Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rattling/ clunking front left side 997.1 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 11:34 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by norwegen911
The pasm dampers are quite expensive. Is it possible to rebuild these?
I had the same noise and in fact, it was the pasm dampers. After a few attempts to get the OEM from Porsche we made the decision to replace all four with the MCS units. The car feels perfect. I lost the ability to just push a button BUT, everything is easily adjustable.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:37 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 117 Posts

How did you get rid of the error code?
Old 03-31-2022, 11:03 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dave292
How did you get rid of the error code?
Short answer is my mechanic did some programming. The sport mode still works.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:27 AM
DJWGT3
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Goodmorning- haven't introduced myself proprely, but have been checking rennlist voor 3 yrs now. Owner of a 2007 GT3 meteorgrey comfortspec, 48K miles. Living in the Netherlands.

I am having the same rattling and knocking trouble (and i mean EXACTLY) since a couple of months norwegen911.

In two weeks the GT3 is off to the porsche classic center in Heteren for maintenance en to sort this problem out- I'll keep the results and post them here for need.

Kind regards Dirk
The following users liked this post:
andrewgt3 (04-19-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:43 AM
DJWGT3
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Update: The problem is indeed the PASM damper, after heating up from driving (the coolant hoses are near that position too) the damper is not able to smooth the travel out anymore causing the spring (H&R) to make the grinding / knocking sounds.

At first they were suggesting te top mount (domlager) but after some lubrication, no difference.

So, problem solved so far. Estimate in NL is 1200,- euros in total.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:38 AM
norwegen911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Many thanks for answer. I had my car two times at two different porsche mechanics. They cannot find any problem in the front after normal troubleshooting. They lubricated the swaybar bushings, no change.

So I was thinking I would eliminate other stuff like drop links, coffin arms, tuning forks by injecting oil into the balljoints? How can I lubricate the top mounts?

Old 10-28-2022, 12:43 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

Injecting oil into those bushings won't solve anything, nor do I think those are the likely source of the noise. If those bushings are bad, you just need to replace them. They're rubber and can wear out / deteriorate.

I'm with the others who suggest it's very likely a damper issue. And they can be rebuilt, but that's probably not cheaper than a replacement unit.

Obviously worth getting the car in the air and double-checking / tightening all suspension and steering components to spec. Also check that there are no loose / unfastened plastic bits - especially brake cooling ducts (which will also make that exact sound if loose).
The following 2 users liked this post by jreifler:
googone20 (03-02-2023), The Mick (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 01:43 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I had pretty much the same noise in my 2007 GT3.

We changed control arms and the noise went away 90%, 10% remaining went away with some lubrication but came back after a while. My dealer said it was rubber parts going bad on the suspension.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:25 PM
norwegen911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
I had pretty much the same noise in my 2007 GT3.

https://youtube.com/shorts/anlBIOePw-M?feature=share

We changed control arms and the noise went away 90%, 10% remaining went away with some lubrication but came back after a while. My dealer said it was rubber parts going bad on the suspension.
Did you change lower control arms? Did your noise only come when car was warm after some drive?

The noise in my car is not like that when turning the steering wheel. Its also there while driving slow straight
Old 10-28-2022, 02:30 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by norwegen911
Did you change lower control arms? Did your noise only come when car was warm after some drive?

The noise in my car is not like that when turning the steering wheel. Its also there while driving slow straight
Yes, lower control arms.
The noise was only present when the car was warm, yes.

At the beginning the sound was not so directly related to the steering input, it evolved from what I see on your videos to what you see on the one I posted.

I hope that info helps at least to rule out another possible cause.

Last edited by juanpablo046; 10-28-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 04:34 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Doesn’t billstien make a pasm compatible set of coil overs that is plug an play? Probably the cheapest “OEM” solution vs. rebuilding or new stuff via Porsche.

Of course there are higher performance options if you wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade but seem to recall that kit was very reasonably priced.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:08 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 785 Likes on 444 Posts

I left you an overly detailed DM about lubing the top mount spherical bearing. I am interested in if it will work. I mentioned this in other threads but if the top mounts are even a little off, they rattle. Don't do what I did but out of frustration, I just put some bicycle chain lube in there and it fixed the problem for over 2 years and multiple road trips + daily work drives with tons of speed bumps and hellish LA roads/driveways/obstacles. I even have to drive the car a lot off road in gravel/dirt/mixed surfaces. I assume other people on here have strong lubepinions.

I got this idea from Tyson Schmidt after the Eibach guys and PRO (tyson's shop) tried to replicate the rattle to no avail. Also, before install, Glenn Yee tore the coilovers down, inspected them, bench tested the springs and dampers, and then rebuilt them before PRO installed them, so I know they were good. HOUSE also looked over the suspension when it first got a rattle and could not replicate the sound or diagnose it. All shops did what you would expect. They lifted the car up and shook everything really good to try to get it to rattle + checking all the torque specs and etc. Both shops also went on longer test drives but no issue was obvious. Tyson said it was probably the top mounts because the bearing is so sensitive after inspecting everything, so the bike chain lube was my last frustrated attempt before tearing down the suspension and just starting over.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:06 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I left you an overly detailed DM about lubing the top mount spherical bearing. I am interested in if it will work. I mentioned this in other threads but if the top mounts are even a little off, they rattle. Don't do what I did but out of frustration, I just put some bicycle chain lube in there and it fixed the problem for over 2 years and multiple road trips + daily work drives with tons of speed bumps and hellish LA roads/driveways/obstacles. I even have to drive the car a lot off road in gravel/dirt/mixed surfaces. I assume other people on here have strong lubepinions.
I'm interested - can you post some photos of your method?
Old 10-31-2022, 08:45 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 785 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewgt3
I'm interested - can you post some photos of your method?
It is seriously just out of frustration that I did this. I just put lube in the top mounts where the bearing thingy is and the rattling stopped.
this is the best pic. I can find of the part alone. I put some lube in it 2 or so years ago and it has not returned.

from ECS.
I am not saying do as I did but I am saying, before you spend money, try lubing this part in the cup where the hard bearing is. I think the normal carreras do not have hard bearings here. The GT3 does. IF the part is failing or is off at all, it rattles and clunks.

BTW, at least 2 times a week, it takes me an hour or so to drive to work 20 miles on LA Freeways, so I have A LOT of time to listen and obsess over ANY little sounds my car might make. 🥵🥵🥵

Last edited by jamesinger; 10-31-2022 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
f50nut (11-07-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 07:26 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

Tractive Shocks are another option. I have them on my 2007 RS, and am very happy with them (I also am using the DCM shock controller and accelerometer). Not cheap, but far better quality and performance than the oem Bllsteins.

Quick Reply: Rattling/ clunking front left side 997.1 gt3