iCarsoft updater will not work

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:00 PM
tapper56
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iCarsoft updater will not work

Hi

I am the proud owner of a 2006 911S and new Rennlist member in the Washington DC area. After successfully replacing the window regulator I performed a function check without reconnecting the airbag causing an airbag fault. After reading all the comments on this forum about correcting this fault, I thought this might be a inexpensive (less that $100.00) trip to the local Porsche dealer to get the light reset. When I received an estimate for $170.00 to fix the issue, I went back to this forum for advice and purchased an iCarsoft PORII for $160.00 to reset my airbag warning light. My issue is the POR II unit will not load the updated files from the update tool. The (V2.3) update tool reads the serial number of my POR II and I have a green network status but the tool only gets to 14% before I get a error reading ”your selected ICarsoft disk has been removed” and the update tool stops working. This is the second PORII I have purchased since the first one did the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions? I find it hard to believe that I received two bad iCarSoft units.

Thanks, Tim
Fairfax Station VA
Old 07-15-2017, 09:22 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Hard to believe you received two bad devices - have you tried another computer (more memory, etc.)? What are the computer requirements for updating the software? Mac or PC?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:27 AM
tapper56
Intermediate

Default PORII needs Windows operating system, I need a beer

I agree with you that I did not receive two POR II with the same problems. The user guide specifies that the updater software only works with a Windows operating system and I am running Windows Vista on this laptop which could be the issue. I will take this unit to a friends house and run the updater tool on his PC. I hope the POR II works as advertised.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought one of those but I haven't unboxed it yet. My question is, did you try using it without upgrading firmware? And did it not work properly? I was under the assumption that the latest firmware would only be necessary for a newer car. The first of these units came out long after '05-'06 so shouldn't even the original firmware be sufficient for those MY's?
Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 PM
tapper56
Intermediate

out of the box the first PORII did not have the airbag reset capability. The new updater software provides that capability. Without the update the system could do a lot just not reset the airbag.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:42 PM
tapper56
Intermediate

Default Problem Solved!

Using a computer with Windows 10 I updated my PORII software and found a loose connection on the passenger side head airbag. iCarsoft PORII worked as promised.

Thanks for all the help from forum users,
Tim
Old 07-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My laptop has Windows 8, hoping it's new enough to work with the updater.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:54 PM
tapper56
Intermediate

Default Good Luck

If Windows 8 recognized the TF card reader as a drive it will download the software updates. After the download put the TF card back in the PORII and it completes the update and you are ready to go.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 PM
phunboy
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I too have a 2006 997.1, and just wondering if the iCarsoft PORII can reset the maintenance reminder. Amy feedback is welcomed. Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 AM
tapper56
Intermediate

Default ICarsoft Reset Function

Hi
the PORII has a Oil Lamp Reset function that reset my service interval but I have no idea what the new interval is. There is also a ETCS and DPF reset functions as well.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure none of these devices can properly set the oil and maintenance intervals to the time/distance values you would need for a proper post-maintenance configuation to have it remind you at the correct mileage/time going forward.

They all set things to the maximum major service intervals via a reset - and that depends on the car. For the 997.2 I believe its 20k miles/2 years each time your reset it. So your almost disabling the feature for all intents and purposes as you need to track the next service for things manually the old fashioned way by calendar and maintenance schedule in the manual.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:07 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

My PortII will reset the time interval to 1 year and the mileage to 10K. Since I don't put near the 10K miles a year, the car will remind me in 365 days after I reset it.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:28 PM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
I joined the rennlist just to help you since I was having the same issue!
On page 18 of iCarsoft manual, it said "8. Install the TF card from the tool into the supplied USB TF card reader and insert into USB port of CPU" CPU mean your computer. However, my package doesn't come with the external TF card reader so I bought one. After you plug the TF card into your computer, find out which drive letter your computer map the TF car to. (E or F or G or H etc.). Then you can select the right drive for the software to copy the download files over. Good luck with the update.
Francis

Originally Posted by tapper56
Hi

I am the proud owner of a 2006 911S and new Rennlist member in the Washington DC area. After successfully replacing the window regulator I performed a function check without reconnecting the airbag causing an airbag fault. After reading all the comments on this forum about correcting this fault, I thought this might be a inexpensive (less that $100.00) trip to the local Porsche dealer to get the light reset. When I received an estimate for $170.00 to fix the issue, I went back to this forum for advice and purchased an iCarsoft PORII for $160.00 to reset my airbag warning light. My issue is the POR II unit will not load the updated files from the update tool. The (V2.3) update tool reads the serial number of my POR II and I have a green network status but the tool only gets to 14% before I get a error reading ”your selected ICarsoft disk has been removed” and the update tool stops working. This is the second PORII I have purchased since the first one did the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions? I find it hard to believe that I received two bad iCarSoft units.

Thanks, Tim
Fairfax Station VA
Old 09-10-2017, 08:30 PM
tapper56
Intermediate

Smile Happy with my PORII

Francis

I am impressed you joined Rennlist to help a fellow Porsche owner. I am very pleased with my PORII once I used a newer version of Window to update the software. Great tool for the price! Fall has arrived and I will keep the top down until it snows again in Northern Virginia!

Tim
Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM
radarvec
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by tapper56
Hi

Thanks, Tim
Fairfax Station VA
Tim,

I'm having the same issue, did you find a fix by any chance?

Thanks,

Jordan

Quick Reply: iCarsoft updater will not work