Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Style door pulls, again. I know.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 05:15 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Default RS Style door pulls, again. I know.....

Ok before everyone gets on me for rehashing a topic that's been discussed, hear me out as I'm looking to update the interior of my car with some RS pulls along with a few other goodies. Also suspension is in the works but that's for another thread.

We all know that OEM door pulls can run up to $650, not even talking about the install which is a process. Then we have the RS style where the housing moves with the strap. These are about $200 and they are kinda cheap in the fact that they look like some 3D printed hollow shell with a piece of fabric attached. Gets the job done and looks good when stationary.

Noticeable differences are obvious but there is one difference that nobody has mentioned, until now. The OEM pulls have the fabric exiting from the back part of the handle. The Ebay replica's have the fabric exiting from the front part of the housing. I think that it's necessary to facilitate the leverage needed to pull that housing.

OEM - $645 at Suncoast

Ebay Knockoffs - $200

I would have been happy with the knock offs until I noticed this. Now here's where things get confusing. Clima Repair sells these and it appears that the fabric is exiting from the rear of the handle. That is, until you look at the different colors available, where the fabric is once again exiting from the front of the handle. They are pricy, nearly twice as much as the knock off so I'm trying to ascertain if they are truly different that the Ebay knockoffs. If they are truly exiting from the rear and not the front. If they are a solid piece and not hollow.

I have reached out to Clima Repair and maybe they will see this thread and can explain to help the Rennlist community understand how theirs differs from both the OEM and ebay knockoffs.

Thoughts?

Clima Repair RS door pulls
Clima Repair main picture

Clima Repair color selection picture:

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 12-10-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 53 Posts

To me, in the picture of the Climarepair option installed in the car, it looks like they photoshopped the screw out of the OEM piece of trim. Look on their site and zoom in and I'm confident that is what they did.

Their color selection photo is probably representative of what you would get. For that price I would go OEM for a couple hundred $$ more. The install isn't bad!

Edit: Some tips from my install with the OEM Suncoast kit: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16562507

Last edited by 405; 12-10-2020 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:21 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

man, I want those OE door pulls but there's no way I'd attempt to install

I get really challenged when tools are put in my hands!
Md11skipper (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:40 PM
ky_gt3
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 28 Posts

Like 405 said the Climarepair main pic is the OEM RS pull with the screw blended out. You can tell the crevice between the main picture and color selections picture are very different too

I installed my OEM RS door pulls a while back and it really isn't difficult at all, it maybe took me 2 hours to do both doors with no issues.
https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...r-pulls-387182

Old 12-10-2020, 07:25 PM
TuonoR
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Look for cayman R door cards. They bolt right on, cost less (as take-offs) than the suncoast kit and then you don't have to modify your stock door cards. I paid $600 for mine years ago but a set were listed in the classifieds for $450 last month.

I have no experience with these climarepair door straps but if you search around here about the early users of their climate switches (I was one of them), I would want to wait until rev 4 or 5 until I tried a new offering from them. Certainly not a good sign that they are p-shopping out part of the assembly.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:44 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ky_gt3
Like 405 said the Climarepair main pic is the OEM RS pull with the screw blended out. You can tell the crevice between the main picture and color selections picture are very different too

I installed my OEM RS door pulls a while back and it really isn't difficult at all, it maybe took me 2 hours to do both doors with no issues.
man, if I still lived in the city i'd hit you up and attempt to bribe you to do mine!
Old 12-11-2020, 05:25 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

interesting. is that suncoast kit in stock? 987 555 382 00 broke and i called to buy a replacement. no such luck. they told me it was NLA.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-86-300-a.html
Old 12-11-2020, 05:26 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by TuonoR
Look for cayman R door cards. They bolt right on, cost less (as take-offs) than the suncoast kit and then you don't have to modify your stock door cards. I paid $600 for mine years ago but a set were listed in the classifieds for $450 last month.

I have no experience with these climarepair door straps but if you search around here about the early users of their climate switches (I was one of them), I would want to wait until rev 4 or 5 until I tried a new offering from them. Certainly not a good sign that they are p-shopping out part of the assembly.
that is a great tip ty
Old 12-11-2020, 07:28 PM
ky_gt3
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
interesting. is that suncoast kit in stock? 987 555 382 00 broke and i called to buy a replacement. no such luck. they told me it was NLA.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-86-300-a.html
Yeah it looks like it is in stock, this one?
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/DSK.html

I've had Suncoast tell me a part was NLA and I then asked Pelican Parts and they were able to source them for me. So you might want to try them so you don't have to buy the whole kit. Although I must say the solution you came up with is pretty trick, nice work!
Old 12-11-2020, 08:38 PM
ngng
Drifting

Yeah it looks like it is in stock, this one?
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/DSK.html

I've had Suncoast tell me a part was NLA and I then asked Pelican Parts and they were able to source them for me. So you might want to try them so you don't have to buy the whole kit. Although I must say the solution you came up with is pretty trick, nice work!
weird. i called two places and got the same answer and gave up. oh well, just cost me a a $25 tool lol. still better than whatever these are going for. but, will keep this in mind for the future when the other side inevitability breaks
Old 12-11-2020, 10:58 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 323 Posts

I have a set of real ones and cheap ones, and the only time you really notice them is when you open the door from within. Otherwise I'm extremely happy with my 'cheapies' in my GT2.

Here are a couple of YouTube videos I made at the time showing the differences, in case it helps you.

2008 GT2 equipped with replica door pulls:
2010 GT3 RS OEM door pulls:

The replicas are a 5 minute install that literally anyone could do, and of course cost about 1/3 to 1/4 of the price, depending on where you get your OEM versions.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:26 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

$650 sounds like a steal to get RS door pulls...mine cost me considerably more

Steve Theodore (12-12-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

i put the factory setup on my 997.1RS like 7 years ago... it was a bit of a job as you have to replace the outer trim and the piece is hot-welded so have to remove the melt and use a screw. It's not hard, just time consuming...

i like 'em, but i think the full kit was like $300 back then! The damn pulls are $$ now and i am not sure, can you even get silver anymore?

Old 12-14-2020, 03:14 AM
limitedslip
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

Last edited by limitedslip; 12-14-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Quick Reply: RS Style door pulls, again. I know.....