Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

BAT bidding, comments and general observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 11:21 AM
Steve2k1116
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

Being someone that has bought and sold on BAT a few times, I do not think I would buy a car of that cost (997RS money) on the platform. The cheaper cars sure but at that sum I would much rather just do it on my own or let Doug handle it. Just my personal opinion. But if you really want to try the strategy doesn't really matter, there are few real buyers in the room at this price point and they know everything you do about the market etc. Pick your price for that particular car and do what you can to get it. Best of luck!
Old 04-26-2021, 11:37 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 824 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
If your'e paying bat to list it and they also get paid when it sells, why do they feel the need to tell you what you can and can't make on the item?
Makes no sense, but the same poster said the comments section are insightful there, so... That said, BAT should not be the example of the market as a whole. This is reminiscent of the 70s mopar craze and barret jackson.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:52 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by mdosu
I The biggest variable IMO is auction end days/times. BaT assigns it themselves and as a bidder, you might luck out on a Saturday afternoon end time where there's less eyeballs. .

When I sold one car in 2019.
I was able to choose start end time+/- 3 hours and day of week.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:16 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I wonder what the best ending day and time is. I guess maybe 2pm Pacific? That way you may not have people commuting.

I'm putting my 2012 GTS coupe 6 speed w/ 23k miles up and I know I can sell it for a high dollar on BAT but can't guess what. It doesn't have leather or a ton of options, but it's about as mint as can be. The only other coupe up for sale right now is $115k and has 21k miles. And another for $120k. 997 GTS search

What do you thin?
Old 04-27-2021, 01:58 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

2012 is that the 991? There aren't any for sale right now. Crazy times.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:13 AM
CylinderHead
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you guys think the best and worst BaT auction end day and time is for the seller? Are weekends generally better than weekdays, as buyers won’t be busy with “life”?
Old 04-27-2021, 01:26 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

I don't think days and times matter as much. Sold 2 cars on BaT, one underperformed, and one slightly outperformed vs. where I thought they would end up. Great experience if you're on the sell side. The platform has tremendous reach and great potential to generate record sale figures. I've seen multiple examples of cars that were listed on the major car sites for months on end, at much lower prices, until the very same sellers (dealers and private parties) listed them on BaT and ended up selling them for thousands or tens of thousands more. This is good when you're selling, not favorable if you're buying, generally speaking. Yes, there are exceptions, but I would say they're rare.

I also think cars like these are not typically bought on an impulse, so there is plenty of lead time for potential serious bidders to work the auction into their schedule to ensure they are there to bid at the end. Those jokers that always post "oh … wish I wasn't on the phone when it ended" or "wish my boss didn't walk in on me jacking off" or the likes aren't really serious buyers anyway.

What will make the biggest difference is good pictures - this really can't be emphasized enough. Both cars I sold were bought sight unseen. No one ever came to look at them. I would venture to guess that 99% of bidding is done solely on pictures and description, with some consideration given to user comments (clueless and troll comments included - it is what it is, can't have it all). The other wildcard, and the most important, like any other auction, is who happens to be in the market, and looking for that car while your car is listed. I would sell there again, but probably would look elsewhere to buy if I wanted to find value.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:07 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

If I'm looking at a car and someone tells me it's going on BAT, I always think well there goes that.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:44 AM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CylinderHead
What do you guys think the best and worst BaT auction end day and time is for the seller? Are weekends generally better than weekdays, as buyers won’t be busy with “life”?
Buyers are not getting groceries.. if we are talking about cars like ours, if you really want one you will adjust your life to get the car. Final price is a function of 100s of factors.. time of the listing and bidding strategy is like #70 in that list.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:34 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I wonder what the best ending day and time is. I guess maybe 2pm Pacific? That way you may not have people commuting.

I'm putting my 2012 GTS coupe 6 speed w/ 23k miles up and I know I can sell it for a high dollar on BAT but can't guess what. It doesn't have leather or a ton of options, but it's about as mint as can be. The only other coupe up for sale right now is $115k and has 21k miles. And another for $120k. 997 GTS search

What do you thin?
I was shopping 997.2 GTS' while shopping 997.1 GT3s. Good examples such as yours were $100-$120k ask. Selling damn close to those numbers, from what I could tell. I think the GTS is a great platform, but for the same money, 997.1 GT3 is the better buy, IMO. That said, I think there is a large group that values the slightly more civilized nature of the GTS, and the fat-*** exclusivity plus streaming audio via updated PCM.
The following users liked this post:
TheSilverFox (04-30-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:30 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

How long will this madness continue? Any guesses?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:16 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
My theory is that it'll continue until life returns to normal plus X number of months for everyone that bought toys during the pandemic who'd normally not own such a toy, to realize they don't use their toy and begin to offload them en masse. Prices may dip at that point or they may plummet.

I don't think true car guys are all of a sudden clutching their pearls and not willing to move on to the next toy, so this is a demand increase, not a drop in supply. That means, to me, you have new entrants into the market and the question is if you believe they'll become car guys (or gals) too. If not, then you'll have an oversupply issue down the road.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:20 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
As long as assets are appreciating rapidly, real estate, stock market, bitcoin etc. As well as not spending much money during Covid, people have seen their investments increase significantly and quickly. People are feeling flush these days and are spending. Government shoveling trillions on the fire doesn’t hurt either.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:37 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanH.
My theory is that it'll continue until life returns to normal plus X number of months for everyone that bought toys during the pandemic who'd normally not own such a toy, to realize they don't use their toy and begin to offload them en masse. Prices may dip at that point or they may plummet.

I don't think true car guys are all of a sudden clutching their pearls and not willing to move on to the next toy, so this is a demand increase, not a drop in supply. That means, to me, you have new entrants into the market and the question is if you believe they'll become car guys (or gals) too. If not, then you'll have an oversupply issue down the road.

But rich guys didnt get stimulus check... i guess stock market went up and they are buying cars with that extra money?
Old 04-30-2021, 11:50 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

PPP

Quick Reply: BAT bidding, comments and general observations