Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Side muffler delete: Options to keep quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Unmuffled RS. I bet it’s L O U D
I was only able to mostly putter back home during rush hour traffic, but yes, it's not for the faint of heart.

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Nice. Thanks for the pics! That thing is going to growl. Not a muffler in sight! Keep us posted...
Will do.

Originally Posted by ranger22
Bonehead! Nice car! That's a similar setup to what I'm running. It seems LOUD at first, but i love it!
I think it will always seem loud . But that's ok. I love loud cars. What setup are you running?
The following users liked this post:
SupraSaiyan (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 03:20 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

One thing to consider is the center bypass dimensions-I have the FVD(M&M) center bypass which is similar in design to the Sharkwers. The lower section of the pipe is in a straight line. Others like GMG, Soul and a few more have a progressively fatter lower pipe just before they turn towards the tips and I'd imagine it's a deeper sound. When I get around to installing valved sides with my M&M I'll end up with that kind of setup. I have the Carnewal remote for the valves, so on cold starts and until Im out of the neighborhood I'd leave the valves closed, it makes somewhat of a difference from the videos I've watched-
Old 01-09-2020, 12:39 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

But in your configuration, you still have your OEM side mufflers correct JB911 ??
.... btw, thanks again for convincing me to go with the Carnewal. I still love it, and swear by it. SO much better to creep out of my garage & off my street before I open the valves.

Ed, Thanks for posting the pics. Looks sick,... and probably sounds even better. I like loud cars too.
=Steve
Old 01-09-2020, 02:00 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Hi Steve,
I currently still have the stock sides but will be installing valved side deletes, hopefully soon. I'm selling my OEM center in case someone needs an extra one-
As for the difference in sound between center deletes, the straight type like Sharkerks, M&M etc vs GMG, Soul, BBI which is progressively fatter before exit might be the timber difference between a trumpet and flugelhorn(?)
Old 01-09-2020, 03:44 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Hi Steve,
I currently still have the stock sides but will be installing valved side deletes, hopefully soon. I'm selling my OEM center in case someone needs an extra one-
As for the difference in sound between center deletes, the straight type like Sharkerks, M&M etc vs GMG, Soul, BBI which is progressively fatter before exit might be the timber difference between a trumpet and flugelhorn(?)
I believe the progressive design of my Soul (similar to BBi and GMG) creates the deeper aggressive tone in the low to mid RPMs as compared to Sharkwerks. But in the upper rev range, it certainly changes from deep to higher pitch rasp (the good kind of rasp!). I believe most set ups will sound similar in the upper rev range with respect to the 'tone' and only the volume of that tone will differ based on set up. I went with Soul because its a mix of BBi and SW (BBi progressive pipe design, SW rear cross pipe design). And also John Gaydos is awesome!
Old 01-11-2020, 03:47 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

BTW, the new RSR with exhaust ahead of the rear wheels sounds horrible, like a vuvuzela 😂
I’ve been watching and listening on YouTube since the new car was unveiled. From what I’ve read, the side exhausts frees up the diffuser area etc. But the great sound is gone. Hopefully they’ll re engineer things and it will sound great again, like this😀:

The following 2 users liked this post by JB911:
FredtheFrog (03-05-2020), Mr. Adair (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
BTW, the new RSR with exhaust ahead of the rear wheels sounds horrible, like a vuvuzela 😂
I’ve been watching and listening on YouTube since the new car was unveiled. From what I’ve read, the side exhausts frees up the diffuser area etc. But the great sound is gone. Hopefully they’ll re engineer things and it will sound great again, like this😀:

https://youtu.be/kQ8riM4qNwE
Sounds more like a 996 RSR now. The change really improved the packaging. No longer have to run that long exhaust pipe all the way to the back of the car. But yes, that was the best ever sounding GT car IMO.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 305 Posts

Same car at the corkscrew at Rennsport. So nasty! Sorry, there was supposed to be a video attached to this comment. Oops..

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 01-19-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:04 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 286 Posts

^ Sounds just like my car - except I shift faster

lol

awesome
Old 01-11-2020, 07:21 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Need to get some flyby footage, but here are before and after cold start vids. Revs to 3-4K at the end. Let the idle drop before I goosed it. Took a spirited 100 mile drive today. And as previously suspected, it's crazy loud. My ears were ringing when I got home. It sounds great, so no plans to change back. But I'll probably have to start wearing earplugs for extended drives.

Sharkwerks center bypass only
​​​​​​

Sharkwerks center bypass + Soul side bypass
​​​​​​
rotaz (05-16-2023)
Old 01-11-2020, 11:13 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

Ok that does sound bad *** but I bet it is loud.

