Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The carbon fiber trim headache on my 2007 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 04:44 PM
Seanpat21
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The carbon fiber trim headache on my 2007 GT3 RS

Hey gang, it’s been a while. I’m the guy who bought the low mileage RS (Black with orange accents) from Marshall Goldman a while back. At that point it had 4,500 miles. It now has 8,500. Been enjoying it when I’m in town (I split my time between Los Angeles and New Orleans), and it’s been mechanically bombproof. But, all at once I started noticing the carbon fiber trim inside begin to warp, peel, and the center piece (next to the e-brake) recently just cracked on its own. I’ve reached out to a few folks I was hoping might have some insight, as I know this is a fairly common issue, but no one has had any luck suggesting someone who could repair/replace this pieces. It’s really a bummer because the car is in fantastic condition, has so few miles, but then has this ****ty stuff going on with the interior. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!! 🙏
Old 04-06-2021, 05:04 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Mine also has a few CF trim pieces that are starting to warp. I'm going to try gluing them together before I spend the money on new pieces.
The following users liked this post:
Seanpat21 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 05:13 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

The factory carbon center console will warp and crack. It's a matter of when, not if. I've had them replaced 3 times on 2 different 997s, twice under warranty. If you notice it early on you can try glueing which will extend the life of it a little, but it's a band aid and only prolongs the inevitable. If the car sits in the heat, the console will crack.

There are aftermarket carbon manufacturers, I tired a couple - one from Taiwan and one from Germany, the quality of the work was sub par on both and I returned them.

I finally gave up on carbon, found a $150 used console, had it painted body color and no longer have to deal with the crappy OEM console or worry about parking the car in the sun.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:23 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I had similar issue with mine and had a friend re glue the pieces together. On mine. Cigarette lighter cover, sides near the rear and the cup holder peeled off. But no cracking.

Then I got 2011 Black and it had leather console. Im so happy it did. No more worrying. If you can’t glue the pieces, get a new piece and either paint or leather wrap it.
Seanpat21 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Seanpat21
Advanced

Originally Posted by ilko
The factory carbon center console will warp and crack. It's a matter of when, not if. I've had them replaced 3 times on 2 different 997s, twice under warranty. If you notice it early on you can try glueing which will extend the life of it a little, but it's a band aid and only prolongs the inevitable. If the car sits in the heat, the console will crack.

There are aftermarket carbon manufacturers, I tired a couple - one from Taiwan and one from Germany, the quality of the work was sub par on both and I returned them.

I finally gave up on carbon, found a $150 used console, had it painted body color and no longer have to deal with the crappy OEM console or worry about parking the car in the sun.
This sounds highly discouraging. Lol. I take it there’s no way to get replacement CF interior trim from Porsche? And even if I did replace the console with a non-CF piece, there’s a ton more all over the interior. This is highly depressing. I rarely have the car in the sun, but can’t prevent it at all times of course. And of course, I can’t stop obsessively looking at all the imperfections. 🤪
Old 04-06-2021, 05:29 PM
Seanpat21
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Greek
I had similar issue with mine and had a friend re glue the pieces together. On mine. Cigarette lighter cover, sides near the rear and the cup holder peeled off. But no cracking.

Then I got 2011 Black and it had leather console. Im so happy it did. No more worrying. If you can’t glue the pieces, get a new piece and either paint or leather wrap it.
Yeah, I was feeling optimistic about having someone heat up the pieces, fixing the warping, and then re-gluing, but the cracking is really a bummer. I’ll have to look into options with interior guys here in LA, or get really dark tint so no one sees.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:30 PM
Seanpat21
Advanced

Originally Posted by EMpunker
Mine also has a few CF trim pieces that are starting to warp. I'm going to try gluing them together before I spend the money on new pieces.
Wishing you the best of luck!
EMpunker (04-06-2021)

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2021, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 53 Posts

Look into DB Carbon's replacement parts. I have many of their carbon parts in my GT3 and the quality is far superior to the OEM carbon Porsche used in the 997 generation cars. It always seems to yellow, crack, or delaminate over time. The DB Carbon parts are perfect and are an extact match to OEM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 405:
EMpunker (04-06-2021), pissedpuppy (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 05:54 PM
Seanpat21
Advanced

Originally Posted by 405
Look into DB Carbon's replacement parts. I have many of their carbon parts in my GT3 and the quality is far superior to the OEM carbon Porsche used in the 997 generation cars. It always seems to yellow, crack, or delaminate over time. The DB Carbon parts are perfect and are an extact match to OEM.
Thanks so much! I was hoping someone might have a line on some quality replacements. I just went to their website, and will have to dive deeper when I have some more time. Thanks again!!!
Old 04-06-2021, 06:09 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,294 Posts

What sucks is that .2 RS’s (3.8 and 4.0) came standard with the carbon fiber trim such as the cup holders and very few people optioned these pieces for a different material. Is the warping, cracking, or delaminating common for the exposed carbon wing or door sills?

Last edited by RapidGT; 04-06-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:09 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 268 Posts

yep, same issue here in the massive center console CF trim. Cost to replace was ~5K. Had CPO take care of it! I basically don't touch the center console anymore lol

supposedly, the "upgraded" factory CF trim is better than the 2010/2011 CF....I was told this but it looks exactly the same to me so who knows

Last edited by neurotic; 04-06-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Seanpat21 (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 06:22 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 255 Posts

I have had OE Porsche cupholder trim and dashboard/defogger trim on order since September. This just reminded me to call PNH and check where it is (and they're digging, so that's not encouraging).

Long story short, Porsche has replaced OE supplier, which is the reason for the backorder.

Unclear if it was a quality issue or not.

That said, whenever it shows up, it's coming from the new supplier, so will see how well it matches and long term durable.

Last edited by atlrvr; 04-06-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanpat21
This sounds highly discouraging. Lol. I take it there’s no way to get replacement CF interior trim from Porsche? And even if I did replace the console with a non-CF piece, there’s a ton more all over the interior. This is highly depressing. I rarely have the car in the sun, but can’t prevent it at all times of course. And of course, I can’t stop obsessively looking at all the imperfections. 🤪
You can buy the OEM piece again, but it's just a matter of time...

What other trim pieces are delaminating? I have a ton of CF all over the interior and everything other than the console is still perfect.

Originally Posted by 405
That's the German manufacturer I used for replacement. Ended up returning it after he fought me tooth & nail...
Old 04-06-2021, 06:57 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,050 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
You can buy the OEM piece again, but it's just a matter of time...

What other trim pieces are delaminating? I have a ton of CF all over the interior and everything other than the console is still perfect.

That's the German manufacturer I used for replacement. Ended up returning it after he fought me tooth & nail...
Did you have issues with the product from DB? Just curious as that is what I ordered and the process to order was smooth and while I have not installed the product yet as my car just came out of storage, I'm planning to soon.

Regarding the peeling carbon, I've seen the carbon/leather defrost trim peel and warp. Have seen the cupholders and center console have issues too. I'd expect to replace it either with aftermarket carbon, leather, or painted.

The OEM pieces from Porsche are cost prohibitive.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:03 PM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 125 Posts

Here I was being kind of bummed out my 997.1 RS didn't have carbon trim. Maybe it was for the best.
Seanpat21 (04-06-2021)

Quick Reply: The carbon fiber trim headache on my 2007 GT3 RS