Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Not your typical newbie intro (new GT3 pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not your typical newbie intro (new GT3 pics)

Hi all, my name is Walker, 37 years old (38 next month), & I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Since joining, I've been lurking around, reading posts & using the search, but have waited to post my intro until I had a car. Most likely the longest post I'll make, bear with me. Here goes:

I've never owned a Porsche before. Mostly Chevrolets, or other General Motors products until now. All are/were V8's with rear wheel drive. Still have a '98 Corvette (Indy Pace Car, with the Lingenfelter 427TT package), an '02 Chevy pickup & an '04 Pontiac GTO (also with a Lingenfelter 427TT package). Until now, the GTO was the closest thing to a foregin car I've ever owned (built by Holden in Australia). Getting pretty tired of dealing with GM at this point though.

The only rear engine car I've ever driven was the rusted out VW Thing I learned thow to drive with 24 years ago.

Been on various internet forums through the years, including the corvetteforum since 1999.

Since I was a kid, I've always liked the Porsche 911. Swore one day I'd get one. As I grew older, I saw how expensive they were, & was always able to talk myself away from even giving them a good look. That was until I saw the new GT3.

I fell in love with the new GT3 a few months back, after seeing a few pictures. After seeing the specs & the Porsche marketing stuff, I really sold myself on getting one. Checked with the local dealer, they only get 1 this year, & it was sold. Their best guess, 1 & 1/2 years. Sorry, that doesn't work for me. I don't like waiting.

So I checked with a few dealers around the country, best I could find was an April build. Not wanting to wait that long, I scoured various internet forums for leads & kept a close eye on ebay. Called a dealer about one from a lead, but I was too late. Bid on a black GT3 about a month ago, it never met the reserve (they wanted $10K over MSRP).

Ended up looking on ebay New Years day & saw a black one listed, with 2 hours left. It was new, with 30 miles, from Capital Eurocars, the Talahassee Florida Porsche dealer. I won the auction! Put the deposit down on Tuesday. Paid for it on Wednesday. Flew down, picked it up on Thursday & drove it home.

This thing is incredible! Unfortunately, it was raining in Florida Thursday, & rained on me for half of my trip home. Yep, already got it dirty.

Apparently the guy that ordered this car, his wife bought him a Shelby Mustang, so he had to turn the GT3 down. It was ordered with:

Black paint
Black full leather
Adaptive sport seats
Self-dim mirrors & rain sensor
PCM 2.1
Bi-xenon headlamp package
Thicker steering wheel - leather
Wheel caps with colored crest
Sound package plus
Chrono package plus
Floor mats - interior color
Storage compartment lid with model logo

MSRP was $118,995. Ebay auction price was $121,100. With tax, $128,797.95. Not sure what the ebay fees are on a sale this big, I'd imagine the dealerdidn't make much of anything over MSRP on the sale.

I'm in LOVE!!! I'd really been wanting another black car, but all the press stuff with the GT3 in white had me looking for one. When I saw the pictures (36 of them) & the options list, I knew this was my car. I was looking for a low optioned car at first, to keep the weight down. That 3075 pound listed weight looked good, & I was wanting to try to get that under 3000 pounds without destroying the car. Seeing the post with the 3223 pound weight killed that idea. So I decided to look for one with some options, the lights, full leather, PCM & SPP. And the steel brakes.

So far I've got 866 miles on it. The trip home was 450 miles. I took a 330 mile trip along the Ocoee river, up to & along the Cherahala Skyway,the Tail of the Dragon, and back yesterday. Did I say it was incredible!

A couple notes:

----- I have filled this car up with gas twice to the full mark with NO problems. Neither pump I used had the vapor clamp type nozzle though.

----- This car came with the Pirelli tires. As mentioned, about half of my 450 mile trip home was in the rain. Never had ANY problem with them in regards to aquaplaning. None. So far, I'm very impressed with them. Will most likely replace them with Michelin PS2's when it's time though.

I've really been wanting something I can do some track days with (Road Atlanta comes to mind). Can't use the Corvette, it's a convertible, & I refuse to put a rollbar in a convertible. Had a 2000 Corvette coupe for awhile, never got into tracking that due to the fact that when I was wearing a helmet & in my "serious driving position", my head was in constant contact with the roof. Any bump was seriously, a real pain in the neck. In the GT3, in position with helmet, I have about 1 & 3/4 inches of headroom. Game on!

I've done 3 driving schools in Corvettes at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, outside of Vegas, so I'm familiar with maintaining car balance. From the little taste I got yesterday on the Dragon, I'm just amazed at the way this car turns. I took corners faster yesterday then I ever have before, & I'm still learning the car! Never felt close to the edge, & neverout of control. Didn't even hear any noise from the tires. Just what seems to be endless grip. Can't wait untill I really know how to drive it & where those limits are. Looking into the PDE ASAP, it's only about a 2 hour drive to Birmingham.

Finally, I'll be attending the Rolex 24 again this year & will be driving the GT3 down & back. Hope it makes it through the infield tunnel. I also hope to meet some new friends. Instead of just walking through the Porsche car corral (something I do everytime I'm there), I'll be able to park there.

OK, enough rambling & on with the pictures. There are 8.
Attached Images     

Last edited by WalkerInTN; 01-07-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

The other 4 pictures.
Attached Images     
Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Forgot to mention the thicker leather steering wheel. I like it, it's very nice. But I'll be asking the dealer about the alacantra wheel this week.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Your car looks awesome in black! Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Top speed on the trip home???
Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Congrats!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 PM
frayed
Race Car

Welcome and Congrats!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice in black ... enjoy! And 2k over MSRP isn't bad, considering your driving the car NOW and not in 6 months.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
M&M
AutoX

awesome in black. If my last 2 Porsches were not black (including a black race car) it would be my choice. have a white one comming in May.
enjoy
Old 01-07-2007, 10:07 PM
krC2S
Racer

congrats and welcome

if getting a wheel you could get it from carnewal ( they have the RS wheel)
Old 01-07-2007, 10:14 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trj
Top speed on the trip home???
With about 400 miles on it & at that point a dry road that I'm very familiar with, 105.

Most of the time I stayed pretty close to the limit, cops in south Georgia are no joke. At one point I was hit with laser (brought the V1 with me) doing 75. One cop on a bridge, 2 more waiting a bit down the road. At 5 over, I was sure they would come get me, but they never did.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmag
Nice in black ... enjoy! And 2k over MSRP isn't bad, considering your driving the car NOW and not in 6 months.
That's what I thought. I really wanted to be in one before my trip to Daytona. To date, it's the closest MSRP to selling price I've seen a new GT3 go for on ebay. Most don't make the reserve.

The other on I bid on (also black) didn't have the adaptive seats or full leather & they wanted $124. They weren't even the original selling dealer & the car had over 100 miles. Had to pass.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:41 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by krC2S
congrats and welcome

if getting a wheel you could get it from carnewal ( they have the RS wheel)
Oh really? I'd been thinking of going for the RS wheel, love the stripe! Did not know I could get one this soon.

Thanks for the car compliments everyone!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Very sweet ride!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Dro
Instructor

so hot in black!

Quick Reply: Not your typical newbie intro (new GT3 pics)