Some initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:30 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Some initial impressions

It has been a long day.. At the dealership at 7AM to go thru PDI. The dealership
opens at 8:30 and service is closed on SAT. I thank them for the special service.

The car is a beautiful piece of engineering...

One problem that will have to be fixed is that I can not fiii the tank with gas..the innitial try to fill I was only able to get a half tank in, later in the day I tried again and got it to 3/4...That sucks.. I'll go in first thing Tues and get that sorted out.

Car came with Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires which have a treadwear rating of 60 vs 80 for the PSC, which I would have preferred. But you can't choose your tires.

On my order I speced floor mats which were in a bag in the front trunk.
While taking the protective covering off the passenger seat I look dovn on the floor and there is a pair of floor mats, passenger installed and driver upside down atop of it...the velcro plastic discs were installed as well on both sides..
WTF??? Anybody else get an extra set of free mats?

Moving from the Carrera S some impressions
Clutch is a bit stiffer...nothing harsh.
In the S, I would drive with PASM in the on position. The ride compliance on the GT3 is smoother and less jarring than the S. Perhaps tire pressures have a bit to do with that 29f vs 36. I'll know more when I put the weels with PS2's on for general driving & long hauls.

The engine response is lively and spirited, much more so than the S, but have yet to let her rip, but boy she can pull up to 5k.

Steering/turn-in is noticeably crisper.

Not too many miles today, but more coming...soon.

Last edited by MJones; 08-23-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:40 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update! Great looking GT3. Congrats!! I also have a 997S that will be changing for the GT3. Your perspective is useful.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:08 PM
RS 197
Pro

I would not be happy about the tires. They are a totally different tire?

That is weird. My tires have no tread on the outside at all. they have a small abount in the middle.

weird.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:43 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

I noticed that the doors need a firm "follow through" to close properly, quite a change from the 996.
on the other hand, with the windows down and the S/R open, there is less buffeting than in the 996, even at highway speeds. That's the best way to enjoy the sound track.
A neat feature is the simultanous tire pressure display of all 4 tires.
My car was prepped pefectly by the dealership, and came with zero defects. I love it.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:41 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MJ - how does the exhaust sound in the normal and sport mode? Have fun!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

From your engine photo there appears to be very little cosmoline applied which I think is great. Remember all the threads by owners of new 996 GT3 trying to remove the darn cosmoline?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:04 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- I had the 3/4qtrs fill the gas tank problem as well - anyone else???

- also, I thought the psc tires where the only tires that came with the car???
Old 12-31-2006, 01:20 AM
frayed
Race Car

Corsas? Weird. I thought they were coming with cups?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups or Pirelli Corsas are both supplied. Luck of the draw which one you'll get.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look rather more like P Zero Corsa Systems....as opposed to the former P Zero Corsas.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...pe=CAR-SUV-VAN
Old 12-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the first I've heard of the Pirelli Corsa. The "gen two" Sport Cup appears to be leagues ahead of the "old" (current except for the 997 GT3) Sport Cup in the wet. Applying power in the 997 on a damp road, the car just moves ahead whereas the Sport Cups on the 996 would let you kow you're on borrowed time or just spin.
Corsas are an amazing wet tyre. I had a set on the then AWD 993 Turbo and it was forever challenging me to find its limits in the wet on the track (Laguna, Sears, Thunderhill, Willow Springs) or on the roads (Skyline Blvd, Hwy 1.)
That said, I bought the car expecting a "gen two" MPSC, not an old Pirelli that needs some refinement. Bizarre.

If you run Corsas on the track, check for advice on pressure (or they'll be worn out in one day at the track) and look for posts from 996 GT3 owners on effective camber settings with matching pressure settings. I'm guessing around three degrees in the rear with very low pressure when cold. Maybe 27? And the Corsa is trouble because it challenges the car to run a rear camber that works on the track without destroying the inner side tread.

I blew out a Corsa because of inside shoulder wear. Not fun. And that was on the street playing in the hills at relatively high speeds (for a bullet train) so I count myself lucky to be here and complaining about it instead of just six foot under and feeding the daisies.

Bloody Daises.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:43 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the partial fill issue... I have that problem on the C4S everytime I fill up in California (I live on the border in Nevada). It didn't happen on the '05 CS but it does happen on the '06 C4S. Bass-ackwards guess on my part is that it has something to do with the Cal. anti fume gas nozzle seating on the Porsche fill neck. I can make it fill the whole way by holding the nozzle boot off the fill neck.

Does not happen in Nevada where we have different anti fume nozzles.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:52 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

congratulations! Do you plan on doing your cross country jaunts with this one as well? will be interested to see how it is on long drives.

If you don't mind me asking (PM if you'd like) did you trade in your S or sell it privately. I know you had a fair amount of miles on that car - i'm wondering what you got for it.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:56 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Awesome car! when's the first road trip?

Quick Reply: Some initial impressions