Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track / Street Exhaust Setups

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 05:27 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts
Default Track / Street Exhaust Setups

Open inquiry for those who've configured a 7.1-2 setup for tracks with sound restrictions.

I'm currently running a Frankenstein combo of Cargraphics 200 Cell headers and SW track exhaust. It's gloriously Cup / Rally car loud, but the novelty has faded, and now it's just painfully loud and absolutely won't meet sound at NCM, which is one of my "home" tracks.

I'll be putting the 3 in track form over the off-months, and wanted to poll the group to see what's worked in your experience. I spoke with Dundon at length, and they obviously have incredible setups that will work. I'll aim to get their entire kit eventually, but my first priority will be safety (buckets + cage), so I may be a bit delayed on the full Dundon goodies.

With that in mind, would love to hear what people have found to be a good balance of sound, performance, and cost.

Thanks!

Edit - Of note, I still have stock side mufflers to add back if needed, together with a SW center bypass.

Last edited by jreifler; 12-07-2022 at 05:42 PM.

Popular Reply

04-13-2023, 07:25 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

I’m finally circling back on this thread with the setup I ultimately went with.

Supersprint long tube headers with test pipes in place of cats. For now, paired with a stock center section. I went from Cargraphics long tube / catted with a Franken-Sharkwerks track exhaust rear section to this. That setup was bonkers loud. Couldn’t pass sound at NCM (or anywhere else), and my ears were beleaguered after a year of that setup. Also wanted some more flexibility on rear section choices.

Took about 6 weeks lead time from Italy. Was somewhat confused on unboxing, as the headers were all individual tubes, and I was expecting them welded to a mounting plate as shown on SS’s website. They also included an extraneous bag of hardware that had no application for what I ordered.

Ultimately didn’t matter, and once the headers were paired with the collector, install was a breeze. The design is elegant and the welds are gorgeous. Top notch craftsmanship, as others have noted.

So far, this system has a much cleaner, higher-pitched, “pure” sound. It’s (relatively) quiet at idle and under gentle throttle. Nice depth and burble at lower RPMs when stabbed, and screams pretty meanly at WOT. Reminds me of an S54 note when really hammering. I can hear much more of the mechanical murmurs now that were previously just drowned out. It’s nice. Can actually tool around town in it without wincing and scaring the **** out of everyone.

Still only on my second drive of any length, but I can tell it lost some mid-range power and torque with the stock rear center from the old straight pipe setup. Not a ton, though. Low end feels a little stronger, and top end screams the way it did before. Pics, revs, and flyby below.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:03 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I can't be helpful but do you by chance have the Cargraphics xpipe? I saw a video and it sounds fantastic. If you do and plan to part with it, please let me know.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:05 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avid
I can't be helpful but do you by chance have the Cargraphics xpipe? I saw a video and it sounds fantastic. If you do and plan to part with it, please let me know.
No XPipe. It's just headers into the Sharkwerks track exhaust rear section.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 07:38 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I run Cup Car headers with custom installed 200 HJS cats (so similar to your Cargraphic set up)....this feeds into a SuperSprint rear muffler kit (so my side mufflers are deleted). The sound is excellent, louder than stock, but much less than a SW Track set up. I find it streetable too. The muffler weights about 28lbs, but is much stouter than the OEM units.......PM me for more info if you need to.

The cost of the SSprint rear muffler kit is not too bad (I purchased mine from ECS Tuning....you can buy them direct from SSprint too), compared to say a Dundon rear muffler.

Cheers
Doug N
The following 2 users liked this post by DJN:
engerman (12-09-2022), jreifler (12-07-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 01:15 AM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
No XPipe. It's just headers into the Sharkwerks track exhaust rear section.
Wow, aftermarket headers info Shark track exhaust? Dude that has to be so gloriously loud haha I have track exhaust into stock headers, and that’s loud, but so good

Is there a way to have those downward angled sound pipes attached to your exhaust outlets?

