Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Side muffler delete: Options to keep quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 10:11 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Thanks for the feedback Ranger. I hate that no matter where you turn on these exhausts you run into a compromise somewhere. I love the sound I have now but I want the heat and weight of the side mufflers out. I guess if I have to error on the side of being slightly too quiet I will do that. Where is your drone and how bad is it? This make me think I will not be able to leave my my Fabspeed center delete on once I switch and will have to go OEM. Do we assume it will get too loud with Sharkwerks center? Now I'm think about Dundon's rear muffler delete and getting the "louder" of the two versions..
It's impossible for anyone to convey in words how you would perceive the sound, it's so personal. I believe the side mufflers primary function is to deal with the resonance that creates drone. I've read a ton of these threads and my conclusion was that removing the side mufflers would result in some droning. With my mufflerless setup, the drone is 2-3.5k RPM. As the RPMs get higher, it gets closer to sounding like it did with the side mufflers in place and a center delete. It initially took some getting used to, but I actually like it now. I haven't done any extended track days with it though. I do think it's likely that it would get old after tracking the car and then trying to drive home. I will be testing that out very soon. Good luck and please report back!
Old 01-06-2020, 02:11 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

here's another thought,.... since the goal of this thread is to lose the weight in the rear of the car, with a drone-less side delete config WHILE cruising (which in my mind, suggests using valves to quiet it down as much as possible),....
Mr Adair, have you seen any other threads (or anyone can point us to them) where the discussion is more about how drastic the difference is in the driving experience with the extra pounds GONE from the rear.
Is it really that noticeable?
Does it really make a huge difference in the handling of the car? (especially when primarily only driven on the street?,... or was that difference really recognized in only the track focused cars)

.... we have already acknowledged & recognized that HEAT dissipation is the other main advantage here, but also that the advantage is primarily gained on the track, since street driving does not create the same degrees of heat.

I ask that question MA,... because if chasing down the right config, spending the money, install time, etc etc,... provides only a marginal improvement in handling & heat,.... ... hmmmm. just playing devils advocate here.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 659 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
here's another thought,.... since the goal of this thread is to lose the weight in the rear of the car, with a drone-less side delete config WHILE cruising (which in my mind, suggests using valves to quiet it down as much as possible),....
Mr Adair, have you seen any other threads (or anyone can point us to them) where the discussion is more about how drastic the difference is in the driving experience with the extra pounds GONE from the rear.
Is it really that noticeable?
Does it really make a huge difference in the handling of the car? (especially when primarily only driven on the street?,... or was that difference really recognized in only the track focused cars)

.... we have already acknowledged & recognized that HEAT dissipation is the other main advantage here, but also that the advantage is primarily gained on the track, since street driving does not create the same degrees of heat.

I ask that question MA,... because if chasing down the right config, spending the money, install time, etc etc,... provides only a marginal improvement in handling & heat,.... ... hmmmm. just playing devils advocate here.
Totally understand that thinking. 70lbs net weight reduction is significant but I’m guessing very hard to quantify.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:02 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

bweSteve, good question. I have not noticed any change in the handling of the car(s) while driving on the street.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:36 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

are you putting a list together that shows the weight of each side-bypass (from various manufacturers) to compare against the OEM side mufflers?

I've seen varying reports of exactly how much per side the actual savings is.

is 70 lbs total savings (RH & LH) an average savings across all manufacturers?
Old 01-06-2020, 08:38 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by bweSteve
are you putting a list together that shows the weight of each side-bypass (from various manufacturers) to compare against the OEM side mufflers?

I've seen varying reports of exactly how much per side the actual savings is.

is 70 lbs total savings (RH & LH) an average savings across all manufacturers?
Sorry, pure guess. I’ll get some real numbers. We should really know the delta after removing the side mufflers and adding back in the side deletes..
Old 01-07-2020, 02:01 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 80 Posts

Based on my Fitbit weight scale, here are the weights of each stock 997.2 RS exhaust components:

22.9 lbs Side mufflers per side
10.8 lbs Ti centre muffler with tip

I went with Soul valved side muffler bypass, centre muffler bypass with single and dual wall tips. Here are the weights of each component:

4.9 lbs Valved side bypass per side
7.7 lbs Centre muffler bypass
3.2 lbs Dual wall tips
2.8 lbs Single wall tips

I currently have the dual wall tips on and my total weight saving is ~35.9 lbs. The reason it's still an approximation is Soul provides a bracket, bolts, clamps (which arrived at a later date due to adjustments) for the CMB which I forgot to weigh.

