Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Broken drivers axle, other side inoperable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021 | 11:04 PM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Broken drivers axle, other side inoperable?

Broke the drivers rear axle on my GT2. Where it snapped there is grease all over and it still spins at the shaft. Is there a technical reason why the car wouldn't still move as a 1-wheel drive on the passenger/opposite rear axle?

Here is what's puzzling me....
Manual transmission, in gear, clutch all the way out and the car doesn't stall. Any ideas as to why? I'd think the passenger side axle would spin the passenger rear wheel. I thought maybe it was stability/Traction control thinking the drivers rear is 'hooking' because its just spinning at the break so I turned those off and it still doesn't engage the passenger side. Something to do with the LSD?

Ideas? Parts on order and may be awhile.

Old 06-24-2021 | 11:30 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

if your lsd is factory, it could be worn out. i don't remember 100% but i think we only have limited traction with a wheel completely in the air. might be a combo of the two. if you are buying an axle make sure it is new and not reman. if you buy a used one, make sure to match the sides it came off. the job itself is not difficult

The following 2 users liked this post by ngng:
keepupp (06-25-2021), SupraSaiyan (06-25-2021)
Old 06-24-2021 | 11:36 PM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
if your lsd is factory, it could be worn out. i don't remember 100% but i think we only have limited traction with a wheel completely in the air. might be a combo of the two. if you are buying an axle make sure it is new and not reman. if you buy a used one, make sure to match the sides it came off. the job itself is not difficult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3gyXtcjqQs
Thanks for the install link. I ordered 2 brand new oem axles from getporscheparts.com. Figured I may as well do both sides. They said only 1 was showing available in the U.S. and the 2nd would have to be sourced from Germany.

As an aside, the car has 16k miles but its certainly possible something else is broken too like the LSD
Old 06-24-2021 | 11:51 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by keepupp
Thanks for the install link. I ordered 2 brand new oem axles from getporscheparts.com. Figured I may as well do both sides. They said only 1 was showing available in the U.S. and the 2nd would have to be sourced from Germany.

As an aside, the car has 16k miles but its certainly possible something else is broken too like the LSD
you should be good then!

the OEM diffs are notorious for wearing out. you can check to breakaway torque to verify
The following users liked this post:
keepupp (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 12:35 AM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Was reviewing the original window sticker and see that this car has a locking diff vs an LSD. Not sure if that is the reason the car doesnt stall but wanted to make note of that. Perhaps the car doesnt stall because the diff is unlocked and the same amount of force is being applied to both axles and since the broken side isnt putting load to the tires it just spins. Stab in the dark
Old 06-25-2021 | 10:33 AM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Your LSD clutch plates are worn out so you basically have an open diff. As a result, powers is only going to the wheel with least residence, which in your case is the broken axle. There is no power being sent to the other wheel.
The factory LSDs are a joke. Mine (GT3) "failed" before the car even reached 5k miles and had zero track use, but during normal driving I feel no difference so I just continue to use the car as is. Just be sure you do regular trans oil changes. You will see a ton of friction disk material drain out with the oil from the worn LSD clutch plates.

Last edited by GlenGT3; 06-25-2021 at 10:35 AM.
keepupp (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 10:54 AM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
Your LSD clutch plates are worn out so you basically have an open diff. As a result, powers is only going to the wheel with least residence, which in your case is the broken axle. There is no power being sent to the other wheel.
The factory LSDs are a joke. Mine (GT3) "failed" before the car even reached 5k miles and had zero track use, but during normal driving I feel no difference so I just continue to use the car as is. Just be sure you do regular trans oil changes. You will see a ton of friction disk material drain out with the oil from the worn LSD clutch plates.
That is very good info to know. Is it worth upgrading to a new LSD while the axles are being replaced? This car wont be tracked
Old 06-25-2021 | 11:09 AM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by keepupp
That is very good info to know. Is it worth upgrading to a new LSD while the axles are being replaced? This car wont be tracked
My personal opinion: NO.
You will not miss the LSD on the street unless you drive in an extremely aggressive manner. I've been driving mine with the worn clutch pack (no LSD) for years and I can't feel the difference. If anything, I think the car has slightly better turn in under power, since it tends to push less.
Others may have different opinions.
keepupp (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 11:57 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 286 Posts

OP, are you running stock power or is your car modified? And did you do lots of hard launches and with sticky tires? I would be interested in seeing a picture of the failed axle to see the exact kind of fracture/failure.

