Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Antique Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:17 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
One of the best threads on the forum. Thank you!
Glad you like it. I am just documenting my detailing and tracking activities, LOL.

Originally Posted by iwantspeed
awesome car. nice to see you enjoying it properly
The car has been pretty awesome. It is the longest I have ever kept a car. I feel like it will be nearly impossible to replace the track experience it provides, unless it is some pure race car. Will be a sad day when I sell it.

As a side note, I used Fabspeed 200 CEL sport headers and TPC side bypass pipes and have been able to pass the strict Laguna 90db sound days. Last event I failed sound twice and could smell fuel when the car turned on...which means the cats in the headers are gone. The shop confirmed that the cats are loose and slowly disintegrating...too bad as I liked the sound. Stock headers going back on for Sonoma; it will be interesting if I notice any difference.

I will need to decide if I want to stick with stock or look for a replacement...
Old 08-20-2019, 12:37 AM
adi_d
Racer

It has been a while since the last update. Last trackday was at Sonoma raceway on July 3 with Hooked on Driving. I drove on old R1S and have been finally able to get into the 1:45s which is great. I think the car is capable of consistent 1:44s with fresh tires. Sonoma is so amazing that regardless of times and traffic it is just a battle for survival once you push the car hard.

Recently, I switched from the Ferodo DS1.11 pads and tried the Endless ME20. The bite is definitely more aggressive on ME20 but the modulation is not as strong. It took a bit of getting used to the slightly different braking zones and technique but pretty good overall. Once these pads are done I may try the new Ferodo DS3.12 and compare.

As mentioned in the earlier post my Fabspeed sport headers (200 CEL cat) failed from track use and I had to switch back to my OEM headers for the Sonoma event. The sound of the car with OEM headers was unbearable, once you get used to the cup like sound with an aftermarket setup and threw off my shifting as I often go by the engine sound on each of the tracks. I have to give Fabspeed a lot of credit as they reached out and repaired my headers as part of their new warranty that covers track use. I had to pay for shipping but otherwise the refurbished headers are back and on the car! Big thanks for great service!

I also had a chance to take my 5 year old daughter for a drive to Allice's and have to say that the car is not nearly as fun on the street as it is on track...

TCP Tom inspired me with the cup hood installation on his car. Rennlist member "Titannero" happened to be selling his CF 997 hood, so I could not resist. Alekshop, as always, did the install and it turned out well. Gives the car a refreshed look!

Last weekend I was able to connect a business trip with a quick stop at the Atlanta Experience center. I went for a more "normal" drive and took the Carrera T for a spin around that track. Luckily my instructor let me more or less go as hard as I wanted and the car felt very fun and balanced on that 1 mile track. It was actually a lot more fun than expected.

In the employee garage we found an RSR parked right next to normal employee vehicles! It was fun to check it out up close without any pressure.

Next up is Sonoma again with HOD on Thursday the 22nd. It should be 95F and using RE71R tires, so let's see how it all goes. Hoping to capture some good video and sound this time as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by adi_d:
Hella-Buggin' (08-20-2019), nwGTS (08-20-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
It has been a while since the last update. Last trackday was at Sonoma raceway on July 3 with Hooked on Driving. I drove on old R1S and have been finally able to get into the 1:45s which is great. I think the car is capable of consistent 1:44s with fresh tires. Sonoma is so amazing that regardless of times and traffic it is just a battle for survival once you push the car hard.

Recently, I switched from the Ferodo DS1.11 pads and tried the Endless ME20. The bite is definitely more aggressive on ME20 but the modulation is not as strong. It took a bit of getting used to the slightly different braking zones and technique but pretty good overall. Once these pads are done I may try the new Ferodo DS3.12 and compare.

As mentioned in the earlier post my Fabspeed sport headers (200 CEL cat) failed from track use and I had to switch back to my OEM headers for the Sonoma event. The sound of the car with OEM headers was unbearable, once you get used to the cup like sound with an aftermarket setup and threw off my shifting as I often go by the engine sound on each of the tracks. I have to give Fabspeed a lot of credit as they reached out and repaired my headers as part of their new warranty that covers track use. I had to pay for shipping but otherwise the refurbished headers are back and on the car! Big thanks for great service!

I also had a chance to take my 5 year old daughter for a drive to Allice's and have to say that the car is not nearly as fun on the street as it is on track...

TCP Tom inspired me with the cup hood installation on his car. Rennlist member "Titannero" happened to be selling his CF 997 hood, so I could not resist. Alekshop, as always, did the install and it turned out well. Gives the car a refreshed look!

Last weekend I was able to connect a business trip with a quick stop at the Atlanta Experience center. I went for a more "normal" drive and took the Carrera T for a spin around that track. Luckily my instructor let me more or less go as hard as I wanted and the car felt very fun and balanced on that 1 mile track. It was actually a lot more fun than expected.

In the employee garage we found an RSR parked right next to normal employee vehicles! It was fun to check it out up close without any pressure.