Last edited by flat6fan18; 12-08-2022 at 01:16 AM.
Robocop305 (12-30-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 09:57 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flat6fan18
Wow, aftermarket headers info Shark track exhaust? Dude that has to be so gloriously loud haha I have track exhaust into stock headers, and that’s loud, but so good

Is there a way to have those downward angled sound pipes attached to your exhaust outlets?
Lol. Yeah, it's a lot. The sound is just incredible, but at this point, I'm wearing earplugs for drives of any length. So, not exactly practical.

Turn-downs wouldn't help much. I have a pair that I fabricated with internal muffling / silencers that I have to use on my GT4. That gets me under sound by a fraction, but probably also chokes power a bit. And it wouldn't be enough on the 3.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:37 AM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 169 Posts

I have JCR Ti ultra light race pipes (silenced). With stock headers it was loud but livable with only slight drone on the freeway. Now with headers and 200cel cats it's pretty brutal. It sounds amazing and screams on WOT but i may go def sooner because of it. Have been debating doing side deletes and OEM Ti muffler but im hesitant because i hear all of the cracking issues.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:59 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

For me its:
-stock headers
-stock cats
-Fabspeed link pipes (side delete)
-RSS center section

Can comfortably cruise and its no worse than stock (just keep it around 3k rpm) and when on it there's more noise for sure, but its not shrill or overbearing.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:00 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788
I have JCR Ti ultra light race pipes (silenced). With stock headers it was loud but livable with only slight drone on the freeway. Now with headers and 200cel cats it's pretty brutal. It sounds amazing and screams on WOT but i may go def sooner because of it. Have been debating doing side deletes and OEM Ti muffler but im hesitant because i hear all of the cracking issues.
Stock center section with aftermarket everything else will most definitely grenade the muffler.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:01 PM
nle
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 122 Posts

SW bypass (or any bypass) is the best mod if you are strictly looking for sound, and it’s cost effective.

Dundon headers and loud muffler is what I’m running now. It’s a really nice bump in power and sound without any drone. This set up brings up the volume and oomph another notch over the SW bypass that was previous on the car. The volume is also increased down low in the rpm band and has a nice muscular rumble cruising around town.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:07 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nle
SW bypass (or any bypass) is the best mod if you are strictly looking for sound, and it’s cost effective.

Dundon headers and loud muffler is what I’m running now. It’s a really nice bump in power and sound without any drone. This set up brings up the volume and oomph another notch over the SW bypass that was previous on the car. The volume is also increased down low in the rpm band and has a nice muscular rumble cruising around town.
Right, but what about passing sound on tracks with limits? I've bypassed everything, which I'll have to walk back a bit to find a solution for sound limit tracks.

Dundon says your setup with Quiet Tips will work (or maybe only with Quiet muffler).

Do the valves help much on yours ?
Old 12-08-2022, 07:12 PM
nle
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Right, but what about passing sound on tracks with limits? I've bypassed everything, which I'll have to walk back a bit to find a solution for sound limit tracks.

Dundon says your setup with Quiet Tips will work (or maybe only with Quiet muffler).

Do the valves help much on yours ?
Quiet Laguna style tips will allow this setup to pass all 103-105db days. The sound at WOT is actually just a bit louder than WOT with SW bypass. My valves are still active but it doesn’t do a whole lot.
jreifler (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 07:15 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nle
Quiet Laguna style tips will allow this setup to pass all 103-105db days. The sound at WOT is actually just a bit louder than WOT with SW bypass. My valves are still active but it doesn’t do a whole lot.
Cool. That sounds like the ultimate ticket then. Too bad I could buy a set of buckets for what this exhaust will cost . . .

Anyone tried FVD stuff ?
Old 12-08-2022, 07:23 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

I loved how my bypass sounded when I had it, but I blew sound at Thunderhill and Sonoma. Stock mufflers for me.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:26 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

$150 (I probably over-paid) and relatively easy to swap out. Dropped me from a 97db black flag with stock exhaust to no issues on 91 days at Laguna, even after switching to a speedtech.

Quick Reply: Track / Street Exhaust Setups