Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Open vs Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 09:18 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Open vs Enclosed Trailer

I’m shopping for enclosed trailers, but then I asked myself, what advantage does an enclosed trailer really give me? Keeps the car clean I guess. And honestly, just looks awesome.

But an open trailer is cheaper, easier to use, better in the wind, easier to see around, needs significantly less maintenance, for example, doesn’t need to be painted and resealed. Right?

Are there other reasons to buy an enclosed trailer?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:35 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

It really depends what you are going to use it for. If you are just going to do trips to tracks within a days drive, and dont plan on needing alot of extra tools, storage, spares etc. I would go with an open trailer.

If you are going to be taking multi day trips where you stop at hotels to sleep, and/or need to carry more spares, tools, etc then I would go enclosed. In the end an enclosed trailer is the safer option for your car beyond just keeping it clean.

(Also, this is probably a better thread to have in the Towing/Trailers specific sub-forum).
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 05:21 PM
D1ESEL
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I just purchased a Featherlite 3110 and had them install one of the factory Featherlite Airdams on it and it's been fantastic and kept the car very clean.

Super stable over the road and is super easy to use and well made.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:46 PM
gerryros
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

An enclosed also provides shelter from the elements and a decent place to set up for the weekend. My Featherlite 4926 has an insulated roof, AC, heat, shore power hookup, cabinets. On my annual November VIR trip, for example, typically cold and gets dark early, I have a warm well-lit space, coffee maker, laptop, music, folding chairs, ac outlets for charging, running air compressor, etc. When it rains like it did all day today at the track, I have great shelter and all my track gear stays completely dry.

The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (01-11-2020)
Old 12-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 188 Posts

If you already have the right truck to pull enclosed, it's a no brainer to go that way. If you need to upgrade your tow vehicle, then it starts to be a little more of a decision making process. I bought my first enclosed trailer this year, and it's been an incredible upgrade. I actually use it as a rolling tent for camping at multi day events. Even without AC it also makes a nice sun shelter for a break mid day if the venue doesn't have any air conditioned shelter.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:51 PM
VividRacing
Former Vendor

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts

Personally just picked up a trailer by ATC, good stuff.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:51 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

You don't necessarily need to go all-in on cost for enclosed. My 20' Stealth v-nose enclosed does everything I need and was relatively inexpensive. It isn't as heavy (which is good) or as heavy-duty (bad) as Featherlite. Featherlite is gorgeous but a cheaper trailer like mine gets the job done. My old tow vehicle could barely tow the enclosed and would've been fine with open which makes a big difference as said above. In the winter I store the car along with 2 sets of wheels and tires (junk tires that will come off next summer) which keeps my garage clear in the sloppy Minnesota winter.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:19 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts

Painted and resealed? Are you buying a trailer or a boat?

Ive had both and never painted or resealed my open or enclosed.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:34 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Painted and resealed? Are you buying a trailer or a boat?

Ive had both and never painted or resealed my open or enclosed.
need to reseal the roof, typically with a self leveling sealant like dicor or you'll get leaks
Old 01-12-2020, 01:59 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 664 Posts

3 years ago, similar to 74GoldTarga, I bought a less-expensive enclosed V-Nose trailer ($6k), and spent time painting the underside of the flooring (so all the road debris would not eat that up). then also spent time encapsulating the wiring for all the lights (so stones & debris don't eat that up either). Also spent a lot of time on the interior getting it painted with many coats of epoxy paint on the floors, walls, mounting points for various tools, spare-tires, cabinets, etc. It has held up very well so far.

Plus, similar to 74goldtarga, I also use mine year round to store a older Camaro that I prefer not to be in my main garage. Much less expensive than paying monthly fees renting a "u-Store" unit. Only downside during the spring/summer/fall, is that when I want to use it for hauling my othe cars, I do have to perform some swapping. But that can be fun too, since it's a great excuse to go for more rides while swapping.

My .02 is that I would have spent just about the same amount of time altering, improving, etc on a more expensive trailer anyway. So that's a wash. And a new suspension on a new trailer (even a less expensive one), still hauls much better than a used one with lots of miles.

I could literally use this trailer for 10 yrs, sell it for $3K, turn-around and buy another,... repeat process, and after 3 decades be waaaaay ahead from an cost perspective (especially if I include the cost of renting a u-store-it unit!!).

=S

Quick Reply: Open vs Enclosed Trailer