You are killing me having the Ford sit there and not giving us a clip of starting it and doing the same thing!
bonehead (01-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 04:04 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Ok that does sound bad *** but I bet it is loud.

You are killing me having the Ford sit there and not giving us a clip of starting it and doing the same thing!
Haha. I've got plenty of vids of my FGT on YT. This being a Porsche forum, not everyone shares my enthusiasm.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Side deletes are fine, no power loss at all when used with a factory muffler. Side Deletes should be fine on TI mufflers as well as our catted street headers are also fine on the TI mufflers.

Make sure to get valved side deletes with quality Helical valves, cheap Chinese valves are available but quality is questionable. When buying parts for $150,000 cars, you do get what you pay for....

One thing to keep in mind is sound is a pressure wave, the pressure comes from the amount of O2 and gas you can combust. So if you make more power, you make more sound. For those interested in more sound a set of our street headers gets you all of it, more power, more sound and you can use your stock muffler to get there with no drone. If you were to get our side deletes then want to upgrade to our headers, you would have to sell the side deletes as our headers are longer than factory and the factory side deletes are interchangeable with our street header side deletes.

last thing. Those looking for side deletes into a center delete, prepare for significant droning in the cabin between 2200-3200rpm (typical highway cruising speeds) and valves will make no difference as there is no muffler at that point.
------------------------
Jamie gives some great advice and makes some great Porsche 3D printed intakes. These GT3 cars are not complicated BUT there are so many choices for determining sound levels and power levels with resultant sports car sound. GT3 side muffler bypass pipes with Helical Aerospace United Kingdom Ltd. exhaust valves are a super upgrade for all these cars. Obviously as shown above in a photo Fabspeed has been making these GT3 smb pipes with/out valves but that loses PSE.

STREET RACE GT3 Lemans sports car sound track: If I had a GT3 and it was my street & mostly track car, that did not have to be emissions compliant, I would likely run GT3 long tube headers with GT3 side muffler bypass pipes with Helical exhaust valves. Fabspeed Motorsport USA is the exclusive USA imported of Helical UK Porsche OEM Tier 1 quality exhaust valves. (Fabspeed Motorsport stopped using Chinese exhaust valves over 7 years ago as they 100% break, rattle and explode- its public domain and we are still fixing replacing Chinese sandblasted exhaust valves. Caveat Emptor) . I would run the stock OEM GT3 center muffler with a muffler save stiffener or buy Jamies strong replacement. If you want even louder we make rear muffler bypass pipes and center muffler bypass pipes with Porsche AG top balance tubes.

2nd if you want emissions complaint then RUN the stock OEM catted GT3 headers. That greatly reduces attentuates sound levels and then do side muffler bypass pipes with Helical Exhaust valves and the stock OEM rear muffler. Another option is our Fabspeed center muffler bypass pipe with cross over pipe Porsche original style. If you want more throaty sports car sound another option are quality GT3 rear headers with HJS Emissions technology German 200 CPSI HD extra large catalytic converters. FYI- Fabspeed Motorsport USA is the exclusive importer of HJS systems and we buy direct from HJS and obtain genuine certified warrantied product.

For guys that want to save maximum weight and not have their OEM Porsche GT3 center mufflers explode at Track events other options for being street legal are a complete rear X pipe that replaces both side mufflers and the rear center muffler. It works great and sounds loud and proud but really good beacause of our Fabspeed rear X pipe that blends both sides of the GT3 exhaust banks and gives a high pitches sports car sound.
Ill tell you what if any of you want to try a quality made system let me know and email me I can get out samples to the GT3 Faithful. See some of you at Daytona. Pulling for #912 and #911.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 01-18-2020, 03:23 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Supersprint Solution

For me the solution for side muffler delete is a simple and cost effective one, if one does not care about a valved set up.
First save your OEM parts.
Then purchase and install a Supersprint side pipe and center muffler combo. This system has integrated tips, has a 3 year warranty, and passes TUV sounds testing. Supersprint quality and engineering is very good.
It is hard not to pass up such a great deal (also, these were on sale for 20% off at ECS Tuning....so keep an eye open for another sale).

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superspr...tem/244526kt1/

i was planning to purchase this system for my GT3, but my budget for that car has been chopped this year......(due to the acquisition of a 1998 RUF Turbo R project....with W09 VIN, )
Old 01-19-2020, 02:51 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

^^^ wow that sounds loud though,... and Mr Adair's goal is to actually reduce the decibels from the system he has now.

Quick Reply: Side muffler delete: Options to keep quiet?