Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Side muffler delete: Options to keep quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 06:56 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

^^^ calling Mr @widers911 re: Soul on his SW3.9
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:43 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

Considering most of these companies offer a lifetime warranty, take your pick. Things I'm wondering about is why some design their pipes with no bellows on the upper pipes, and why some use steel braided type bellows. Weld quality craftsmanship would have to be examined up close but from what it looks like they're all quality products. I also noted that some have the upper pipe welded right at the beginning of the bifurcation, while others have the upper pipe welded a few inches forward, which could make a sponge or weaker design, and difference in sound(?)

I see used ones that sold and they all seem to hold up. My concern would be corrosion-people that live up north get salt from the snow and those who live in disaster zones like Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale get salt water from the king tides and in that case even if you have OEM you're subject to corrosion. But, most of these side deletes come with lifetime warranty so I suppose corrosion is covered(?)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:15 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Small update: Just had a conversation with Paul at SOUL. Their valved side deletes are about $1100 less than Dundon. He is also willing to take the product back with a 10% re-stock if I can't find a combination I like. Nice price and offer. Has anybody used a SOUL product yet? Quality level? Any feedback welcome. Still trying suss these two out..
I have a pair of the Non Valves side deletes from Soul. Havent installed it yet, so can't provide any sound or fitment feedback. Build quality looks to be fantastic.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:19 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a pair of the SOUL non valved side deletes going on this week. I'm currently running a SW bypass, so I won't be able to comment on sound over stock, though.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:12 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
I have a pair of the SOUL non valved side deletes going on this week. I'm currently running a SW bypass, so I won't be able to comment on sound over stock, though.
this is what im curious about. I’ve been listening to sound clips and I actually think I like center delete better with like a shark works/GMG take your pick, but I like the idea of weight savings and reduction in heat on the rear tires by removing the side mufflers and retaining the stock center but all the YouTube videos I could find of 991s the didn’t seem to sound as good to me
Old 01-04-2020, 11:21 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by osu s2k
this is what im curious about. I’ve been listening to sound clips and I actually think I like center delete better with like a shark works/GMG take your pick, but I like the idea of weight savings and reduction in heat on the rear tires by removing the side mufflers and retaining the stock center but all the YouTube videos I could find of 991s the didn’t seem to sound as good to me
This is the only video of a 997 gen GT3 with a side delete/stock center I could find. Not sure if helpful or not. Personally, it's not aggressive enough for me.

​​​​​​
Old 01-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Considering most of these companies offer a lifetime warranty, take your pick. Things I'm wondering about is why some design their pipes with no bellows on the upper pipes, and why some use steel braided type bellows. Weld quality craftsmanship would have to be examined up close but from what it looks like they're all quality products. I also noted that some have the upper pipe welded right at the beginning of the bifurcation, while others have the upper pipe welded a few inches forward, which could make a sponge or weaker design, and difference in sound(?)

I see used ones that sold and they all seem to hold up. My concern would be corrosion-people that live up north get salt from the snow and those who live in disaster zones like Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale get salt water from the king tides and in that case even if you have OEM you're subject to corrosion. But, most of these side deletes come with lifetime warranty so I suppose corrosion is covered(?)
JB911,

Both companies were extremely helpful and I feel like they would stand behind their product regardless. Both are eager to get their product in the hands of Rennlist folks for obvious reasons. I'm probably over thinking the whole deal at this point. I think I finally got a consensus on the combination I'm going to need to try. Side delete with valves (more money but necessary to avoid drone and stay quiet and I'm hoping a smoother transition from on to off). I'm going to need a full rear OEM style rear muffler. There is some question on whether or not I will eventually kill my OEM Ti rear center muffler. Dundon says no. I need to ask that of SOUL. In a perfect world it's probably best to pair each brands rear center muffler with their own side deletes.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Keep us posted. I won't be able hear my set up for another 2 months minimum because of winter..
Old 01-05-2020, 10:58 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

