Antique Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:03 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Belinko
Very Cool!

Thanks for your detailed feedback on the tires.

Were there any warning signs with regards to the camshaft bolts?
There were no real long term signs. When the bolts backed out I felt an instant loss of top end power (almost like the cams did not engage after 4k RPM) and idle sounded a little more metallic/clunky. Knowing my car really well, I predicted the problem and immediately shut the car off. There was no CEL , no issues with overheating and no issues with oil pressure.

The sensor issue was the polar opposite where the car sounded normal but there was a lack of low end torque and a CEL was triggered. Car was totally OK to drive other than the limp mode feel.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:14 AM
Belinko
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 AM
adi_d
Racer

Went to the Hooked on Driving and Speed District Laguna Seca days to wrap the year up. This brings the total of track days to 17 this year. Day one was a bit of a challenge as my front wheel weights fell off and I had to spend some time re-balancing the wheels. The vibration was not fun to drive with. The track was extremely dusty and the best time for that day was 1:35.9 with consistent 1:36 laps throughout the day.

The car ran really well and the 2nd day felt pretty epic. Even though the times were declining due to tire wear, it was some of the best driving experience I had this year. Really nice way to wrap up the year.

Next up is a major detail of the car during the year end break and getting it ready for the next season!

As a side note, I was finally able to get through all my previous videos and will link my session on the Michelin slicks at Laguna. The tires are definitely capable of running consistent 1:34 laps, but all I could do is 1:35s.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 PM
adi_d
Racer

Default Details, details...

After the track season is done, I spend about 30 hours detailing and cleaning the car. While this is not a track update specifically, many of us clean our cars, so thought I would share. I use a lot of the standard cleaners, but this time I decided to give the Carpro product line a try and do a ceramic coating myself.

First up is a wash with decontamination of Iron and Tar particles, using the "stripping" shampoo to get rid of previous coatings and waxes.

Next up is clay bar and compound stage using Meguire's microfiber pad and compound.

The paint turned out nicely. Next up is the layering of the Cquartz 3.0 ceramic coating, followed by Gliss top coat. This stage took a good 5 hours with an additional 48 hours of "curing".

With the paint sorted, it was time to take on the interior. Since we track with our windows down, a ton of dirt builds up in the carpets and behind the roll-cage. We spend most of our time inside the car, so I enjoy this step of the cleaning process the most.

After that, it is time to address the trim, which also takes a beating on the track.

While at it, I replaced the BMC filter in prep for the next season.

My wife helped me complete the install of the wireless steering wheel. This allows me to operate blinkers, headlights, PASM, TC, horn, etc. from the face of the steering wheel. More of a convenience than anything else.

Almost there...suspension cleaning and inspection.

And finally, my least favorite part, the wheels. I use a set of 18 BBS E08 and 19 BBS E88 wheels. While they are great for the track, the fact that they have painted, polished and bare metal surfaces makes them insanely hard to maintain and clean. It easily takes me 2 hours per wheel to clean.

Last but not least, new track numbers going on (wife seems to be into decals).

Once complete, all that's left is to clean up the mess in the garage.

Overall, fairly pleased with the results, although the coating took a while to apply, and you have to be fairly careful to do a thorough job. It will be interesting to see how it holds up with all the track rubber throughout the year.

That was my Christmas break, in between kids, family and other chores. Next up are a few track upgrades before the next event in February...

1. Transmission is going to Vegas for a refresh by Bill Rader and possible re-gearing
2. Tractive system is out for 2019, being replaced with Penske Pro shocks
3. Cup Power Steering pump is being installed

I think all three upgrades, combined with a refreshed engine should yield some nice results in 2019. Can't wait!
Old 01-02-2019, 03:09 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi there

Great job cleaning the car!
Please tell me more about the wireless steering wheel system. I have been considering one for my 996 GT3 for some time now. I have a cup wheel with a spacer to get the wheel close enough.. and now the stalks for wipers and indicators are too far away.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:27 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

That looks fantastic. Wow.
Whats made you move from tractive shocks to Penske? I have some very top end custom made Murray Coote shocks in my 997.1 gt3cs that are superb, but liked the idea of the tractive range of operation. Hence asking.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:08 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm a narrow body guy. Even though I wish I still had my Green .1 RS Please don't ever stop updating this thread. I love reading your cars evolution. Tom and Tye's build threads also give me hope and inspire me continue working on my car. Awesome stuff. And Happy Holidays! JBO PS How are you going to tune the Penskes? I've said this a hundred times but my pro racer buddy said I'd need a full time engineer to run Penskes.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:20 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JarmoL
Hi there

Please tell me more about the wireless steering wheel system. I have been considering one for my 996 GT3 for some time now. I have a cup wheel with a spacer to get the wheel close enough.. and now the stalks for wipers and indicators are too far away.
I built the hardware with a wired QR that controls the same functions. A mutual associate of the OP and mine built and programmed the arduino powered wireless function. You can see more in the link in my sig on how this is built. If you're serious about this PM me and we can discuss further.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:23 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by JarmoL
Hi there

Thanks! The wireless wheel was created by a few different people and assembled by a friend. Essentially it includes a wireless receiver on the steering wheel side, which can be done easily, as you can ship the wheel for that modification. However, to make the various car functions work, the car's modules also have to be modified to send the signal wirelessly. This is more involving. I had to take apart my center console and steering column assembly and ship the parts out for hardwiring, etc. That may or may not even be possible on a cup car. Best I can do, is get you in touch with the guy that did mods for me and see if you guys can make it work.

