Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

AliExpress Head Unit install

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 09:44 AM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 125 Posts

This is quite tempting! Anyone have a direct link to the .1 gray version?

Old 05-12-2024, 09:01 PM
Mika23
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed this unit in my 997.2 as well. So far it has been great, the only issue is that the unit does not shut off when shutting off the car. It does automatically switch on when I put the key in. Anyone came across this and how did you resolve it?
Old 05-12-2024, 09:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,697 Posts

My stock head unit only shuts off when I open the door. Shut off the car and I can listen to the radio. Open the door the car says, " he's leaving us, shut it down".
Old 05-13-2024, 12:14 AM
G80
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika23
I installed this unit in my 997.2 as well. So far it has been great, the only issue is that the unit does not shut off when shutting off the car. It does automatically switch on when I put the key in. Anyone came across this and how did you resolve it?
I didn’t have that issue but there is a lot of customizable settings on the unit itself. There may be an option in there to adjust that. Does it shut off after a minute or just stays on permanently until the battery would die?
Old 05-13-2024, 10:57 AM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakthru
This is quite tempting! Anyone have a direct link to the .1 gray version?
Second this - which one is for the .1 in gray? I installed a sony unit in mine and it's a bit dated now.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:20 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 562 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by G80
I didn’t have that issue but there is a lot of customizable settings on the unit itself. There may be an option in there to adjust that. Does it shut off after a minute or just stays on permanently until the battery would die?
while there are 2 units, the cheaper ones are 7862 based and the more expensive ones are the qualcomm units - both units have different menu options to access sleep mode options etc. the 997 thread re these units have the info needed get into all menu options.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:53 AM
Mika23
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
My stock head unit only shuts off when I open the door. Shut off the car and I can listen to the radio. Open the door the car says, " he's leaving us, shut it down".
I tried this but the unit stays on even after a few mins with the door open, including when I shut the door.

Originally Posted by G80
I looked into the settings as well but didn't find anything for this. There is one menu I need a passcode for so will look into the 997 thread if I find more info there.

Originally Posted by myw
while there are 2 units, the cheaper ones are 7862 based and the more expensive ones are the qualcomm units - both units have different menu options to access sleep mode options etc. the 997 thread re these units have the info needed get into all menu options.
I will look into that thread hoping to find the answer there.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:06 AM
G80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mika23
I tried this but the unit stays on even after a few mins with the door open, including when I shut the door.

I looked into the settings as well but didn't find anything for this. There is one menu I need a passcode for so will look into the 997 thread if I find more info there.

I will look into that thread hoping to find the answer there.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
The guy who sells them on Aliexpress is very responsive too, he would reply if you message him
Old 05-21-2024, 05:21 PM
Mr.TT
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There appears to be options with different amounts of Cores and RAM (in addition to storage memory). How is the speed/lag of those of you that bought the cheapest options (the <$200 ones). Any need to get the fast processors or more RAM?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:06 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.TT
There appears to be options with different amounts of Cores and RAM (in addition to storage memory). How is the speed/lag of those of you that bought the cheapest options (the <$200 ones). Any need to get the fast processors or more RAM?
The one I posted is decent, not super quick. But its 7/10 in that regard. I rarely touch it but its nice. I recommend the 3d printed rail mod to mount them. I have the .stl files if anyone needs. I hope someone else can share input on the higher spec’d models but honestly anything beats pcm2.1.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.TT
@G80 do you have any input on this as far as which model you bought? Thanks

Last edited by Chris M.; 06-03-2024 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:45 PM
G80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
@G80 do you have any input on this as far as which model you bought? Thanks

I bought the one that was linked here which I think is the lowest level of memory, 2GB or something? I’m really not technical with this kind of thing but it works perfectly fine and doesn’t seem slow or anything

I’m not playing videos or anything like that, just using Apple CarPlay, Google Maps and Spotify etc and it’s 100% perfect. Feels better than OEM quality. My other car is a new M3 and this $170 system works just as well as the infotainment in the BMW

If you’re planning to stream video or something maybe you need more memory? Maybe? But think your probably going to be fine with the regular one
The following 2 users liked this post by G80:
Chris M. (06-04-2024), Mr.TT (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 09:08 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by G80
I bought the one that was linked here which I think is the lowest level of memory, 2GB or something? I’m really not technical with this kind of thing but it works perfectly fine and doesn’t seem slow or anything

I’m not playing videos or anything like that, just using Apple CarPlay, Google Maps and Spotify etc and it’s 100% perfect. Feels better than OEM quality. My other car is a new M3 and this $170 system works just as well as the infotainment in the BMW

If you’re planning to stream video or something maybe you need more memory? Maybe? But think your probably going to be fine with the regular one
Thanks. My .2 factory PCM is acting up it's time for a replacement.

Quick Reply: AliExpress Head Unit install