I love this set up. Exhaust sounds are very subjective. All I can say is it's loud! Deep boom on low end, then GT3 Cup rasp high end. That's the best way I can describe it. Sounds amazing to me (and to many of my friends who have heard it). Its a lot louder than my friend's RS with Cup side muffler bypass with stock Ti centre. One thing I want to add as I've told bonehead, having the valves open or closed doesn't really make much difference in terms of volume inside the cabin. If I were to do it again, I'd skip the valved side bypass and go with non-valve. I do believe having the upper pipe does reduce drone to a certain extent as opposed to only the bottom pipe ala Cup side bypass. Ask John@Soul for further info.

I highly highly recommend working with John Gaydos at Soul Performance.

Last edited by SupraSaiyan; 01-08-2020 at 03:19 AM. Reason: I recall I kept thinking GT3 Cup to describe the top end sounds, not F1.
The following users liked this post:
Fisher (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 02:19 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan
Based on my Fitbit weight scale, here are the weights of each stock 997.2 RS exhaust components:

I went with Soul valved side muffler bypass, centre muffler bypass with single and dual wall tips. Here are the weights of each component:

3.2 lbs Dual wall tips
2.8 lbs Single wall tips

I currently have the dual wall tips on and my total weight saving is ~35.9 lbs. The reason it's still an approximation is Soul provides a bracket, bolts, clamps (which arrived at a later date due to adjustments) for the CMB which I forgot to weigh.

I love this set up. Exhaust sounds are very subjective. All I can say is it's loud! Deep boom on low end, then F1 rasp high end. That's the best way I can describe it. Sounds amazing to me (and to many of my friends who have heard it). Its a lot louder than my friend's RS with Cup side muffler bypass with stock Ti centre. One thing I want to add as I've told bonehead, having the valves open or closed doesn't really make much difference in terms of volume inside the cabin. If I were to do it again, I'd skip the valved side bypass and go with non-valve. I do believe having the upper pipe does reduce drone to a certain extent as opposed to only the bottom pipe ala Cup side bypass. Ask John@Soul for further info.

Any videos?
Old 01-07-2020, 03:25 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 650kid
Any videos?
I did attempt to film videos with a Rode external mic, however, the decibels were way past the limit of the mic (110dBSPL). We placed it above the tips, above the licence plate, lower rear window, inside rear window and all the sounds are distorted on video. I haven't had time to upgrade to a better mic nor really care to. I'll upload a video filmed outside of the car where I did my initial cold start when I find it!
Old 01-07-2020, 10:25 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan

3.2 lbs Dual wall tips
2.8 lbs Single wall tips

I love this set up. Exhaust sounds are very subjective. All I can say is it's loud! Deep boom on low end, then F1 rasp high end. That's the best way I can describe it. Sounds amazing to me (and to many of my friends who have heard it). Its a lot louder than my friend's RS with Cup side muffler bypass with stock Ti centre. One thing I want to add as I've told bonehead, having the valves open or closed doesn't really make much difference in terms of volume inside the cabin. If I were to do it again, I'd skip the valved side bypass and go with non-valve. I do believe having the upper pipe does reduce drone to a certain extent as opposed to only the bottom pipe ala Cup side bypass. Ask John@Soul for further info.

Thank you for the added info Supra. This is good work...
Old 01-08-2020, 03:21 AM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Thank you for the added info Supra. This is good work...
You're welcome, I wanted to document everything before I make a post. I've got other weight saving stats coming soon
Old 01-08-2020, 10:06 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

Soul non-valved side deletes installed today. Already had the Sharkwerks center bypass. Yup, it's loud. Shop is only a few miles from my house and I took local roads, so I didn't really get to hear it sing above 4-5K RPM. Fit and finish seem to be spot on. Going to have some nasty weather here for the next 2 days, but hopefully I'll be able to run it this weekend and get a better sense of how it sounds. Delete pipes are 4lbs each and the stock side muffler is 22 lbs.

The following 3 users liked this post by bonehead:
cavlino (01-12-2020), Fisher (01-08-2020), Soul Performance (01-15-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:49 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 290 Posts

Unmuffled RS. I bet it’s L O U D
Old 01-08-2020, 10:57 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by bonehead
Soul non-valved side deletes installed today. Already had the Sharkwerks center bypass. Yup, it's loud. Shop is only a few miles from my house and I took local roads, so I didn't really get to hear it sing above 4-5K RPM. Fit and finish seem to be spot on. Going to have some nasty weather here for the next 2 days, but hopefully I'll be able to run it this weekend and get a better sense of how it sounds. Delete pipes are 4lbs each and the stock side muffler is 22 lbs.

Nice. Thanks for the pics! That thing is going to growl. Not a muffler in sight! Keep us posted...
bonehead (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:12 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Bonehead! Nice car! That's a similar setup to what I'm running. It seems LOUD at first, but i love it!
bonehead (01-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Side muffler delete: Options to keep quiet?