Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ferrari---->GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:04 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
it reminds me of my S2000. Fun at 80%, but as you approach the limit, it's a handful. Words like 'snap spin', 'tail-happy', 'twitchy' come to mind.
_________
your s2000 must not have the correct bump steer kit.
i rode a stripped s2000, stock motor, jrz's and it's way faster than cayman or gt3. and it's as sharp as gt3 in handling but very very stable. i might get one.
I was unhappy with the on edge feel of the S2000 when I did track time at WS (well, SOW). It was not as stable as I remember the 928 being, which as I mentioned in a PM to Frayed, telegraphs its movement very very well. Instead of just dumping the S2000 thought I will install the larger wheels, wider tires, BSK (rear at least), and get an alignment and see how it goes. If it is still as jumpy in my opinion I will have to look back to the 928 for track duty. Somtimes I forget how important an alignment can be.

You ever driven a Z-06 Mooty?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:08 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
The further I go with cars I am more aware of compromise. The GT3 is great on the track but pretty iffy on the street. Blasphemy to say so on this forum, but I think Chevrolet did a pretty good job of getting a lot of performance into a package that is still pretty driveable.
Its saddening that I am getting to an age (or maturity) where I DON'T think that driving a race car on the street is cool or a good thing to do. I'm looking forward (gasp) to trying out the "Drive a large tahoe with car on trailer" to the track. Just think - extra parts, tires, tools, a cooler with root beer and sandwiches.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC

You ever driven a Z-06 Mooty?
yes, but no on track. too fast for me. i dont konw how to handle it.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
yes, but no on track. too fast for me. i dont konw how to handle it.
Interesting comments. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tdf360
Interesting that our impressions are so different. I felt no bump steer in my 360 at all, unlike in the GT3. Both great cars, but I felt the 360 was sharper in its responses with fewer vices.

Gary
Gary, update on the 360. Had it aligned and it is awesome. The factory alignment was pretty far off, less than half the toe-in in the rear, and the front was a bit off as well. Car tracks pretty true and the 'rear steer' or 'bumpsteer' feeling as the car loads into a corner is now gone.

Looks like my biggest complaint in the 360 is now alleviated.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 595 Posts

Question is, how much did that cost you? Surely not the $69 at Firestone.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:57 AM
frayed
Race Car

Well my buddy runs a peformance shop and has a state of the art alignment rack; I think it was $120 or thereabouts. Took a long time to get it aligned though. Camber requires shims and you have to drop the underbody panel to get at the goods.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 595 Posts

Happy enough to pass on the GT3 now? I'm taking the turbos to TWS in early Dec
Old 11-15-2006, 12:14 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by eclou
Happy enough to pass on the GT3 now? I'm taking the turbos to TWS in early Dec
I think so. Tough call. The GT3 is cheaper, tougher, more hardcore, and track ready. But it'll scrape *everywhere* and you give up a lot in looks and sound. I'm not keen on tracking the Ferrari, so track duty requires me to keep the M3, making me stay with 4-cars (fcar, track car, daily, wife's car). PITA.

Did I tell you, that I'm running Alpha-N and we've cracked 300 rwhp in that car. Should be badass. It's still at Sunbelt for tuning.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
Gary, update on the 360. Had it aligned and it is awesome. The factory alignment was pretty far off, less than half the toe-in in the rear, and the front was a bit off as well. Car tracks pretty true and the 'rear steer' or 'bumpsteer' feeling as the car loads into a corner is now gone.

Interesting.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:30 PM
tdf360
Pro

Glad to hear it. In my experience, the alignment is worth looking at in both the Ferrari and Porsche worlds...they are frequently out of whack from the factory.

Gary
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
frayed
Race Car

Thanks. Glad I did. I know my GT3 was sensitive to alignment, but even when it was out of whack, it didn't become the handful the 360 did. Maybe it's a mid-engine/low polar moment issue.

Anyway, I'm going to keep the Ferrari. I canceled my GT3 order yesterday afternoon.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smart Man
Old 11-17-2006, 01:28 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Look at how Ferrari almost lost a customer and had to suffer bad publicity just because they failed to check the alignment properly before delivery. And how many people have come to this forum complaining about poor handling Porsches only be receive the same advice? Penny wise and pound foolish.

Stephen
Old 11-17-2006, 04:33 AM
singletrack1
Track Day

I own the shop that did the alignment on Frayed's car. I have never had a car off the factory floor that was all in spec and within a tight tolerance needed for cars like these. This also applies to cars that were aligned by the dealer... Belive it or not, most dealers do not have the top of the line equipment either so their calibration and tolerances are questionable. We do alignments to .1 degrees in camber and .03 toe tolerance which is tighter than 99% of factory spec for most cars. We normally set it to the dead center of the spec.(it isn't as hard as some people make it out to be)

Regular calibration of the alignment equipment is critical.... Just ask your shop when their alignment heads and the rack was last calibrated...

Bill
Soulspeed.com

Quick Reply: Ferrari---->GT3