This is the only video of a 997 gen GT3 with a side delete/stock center I could find. Not sure if helpful or not. Personally, it's not aggressive enough for me.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_DPMH0anw
Thanks for this. I agree, it's a tad too quiet. It's quieter than my current set up. Remember, I'm fine with my sound now, I just want to lose the stock side mufflers. Problem is the sound is going to change when I do that...
Old 01-05-2020, 11:49 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by osu s2k
Has anyone tried a simple valved side delete like dundon or soul, And then use a Gt3 titanium muffler for the center, I’d like to know what the difference is in sound quality/volume With The above set up versus a center delete and stock side mufflers. The obvious weight advantage is very attractive to me but would it be too loud?

to update i read through the whole soul bypass pipe thread. Some Critical points are if you lose low rpm torque I’m less interested, are there any real world Dyno data out there other than like complete systems like Akrapović
The titanium centers tend to fail. Mine did but I also have Dundon race headers.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:25 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Not sure if this takes, but Fabspeed cats, Fabspeed fixed side bypass and Akrapović center.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0396.MOV (2.54 MB, 49 views)

Last edited by CT944; 01-08-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:33 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I decided that if I get the valved side deletes I'll go ahead and use my FVD center bypass, concern is mainly cold starts as mentioned so I'll probably use a towel and keep the garage closed for the first 2 minutes while it warms up. I put my OEM center for sale in case anyone is interested. I doubt the stock SS center will crack unless you're tracking often(?)
Old 01-05-2020, 02:39 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

One of the reasons I’m thinking of going loud is there are so many idiots driving these days, a swarm of stand up electric scooters running stop signs and red lights, and since Jan 1st the city has been plagued by these new electric, quiet fast scooters that I think anyone can rent at every street/block😡
My loud motorcycle seems to scare them and put them in their place, as well as most idiots driving, so loud cars should also scare and warn them like a repellent 😂
A silent scooter like this will end up hitting unsuspecting pedestrians, animals and pets, etc
and there’s no helmet law in Fl
End of rant, sorry-but to me it’s a new factor-

Old 01-05-2020, 02:53 PM
geb78
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the great posts. The more I read the more confused I get at all the options and combinations. I'm hopefully getting my 7.1 GT3 RS soon that has stock side mufflers and GMG center bypass. Looking for an economical way to retain GMG center bypass but remove the weight of side mufflers, and have a loud and quieter exhaust option. The question I have is if you already have a center bypass would the valved side bypass still offer a noticeable difference in sound levels valves open and closed? I'm looking at SOUL and Fabspeed valved side bypass currently. I'm trying to avoid cost off adding a center muffler.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:02 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
That’s the set up I’m going to try. Dundon has quite a bit of real life data and claims some pretty good HP increase and flow increases by percentage on their site over stock. They certainly quantify their power numbers in house from what I can tell. They also have 2” and 3” rear center mufflers to work with stock exhaust size or their proprietary larger 3” on their long tube headers. But I agree with you I’d like to see what type of power it is. When messing around with Porsche Motorsports stuff it’s easy to go backwards if you don’t know what’s what. I would to see Jamie jump in and comment on this topic and thread but I know he’s a little salty still from a Rennlist debate a while back 😉
Side deletes are fine, no power loss at all when used with a factory muffler. Side Deletes should be fine on TI mufflers as well as our catted street headers are also fine on the TI mufflers.

Make sure to get valved side deletes with quality Helical valves, cheap Chinese valves are available but quality is questionable. When buying parts for $150,000 cars, you do get what you pay for....

One thing to keep in mind is sound is a pressure wave, the pressure comes from the amount of O2 and gas you can combust. So if you make more power, you make more sound. For those interested in more sound a set of our street headers gets you all of it, more power, more sound and you can use your stock muffler to get there with no drone. If you were to get our side deletes then want to upgrade to our headers, you would have to sell the side deletes as our headers are longer than factory and the factory side deletes are interchangeable with our street header side deletes.

last thing. Those looking for side deletes into a center delete, prepare for significant droning in the cabin between 2200-3200rpm (typical highway cruising speeds) and valves will make no difference as there is no muffler at that point.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jamie@dundonmotorsports:
geb78 (01-05-2020), Mr. Adair (01-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Side muffler delete: Options to keep quiet?