Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Antique Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 05:39 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 203 Posts

More experienced people may know more but I don't think there's anything wrong with temps at 230 degrees as long as the oil pressure is keeping up to the job. Also, the GT3 has a dry sump system and I think that sump plate your talking about is for a M9x engine that has a wet sump system. In those cars the oil collects in the bottom and a pump sucks t up and passes it though the oil passages. In a GT3 it's stored in a tank in front of the engine that is pressurized so oil pressure isn't effected by G forces.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:38 PM
wahoo55
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
More experienced people may know more but I don't think there's anything wrong with temps at 230 degrees as long as the oil pressure is keeping up to the job. Also, the GT3 has a dry sump system and I think that sump plate your talking about is for a M9x engine that has a wet sump system. In those cars the oil collects in the bottom and a pump sucks t up and passes it though the oil passages. In a GT3 it's stored in a tank in front of the engine that is pressurized so oil pressure isn't effected by G forces.
My mechanic talked to the mfr, Bilt. It definitely fits a GT3 RS. I think I am going to pass at this point and see if replacing the oil cooler fixes the issue. I can always add the Bilt sump later.

On temps, I am simply going by what my mechanic tells me . He was a mechanic for teams that raced 996s and 997s in the Rolex and ALMS series. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

If anyone has used a Bilt sump on one of these, I would love to hear about your experiences.

David
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (01-20-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:36 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
buddy of mine has the skinny Recaro kevlar seats, you know the ones for 100lb race drivers, in his passenger seat. He's single. He calls the seat "Quality control"
This this the first time I saw this comment and it made me LOL
Old 01-30-2020, 03:01 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ having kids come along is best treat
That trackside pool is awesome.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:03 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Keep the photos and track pictures coming, 2010 shouldn't be considered old for a track car.

The 997.2 GT3 RS was at the top of my list when it came out. They even offered it in Cal colors.
Tom@TPC Racing (01-30-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 05:39 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Keep the photos and track pictures coming, 2010 shouldn't be considered old for a track car.

The 997.2 GT3 RS was at the top of my list when it came out. They even offered it in Cal colors.
I will keep the pictures and stories coming for another season. This year the focus will be more on details and refinement, and generally focusing the enjoyment factor of driving this car. It is quite the experience, especially when compared to the newer models. Let's see how it goes...
Old 02-14-2020, 05:59 PM
adi_d
Racer

After a super busy January with family and work, I was able to squeeze in the first track day of the year with HOD at Thunderhill 3 mile. It was cold but sunny; perfect weather with a high of 58F! My R1S tires were on their 3rd and last day, but it was a good day to practice and kill them off.

Arriving and setting up!

There were a few other interesting cars, a 997 Cup, 991.2 Cup and the new Aventador SVJ coached by a pro driver. I changed the alignment and ride height setup a bit and it made a big impact on the overall balance of the car. Also tried the new Dundon headers which did not sound half bad Best time of the day was 1:55.4 on the 3 mile configuration over the hill (i.e. the slower version of the track), which was pretty good. With newer tires it would have definitely been down to 1:54s.

Here is a quick video of the sound for reference.

Also had a chance to ride along in a Civic Type R, which was mighty impressive for a 35K car; Honda really made something special. GotBlueMilk captured some sweet shots as usual as well.

I was going to do Sonoma next week, but work travel is unfortunately preventing me from that, so next even will have to be in March.

I also need to get new rotors and have a big decision to make in terms of switching from AP to a Brembo rotors, or swallowing the cost and getting a full setup including calipers. Unfortunately AP does not have the right calipers/setup for the 997 platform, which leaves me with choices between StopTech, the Brembo BM6 kit or the newly retrofitted PFC kit (i.e. 991 cup car brakes converted for street car use). PFC seems to be the way to go, but carries by far the highest cost. Let's see what happens!
Old 02-15-2020, 02:12 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Car looks great Adi. I was going to run Sonoma next week too but I'm in the same boat.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:15 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

wow, you make me look like a sunday driver :-)
Old 02-15-2020, 05:25 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Have you checked with Essex re AP...I have purchased maybe a dozen 997 GT3 sets from them so far. The J hook.no issues and excellent rotors.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:11 PM
adi_d
Racer

Yeah, that's what I currently use, the AP Jhook setup from Essex. I love the price/performance/durability ratio, but unfortunately the rear setup for the 997 platform uses a "floating hat" design, versus the usual "floating disk" design that the front end, or 991 or GT4 cars use.