Next up is Sonoma again with HOD on Thursday the 22nd. It should be 95F and using RE71R tires, so let's see how it all goes. Hoping to capture some good video and sound this time as well.
More antique tracking awesomeness! I sure would like to pick your brain sometime in regard to trying to figure out the best way to track more and how to choose the right car to do it!
Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 AM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
More antique tracking awesomeness! I sure would like to pick your brain sometime in regard to trying to figure out the best way to track more and how to choose the right car to do it!
Thanks! Feel free to call, e-mail, PM whenever! Always fun to chat about tracking
Old 08-26-2019, 12:43 AM
adi_d
Racer

Well, as usual, the HOD day at Sonoma was a blast. We had a group of friends show up and despite the 90F+ temperatures it was a fun time. I had passengers all day, which made it a slightly different experience than the usual (typically I don't even have a passenger seat installed).

The morning arrival is always exciting, knowing what is about to happen for the next 6+ hours

Unpacking!

We now have a few GT4s with the Verus Aero installed and boy does it make a difference. One of the GT4s is running consistent 1:35 laptimes at Laguna on RE71R tires. For comparison Randy Pobst was able to do 1:37.6 on a stock car. Aero really is magic!

Special treat in the afternoon! Wife was able to stop by after work and hang out a bit.

Best of the day was a 1:47.5, which is way off my PB of 1:45.1, but given the heat, older tires and passengers it was still satisfying. I have also converted a few laps on video in case anyone is interested in seeing Sonoma or the line I take on RE71Rs.

Next up is an awesome Laguna day with PDC, which consists of 7 x 30 min sessions. This will be September 4, Wednesday!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:10 PM
adi_d
Racer

For some reason I just can't get away from silver cars! my friend brought his 964 over for some minor detailing and coating. Most interesting part for me was cleaning the interior and the exterior body panels in the back; very different from 997 and 991. Neat car!

Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 203 Posts

What's Up, you guys left me out of Grey Day?

I had to detail mine all by myself :-(
Old 09-03-2019, 11:03 AM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
What's Up, you guys left me out of Grey Day?

I had to detail mine all by myself :-(
We figured you are exceedingly busy on this long weekend, and I am sure your own detailed turned out supremely! When is your next track day?
Old 09-03-2019, 11:07 AM
adi_d
Racer

Ok, car had it's oil and transmission fluid changed and one last check before the PDC Laguna day tomorrow!

Oh yeah, new R1S too!

Loaded and ready!

As usual with PDC, very low car count and lots of track time; let's see how it all goes.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 203 Posts

Not sure. I'm hoping to get a few more in before the end of the season. Maybe HOD @ Sonoma 10/28. Maybe HOD @ T-Hill 11/15.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:14 PM
PhillyGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Your car is fantastic!

I have a questions for you- I recently went with Recaro halo seats and a cup wheel on my 997.1 gt3. I think because the seat is much lower then OEM, my left elbow hits the arm rest on the door when turning on the track.

Does this happen to you?

Keep the pictures and videos coming!
Old 09-03-2019, 04:51 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by PhillyGT3
Your car is fantastic!

I have a questions for you- I recently went with Recaro halo seats and a cup wheel on my 997.1 gt3. I think because the seat is much lower then OEM, my left elbow hits the arm rest on the door when turning on the track.

Does this happen to you?

Keep the pictures and videos coming!
Man that Halo seat is a PITA honestly...I have the XL version, which makes it worse. I do not have enough room for the seat belt receptacle and the seat without significantly touching the door even with a highly adjustable mount, so had to go without that option. It also does take some time getting used to the positioning and arm movement as your elbows can touch the seat or something around it. If you are touching the door panel armrest then the seat may be too far to the left (away from the transmission tunnel). Mine is mounted as close to the tunnel as possible. I also found the moving the seat forward/back has a pretty significant impact on your overall elbow room. Lastly, the XL version will rub the door panel, it's unavoidable. Cup cars obviously have totally different doors providing the extra room needed.

Of course the trade off is that the seat feels epic when driving hard.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:38 PM
PhillyGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
Man that Halo seat is a PITA honestly...I have the XL version, which makes it worse. I do not have enough room for the seat belt receptacle and the seat without significantly touching the door even with a highly adjustable mount, so had to go without that option. It also does take some time getting used to the positioning and arm movement as your elbows can touch the seat or something around it. If you are touching the door panel armrest then the seat may be too far to the left (away from the transmission tunnel). Mine is mounted as close to the tunnel as possible. I also found the moving the seat forward/back has a pretty significant impact on your overall elbow room. Lastly, the XL version will rub the door panel, it's unavoidable. Cup cars obviously have totally different doors providing the extra room needed.

Of course the trade off is that the seat feels epic when driving hard.
YES! Ok, I feel your halo seat pain. I actually removed my door panel yesterday and it made a HUGE difference. I just have to come up with some sort of RS door panel or just keep the inside exposed and hide the wires (it doesn't look bad exposed). It made a massive difference. and yes, epic is a great way of putting it.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:09 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

TPC Tom did an awesome job fabricating new door panels from CF sheet stock. Here is a link to this in his (amazing) build thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post14371576
Old 09-06-2019, 12:30 AM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by jonwb
TPC Tom did an awesome job fabricating new door panels from CF sheet stock. Here is a link to this in his (amazing) build thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post14371576
I think we should have Tom make us all some panels Joking aside, best ones I have seen are from Manthey as they had OEM like fit and finish, but are pretty expensive. I actually like my RS door pulls, otherwise would take the door apart.

Quick Reply: Antique Tracking