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
That looks fantastic. Wow.
Whats made you move from tractive shocks to Penske? I have some very top end custom made Murray Coote shocks in my 997.1 gt3cs that are superb, but liked the idea of the tractive range of operation. Hence asking.
Thanks! I am surprised how good the car looks after 47K miles and countless track days. Switching from Tractive was not an easy decision, but I would say the leading factors are a) curiosity and b) purpose.

I went from stock suspension to Tractive and never experienced high end mechanical dampers, so really wanted to feel the difference. Also, when I started, I drove to the track and used my front axle lift; Tractive was the perfect solution for that. Now I trailer and have taken the lift out, so logically speaking a pure racing shocks is better fit for purpose. In theory a $12,000 racing shock, should have superior internals and adjustability than a $7,000 all purpose shock, but we will find out.

I will likely write up a review of using Tractive for two years and try to share my good and bad experiences with the setup, but overall I have been thrilled with them and clearly my track times show how effective Tractive really is.

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
I'm a narrow body guy. Even though I wish I still had my Green .1 RS Please don't ever stop updating this thread. I love reading your cars evolution. Tom and Tye's build threads also give me hope and inspire me continue working on my car. Awesome stuff. And Happy Holidays! JBO PS How are you going to tune the Penskes? I've said this a hundred times but my pro racer buddy said I'd need a full time engineer to run Penskes.
Josh, thanks for the comment. I am kind of updating this thread for myself, as a chronicle of progression, but hope some folks enjoy reading about an old/slow 997 GT3 Tom's and Tye's threads are awesome too with different focus, so really enjoy those as well.

As far as Penske go, I did speak to my Pro driver friend and he said the same thing. It would take him 2-3 full test days and likely 2-3 re-valves before they are perfectly setup. Once setup however, they should be superior to almost anything available. The good news for me is that they are 2-way adjustable only (3 and 4 way would need detailed data for setup), I only frequent 3 tracks, so setup will likely be universal, and I am not a pro driver, so some imperfection in setup is acceptable to me (Tractive had their issues as well). All in all I am pretty excited, but also scared about it all. Let's see how it goes!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:09 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for that. If it helps, Ihave race shocks in same $ range as you are getting and I really rate ‘spending for quality shocks’, I think it about the best mod on the car. The ride is surprisingly ‘ok’ on the street too. On track, they are simply amazing. I feel like they will take anything I can throw at them on track. Though I wouldn’t multi day road trip the car anymore.

Thanks for sharing. May they find you some elusive time and satisfaction!
Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Thanks for that. If it helps, Ihave race shocks in same $ range as you are getting and I really rate ‘spending for quality shocks’, I think it about the best mod on the car. The ride is surprisingly ‘ok’ on the street too. On track, they are simply amazing. I feel like they will take anything I can throw at them on track. Though I wouldn’t multi day road trip the car anymore.

Thanks for sharing. May they find you some elusive time and satisfaction!
Thanks for the note of confidence. I spoke to a few Penske engineers and the shop that will do the shock setup, and it seems it should be OK, as the 997 (cup) chassis is obviously really well known. In terms of upgrades, I agree with you that suspension is key to a good time on the track together with appropriate safety items such as seat, harnesses, brakes, etc.

For me it has been an interesting journey with the car and I can say that the wider front end with 265/275 tires and aero have also been huge performance boosters and have transformed the way the car drives; I really had to re-adjust the driving style after those mods. The only thing I am still not 100% happy with is the braking feel, but I will play with that setup some more this year (i.e. brakes function perfectly fine, but compared to the 991 brakes they do not feel nearly as stable or as powerful; I know different chassis but still wishful comparison).

Old 01-03-2019, 12:34 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I built the hardware with a wired QR that controls the same functions. A mutual associate of the OP and mine built and programmed the arduino powered wireless function. You can see more in the link in my sig on how this is built. If you're serious about this PM me and we can discuss further.

Thanks for the info! Wow, that certainly sounds more complicated than I thought. It sure looks like a factory set up though!
While searching I came across this site http://blinkstop.co.uk/shop/index.ph...tegory&path=59
They seem to have DIY kits for sale. No idea if the technology is same as in your version? With that kit I might be able to work it out by myself..
Old 01-12-2019, 12:46 AM
adi_d
Racer

Quick update. Transmission is out and on it's way to Bill Rader.

Tractive shocks are also out, cleaned and ready for the new owner.

Unfortunately one of the shocks had a collapsed seal and developed a leak. It is on the way to Tom for a quick rebuild (thanks Tom)!

My Penske are being rebuilt next week as well, so the car should be back together by month end, just in a time for some February track time (weather pending). I must say, seeing the Tractive out of the car makes me sad and a sense of panic is kicking in! At least I know my buddy will enjoy them.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread !
Keep tracking
Not soooo antique even though our 997s got "old" pretty fast.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Vince964T
Great thread !
Keep tracking
Not soooo antique even though our 997s got "old" pretty fast.
These cars do need a lot of investment to make them go fast. Fortunately they provide a very unique experience and feel when being driven well. Getting from my car into a 991 GT3 or RS simply does not provide the same level of tactile excitement, but I may be stubborn. Once the 992 GT3s and new GT4s come out, it may be time to retire this car from track duty...so another good year ahead. Not really sure what the replacement, if any would be?

Quick Reply: Antique Tracking