Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

power steering leak after coolant pipe weld

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 PM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default power steering leak after coolant pipe weld

I recently acquired a 997.1 GT3 with about 10k miles, single owner car, no issues that were disclosed to me, no track use, perfect DME, and PPI at reputable shop checked out.

I am planning on keeping this car road legal but also want to use it for HPDE. So, I took the car to a well-known local indy and had them do coolant pipe welds after taking out the engine. Because the engine was out, I started down the slippery slope and got the LWFW, Guard LSD, and the 3.8 RS clutch. First time I took the car for a spirited drive, it was glorious for the first half hour and then . . smoke out the back and strange noises from the steering. Flat bed tow back to the shop and my indy mechanic is telling me that there are two issues:

1. power steering fluid leak
2. coolant leak from front radiator

Car had zero steering or coolant issues before the "fix." Are power steering lines near the engine / transmission; are they likely to be affected by this extensive work??
Why does the front radiator leak now?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:10 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Where is the ps leaking from? Pics. Answer is yes. And if they didn’t use the right tool very possible to damage the lines. Engine out to replace them if it’s the limes at the tank.

The front radiator could just be coincidence.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 PM
PeteAZ
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a plastic 'one time use' clip for the PS fluid that connects to the front side of the PS fluid reservoir. They have to un-clip this to drop the engine to pin the coolant lines, then re-clip when you are done. They can fail at that point.

At least that's what I've been told.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:06 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There was at least one case where a PS leak dripped on the coolant hose below it and slightly to the right.

As a result the coolant hose popped on the track, so not a safe situation.

Might be a good idea to check the coolant hose.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:26 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Seems to be the norm that fixing something, causing other things to break. That's why personally I hate any service visits and would rather DIY it if I can handle it.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 PM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PeteAZ
There is a plastic 'one time use' clip for the PS fluid that connects to the front side of the PS fluid reservoir. They have to un-clip this to drop the engine to pin the coolant lines, then re-clip when you are done. They can fail at that point.

At least that's what I've been told.

I suspect it is something like this. Do you know if the engine has to come back out to fix this 'one time clip' or is it accessible with engine in?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:00 PM
smq42
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smq42
I suspect it is something like this. Do you know if the engine has to come back out to fix this 'one time clip' or is it accessible with engine in?

Turned out to be a relatively straightforward fix - here's a picture of the power steering connector valve that was leaking. . .

Old 02-25-2019, 07:39 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by smq42
Turned out to be a relatively straightforward fix - here's a picture of the power steering connector valve that was leaking. . .

You are lucky man.
If here, where return line enters the reservoir, under the yellow oil fill cap, repair can be ugly as Spyrex says, engine back out. in many cases.

Quick Reply: power steering leak after coolant pipe weld