Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

AliExpress Head Unit install

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 06:45 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris.C
This looks like an amazing solution for the price.

There seems to be a confusing amount of different options though. I wonder if anyone has done one in a sound package plus vehicle like mine without the Bose and which unit would be required? From my limited research it might be less plug and play.

I don’t care about having a backup camera or the other options. I just want Carplay preferably wireless and to not have to rewire or splice any of the existing wiring.
I think it's actually easier for you since you don't need to deal with the extra Bose wiring. Not sure though
The following users liked this post:
myw (07-17-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:35 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 136 Posts

There seems to be a confusing amount of different options though. I wonder if anyone has done one in a sound package plus vehicle like mine without the Bose and which unit would be required? From my limited research it might be less plug and play.

I don’t care about having a backup camera or the other options. I just want Carplay preferably wireless and to not have to rewire or splice any of the existing wiring.
Chris, you have a 7.2 RS right? their different base systems.
Im' looking for someone in the Bay Area who has extensive Porsche auto stereo experience before converting my 7.1. My PCM Sucks and the car has some aftermarket sound (amp and speakers) so I really dont want to F with it....Just looking for Car Play conversion, mainly nav, phone.....
Old 04-07-2024, 03:37 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
Im' looking for someone in the Bay Area who has extensive Porsche auto stereo experience before converting my 7.1. My PCM Sucks and the car has some aftermarket sound (amp and speakers) so I really dont want to F with it....Just looking for Car Play conversion, mainly nav, phone.....
I don't think you'll have to even touch your aftermarket amp or speakers. If they did the install correctly, you're ready harness should be intact and it's jsut a plug and play. The hardest part is routing your satellite radio or GPs or whatever that antenna is that comes with the unit. You gotta lay on your back in the driver's side footwell. That can be a game of twister if you have a roll bar as you can't move the seat all the way back.

The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
mikes70 (04-07-2024), myw (07-17-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 12:59 AM
Chris.C
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
Yes, I have a 7.2 RS. I usually never touch the stereos in my cars so don’t know anyone either here.

If PCCM+ was an option for mine I would go that route, but unfortunately it seems a long way out so want something temporary until then. Just don’t want to mess with any of the existing wiring that would be difficult to reverse later. This looks like a great, cheap option. I might just go for it.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:01 PM
G80
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 61 Posts

I think enough of us ‘went for it’ because delivery is now looking delayed for me after this thread. lol!
Old 04-20-2024, 07:24 PM
Chris.C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G80
I think enough of us ‘went for it’ because delivery is now looking delayed for me after this thread. lol!
Lmao same here! I’m waiting but also had quite a long threaded discussion with the store owner figuring out which harnesses he needed to ship for my sound package plus amp setup. Seems like he found the right one, but I guess we’ll see once it arrives.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:34 PM
Chris.C
Rennlist Member

Edit: Oops duplicated the reply.

Last edited by Chris.C; 04-20-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:11 PM
G80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bbroetsky
Just installed this AliExpress head unit in my 2010 GT3 RS. The blk color match is almost perfect, the fit is great and it's completely plug and play. No cutting wires or repinning connectors, it was also only $187 and got to me in 2 weeks.The only thing is it has some metal pressure clips on the side that don't exactly hold it in extremely tight, so I did some clear double sided tape around the back side of the bezel and it holds it in perfectly.Ive installed 2 other PCCM+'s in my 997.1 and 964. This is just as nice of a unit as those for 15% of the price.

Did you get any fitment instructions with yours? Mine doesn’t have any? Any guides anywhere.

Did you have to locate the GPS dongle somewhere?

Were any of the cables not needed or did you use everything in the box? Have just opened it up
Old 04-30-2024, 12:49 AM
bbroetsky
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G80
Did you get any fitment instructions with yours? Mine doesn’t have any? Any guides anywhere.

Did you have to locate the GPS dongle somewhere?

Were any of the cables not needed or did you use everything in the box? Have just opened it up
my car had the most basic CDR30 radio. So all I needed was the base Al Express unit, no GPS. They don't come with any instructions, you kind of just have to do a trial and error test with the plugs on your particular car.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbroetsky:
G80 (04-30-2024), myw (07-17-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:57 AM
G80
Rennlist Member

Thank you! As mentioned on PM, I just got it installed

This thing is awesome, wireless car play, awesome sound. Very quick interface, USB ports. Amazing price! Will need a little double sided tape or something to make it snug but overall it’s amazing.

Total game changer but really looking forward to fitting this other noisemaker beside it, lol!

myw (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 06:52 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 583 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
This looks factory to me and normally with an aftermarket head unit I'd never say that. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Holy cow, that looks OEM. Wonder if the oem dials fit in that unit?
Thanks for the kind compliments. It took a while to get it to where it needed to be as the chinese companies dont really care to make it look 'oem'.

The oem dials will not work. There isn't enough room but if I redesign the faceplate i will correct this amongst other small things.

Originally Posted by bbroetsky
I think they sell a grey one to match the 997.1.
Yes they do, i did try my best but it's not a perfect 100% match.

You wont need a fibre optic converter but WILL need a hi-lo converter so that the RCA outputs of the deck directly tap into the ISO harness. Otherwise the audio output for SPP cars will be amplified twice.

Last edited by myw; 05-10-2024 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:23 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by G80
Total game changer but really looking forward to fitting this other noisemaker beside it, lol
is that an RSS?
Old 05-11-2024, 06:56 PM
G80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 8Lug
is that an RSS?

It is! Picked it up off a forum member.

Actually started fitting it today but I think I’m missing a couple of clamps 🤔 they’re not pictured on the website but I assume I need them to connect to the side mufflers

Old 05-11-2024, 07:13 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by G80
It is! Picked it up off a forum member.

Actually started fitting it today but I think I’m missing a couple of clamps 🤔 they’re not pictured on the website but I assume I need them to connect to the side mufflers

Definitely reach out to RSS. I ran into the same issue a couple of months ago and they were able to track down a full new set of clamps for me in their warehouse. Replaced some fairly rusty ones and got the ones I was missing.
G80 (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 08:50 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 412 Posts

RSS is the best sounding in my opinion. Well done.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8Lug:
G80 (05-11-2024), JpCrp (05-12-2024)

Quick Reply: AliExpress Head Unit install