wait to go past 6k rpms.

Here is my rim after driving on sunset in Beverly hills the other night

Greg

ps. I am going to renew my RL membership tomorrow. I didnt know it elapsed.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

practice
Old 01-10-2007, 10:36 AM
frayed
Race Car

This has been my issue with pccbs. The pedal sits so high relative to the gas pedal and is so senstive, I went from having no problems in my M3 and steel braked 996s to WTF? in the 997S with PCCB.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:13 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's an acquired skill...practice...practice...practice

On the street it's pretty useless to try, your never into the brakes hard enough.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Really, I heel toe everyday in my 996.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:33 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

So do I (heel and toe every day), but when I use the "ceramic" car, sometimes, at lower speeds, it is not possible because of low speed and pedal travel relationship. Really late, late braking (short hard stab) could possibly help, but that might bring it's own complications on the street.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

practice by driving some of the early Ferraris - about 1/32 of an inch pedal travel!

R+C
Old 01-10-2007, 01:53 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Practice always helps for sure, but there are some situations where a "heel and toe" for the sake of a "heel and toe" is pointless; and that happens more (often) on the street in a ceramic equipped car than non-ceramic equipped car at low speeds!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:54 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frayed
This has been my issue with pccbs. The pedal sits so high relative to the gas pedal and is so senstive, I went from having no problems in my M3 and steel braked 996s to WTF? in the 997S with PCCB.
Exactly! How have you overcome this? Can I ask the dealer to adjust the pedal settings somehow?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colm
So do I (heel and toe every day), but when I use the "ceramic" car, sometimes, at lower speeds, it is not possible because of low speed and pedal travel relationship. Really late, late braking (short hard stab) could possibly help, but that might bring it's own complications on the street.
With Steel I could HT in the street with zero issues.

I will have to practice with my foot at a different angle
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Aside from rally drivers, I see very few pro drivers actually using their toe on the brake and their heel on the top of the accelerator. I have PCCBs on the car and I tend to roll my foot around the side of the pedal and use the side of my foot to match rpm to gear.

I went through a futile exercise of trying to "re-learn" heel-toe down-shifts in the more deliberate style of toe on the brake and heel on the accelerator pedal but I couldn't develop the flexibility in my ankle to make it work with anywhere near the same precision as rolling my foot.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Aside from rally drivers, I see very few pro drivers actually using their toe on the brake and their heel on the top of the accelerator. I have PCCBs on the car and I tend to roll my foot around the side of the pedal and use the side of my foot to match rpm to gear.

I went through a futile exercise of trying to "re-learn" heel-toe down-shifts in the more deliberate style of toe on the brake and heel on the accelerator pedal but I couldn't develop the flexibility in my ankle to make it work with anywhere near the same precision as rolling my foot.
+1^ Roll the upper right half of the right foot to blip the gas pedal. HT is the only way I drive now on the street...and have been doing so for 2 years on PCCBs. No issues. If you screw on an after market pedal such as Ruf on top of the gas pedal it'll help reduce the height diff between brake and gas for street use.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:29 PM
frayed
Race Car

Yeah, I was thinking an aftermarket gas pedal with spacers if need be to collapse the difference a bit.

But the PCCBs are so sensitive, it take more 'thought' than with any steel braked car.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

I am going to see if I can get used to the difference or not.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, I find the PCCB pedal feel to be progressive and user-friendly -- perhaps they're not so good until they're bedded in.

The other thing is to practice on a Prius -- it has the panic brake assist thing where if you jab the pedal down to the engagement point, it thinks you're panic braking and releases stored boost assist and the brakes come up abruptly ... it takes a while to develop another "detent" in your leg to stop just before actuating the panic-assist but as close as possible to the engagement point. Plus, it's an electric system over the hydraulics, so the feel is about as informative as reading a book with your foot.

Quick Reply: HT with PCCB Brakes, HOW!?