What this means is that after a track season the aluminum hat gets chewed up from the retention clips and the rotor starts to move around and make noise, essentially making it sound like your rear suspension is falling apart

Technically, there is no performance degradation and I could simply put it in the "it's a race part - live with it" bucket, but for whatever reason I cannot get over the design concept, since the front pair works perfectly fine without that particular flaw. I spoke to Essex a number of times and the only real solution is to buy new hats every so often.

More important than the rotor/pad setup, I am also trying to upgrade the caliper itself, and unfortunately AP/Essex do not have their RadiCal kit for the 997 GT3 platform either. I believe they have all the needed parts, but they never took a measurement on a 997.2 GT3.

So it will come down to finding the most convenient and cost effective alternative.
JPSimpson (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 12:11 AM
adi_d
Racer

Well it has been a couple of busy weeks, so three separate updates. I was able to go back to Thunderhill for the weekend with HOD on 3/7 and 3/8. Since HOD is serious business needed some new brake pads and tires!

Big purpose of the weekend was social, but also wanted to try and apply some new learnings at this track. Arriving and setting up is always exciting!

The first day it was raining so not much driving, other than warming up and making sure everything works to spec. The second day was much more exciting and I was fortunate enough to have a pro driver chase me in a race prepped S2000. It served two purposes...1) woke me up and made me try to go faster and 2) demonstrated how much more I have to go in terms of skill.

Here is a quick video of the session...realize that the S2000 is much lighter and has 300HP, but is extremely well setup and driven by someone with far superior skill. The camera is on my rear bumper, with the sound coming from my car.

The biggest lesson this weekend was the fact that my car can take Turn 8 without any braking. For those that know Thunderhill they probably know that T8 is most definitely one of the more "***-clenching" turns and for the Bay Area tracks, it is only rivaled by T10 at Sonoma and maybe T6/9 at Laguna in terms of speed and danger. Going flat through there allowed me to increase my minimum apex speed from 102-104 mph to 106-110 mph depending how brave I felt! If you don't get the turn in right, it can definitely go wrong fast!

This realization then opened up speed at T9 and T1, dropping my times and consistency significantly. The car, with me driving, can now do consistent low 1:56 lap times with some 1:55s in there. My best for the weekend was a 1:55.5, with my overall best time being 1:55.02.

It was quite a bit of new information to absorb, so I am sure in another event or two i should be able to get consistently into 1:55s. This is always my favorite thing about this hobby - the continuous learning!
Old 03-15-2020, 03:15 PM
JPSimpson
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default On crack

Wow, that sound! No noice limits on that track?
thank you for sharing with us.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:33 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Adi was kind enough to show me his car. He has tons of trick bits everywhere. Awesome statement that we still have something for GT4s and 991 GT3s....
Old 03-15-2020, 04:41 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by JPSimpson
Wow, that sound! No noice limits on that track?
thank you for sharing with us.
Thanks! The mic is placed above the exhaust so it comes through in the video. The tracks here have a 103db limit, which I pass easily and I have a method where the car passes the 90db Laguna days as well. I did have race headers that were about 113-115db but I felt like they were going to shatter my windows at 8k rpm!

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
Adi was kind enough to show me his car. He has tons of trick bits everywhere. Awesome statement that we still have something for GT4s and 991 GT3s....
Was a pleasure having you over Josh. My car is definitely modified, but it has been a journey. As my skill improves so does the car. Something satisfying about making it your own!

Quick Reply: Antique Tracking