FWIW: I was a 17 year 996GT2 owner and 12 years 997GT2 and tracked but not abused both cars. I have heard of axle failure, but never a total fracture on the street without a story.
And yes, you should upgrade your LSD as you go back in to get this repaired. Driving a high torque GT2 without LSD makes no sense to me, buy a different car.
Old 06-25-2021 | 12:44 PM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
OP, are you running stock power or is your car modified? And did you do lots of hard launches and with sticky tires? I would be interested in seeing a picture of the failed axle to see the exact kind of fracture/failure.

FWIW: I was a 17 year 996GT2 owner and 12 years 997GT2 and tracked but not abused both cars. I have heard of axle failure, but never a total fracture on the street without a story.
And yes, you should upgrade your LSD as you go back in to get this repaired. Driving a high torque GT2 without LSD makes no sense to me, buy a different car.
Car is modified w/list of mods below. 3 tunes on 93 running anywhere from 500rwhp to about 680 but on the lowest setting at the time of the failure. The break occurred on the street at the top of 2nd gear which is puzzling to me. Perhaps it's a case of poor re-installation when the mods were done. Do you have a recommend aftermarket LSD?

Porsche/Champion Motorsports/68mm Billet VTG Turbos
CMS Intercoolers
Bosch fuel injectors
Werks1 Carbon intake plenum
Porsche 82mm throttle body
Porsche intake manifold
Werks1 Carbon turbo inlet pipes
Werks1 Carbon Y-pipe (intercooler to throttle body)
GMG racing triple carbon clutch
AWE Stainless Headers
Burns Stainless exhaust and AWE double wall satin black tips
BMC Turbo air filter
GIAC ECU tunes (3)
Old 06-25-2021 | 03:27 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,133 Posts

[QUOTE=keepupp;17514366 Do you have a recommend aftermarket LSD?[/QUOTE]

Guard GT2 Pro. I've used this for several seasons of 100% track use on a 780whp race application.. It's been flawless... I wouldn't look elsewhere... I've never broken an axle but change them out for new every other year.
keepupp (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 03:39 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 286 Posts

I was guessing that your car was highly modded for lots more power, and that is probably why you broke the axle. “Damage” accumulates over time, and eventually causes the stress fatigue/fracture(?); I’d be interested in seeing the picture. I have a feeling multiple hard launches or runs and with sticky tires eventually caused the final blow.

I didn’t modify my GT2 other than brake pads, tires, alignment, and eventually the Guards GT2 diff…but @powdrhound is the better guy to answer as he knows turbo power like this.
keepupp (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 04:24 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 321 Posts

So my guess on your other thread was correct
This happened to me when I was 14-after the car wouldn't move, a friend helped me tow the car up the hill with a rope, I coasted the car back into the garage and played dumb. My dad had the car repaired. Ashamed of things I did at that age, no doubt-
That's why I said to take a look at the driveshafts.

JB

Last edited by JB911; 06-25-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2021 | 06:55 PM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB911
So my guess on your other thread was correct
This happened to me when I was 14-after the car wouldn't move, a friend helped me tow the car up the hill with a rope, I coasted the car back into the garage and played dumb. My dad had the car repaired. Ashamed of things I did at that age, no doubt-
That's why I said to take a look at the driveshafts.

JB
You were correct 100%.

Ha, towed the car up the hill with a rope, lol. I took my dads 1988 Supra Turbo out for a joyride and took the targa top off and it started to downpour. I put the roof in place but didnt secure it down. At about 50mph it went flying end or end and landed right side up but would never install easily from then on out. 'Dad, it's weird the top worked fine yesterday....' Kids are D*cks. For that reason I have 3 cameras in the garage, lol. I have 3 kids

Old 06-25-2021 | 06:58 PM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Guard GT2 Pro. I've used this for several seasons of 100% track use on a 780whp race application.. It's been flawless... I wouldn't look elsewhere... I've never broken an axle but change them out for new every other year.
I will get one while it's apart. Any preferred vendor? I see Champion Motorsport has them. Once I get the car back in the air I will share pics of the damage

Quick Reply: Broken drivers axle, other side inoperable?